HT3 for 2 Channel Home Theater

kingdeezie

Re: HT3 for 2 Channel Home Theater
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2010, 03:19 pm »
I don't know much about Salk speakers, but I would be careful about using just two speakers while watching BDs.

Dolby Digital, in all its forms, including lossless audio codecs, when downconverted to a stereo mix, apply a dynamic compression.

For instance, on several systems I have heard, there was a noticeable difference on The Dark Knight BD when switching between Phantom Center and Actual Center. A few buddies of mine tried it at my house and all of their's to try and replicate the findings.

I was also trying to simplify and ditch my center channel since it isn't up to snuff with my mains; but found that on Dolby TrueHD movies, there was a loss of dynamics and punch with phantom center engaged.

YMMV, but just giving the heads up.   

vintagebob

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jan 2010, 05:39 pm »
Helllooo Bob!

It seems you are always inviting people over for a listen, and boy, I would love to come over for an audition, but since I am in the Philippines, maybe I could take a rain check.

But I would still really love to hear your impressions of your sound. :eyebrows:

I am so happy that I found you because after looking at your gear, it is amazing how I am almost going down the same path as you. :thumb:

I had already narrowed down my speakers to the awesome Salk HT-TL2s that you have, and after seeing the sc-05 in your set up, I read up on it, and it sounds really impressive (or maybe even the sc-25/27).

I am even leaning towards AVA gear for LCR channels and I really wanted to ask you how you like the integration of the AVA gear with the receiver? And is there enough power in the AVA Insight Double 240/3.

Do you have remote capability? When you want to listen to hi-rez sound is it like flipping on switches in the cockpit of a 747, or does it all fire up with one button?

I think your TL2s look fantastic. Is that the honey oak? Does the center veneer match? It seems dar
Any more pictures/close-ups from different angles including the surrounds?

Also love your center stand. Where did you find it?

Anyways, sorry for all the questions. I think I need to calm down. :lol:

Best Regards,
Ken

The SC-05 has been a good choice, especially for the price.  It sounds good by itself but the AVA gear "extends" the music with more bass impact, clearer highs, more dynamic range and a wider deeper soundstage.  I've never had a problem with power from the 240/3 Double but I don't listen at super rowdy levels.  If you have a very large room and want mega volume a larger amp for the HT2-TLs MAY be in order.

My AVA gear is integrated using moeaudio's method described here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71366.0

Using the system for movies or multi-channel music involves switching the preamp to the SC-05 source and then level matching the volume which just happens to be exactly at 12:00 on the AVA Insight EC preamp so it easy to remember.  After that I can use my Logitech One universal remote for everything.

When listening to 2-channel I use the remote that came with the Insight preamp for volume control.

The Honey Oak finish is matched on all 5 speakers.  They just look reddish with a flash.  The side view of the HT-1 below (which I use for surrounds) was taken in natural light and reflects the true finish color.  Jim can use some red dye though to make a reddish finish to the oak if that is what you like.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:52 am »
I have SAlk setups
both a two channel and a surround setup
each dedicated rooms and no wife to tell me no

(no back channels by salk yet - that's the last thing to upgrade)

two channel includes Veracity 3's  - wow
resolving, tonally balanced, disappears in room and goes plenty low enough

the home theatre  V3's and monster sub
these are the ones photoed on the salk website

On movies, especially non action,  a lot of sound comes through the center channel, especially dialog, so HT2tl and center sounds good 

I would lean toward the VT3's. If  JIm hasn't started yet and you have the room purchase the vt3's and the center later (get a used lower end center now - B&W, paradyn(?) have one). You wil probably need a sub for the HT2tl, but not the VT3. I have a JL Audio f113 that works incredible with the V3's - very explosive when needed.

here is your choices as I see it
look at long term adaptability, expense and upgrade elements

so HT2 with center now - sub later
or HT3 - cheap center now - no sub later
as anything  budget concerns and ymmv

get Jim and Dennis' opinion
I live with it every day
but they design and build it
also anything SALK is GREAT and light years beyond the competition at these price points

also look at the Arcam surround receiver - it's British,  sounds more refined and lifelike than most 5.1 or 7.1 receivers.  I love mine and no upgrade itis.

I would also later consider upgrading the blu ray source to the Oppo blueray with their upgrade or outside upgrade by Tweak Audio/AVS - Ric Schultz is a wonderful upgrade guy and some of his work is not as expensive as oppo

enjoy the sonic quest

I'm in New Orleans if you want to hear for yourself

tom