Is FM bound for the graveyard?

turkey

Re: Is FM bound for the graveyard?
« Reply #80 on: 19 Nov 2009, 07:44 pm »
Who likes pledge drives? Haven't they become hackneyed and too frequent and too long?

They're a necessary evil, because people have to be reminded to donate (and maybe made to feel a bit guilty if they don't).

One of my local NPR stations holds pledge drives only twice a year, Spring and Fall. They make sure everyone knows they are doing this and that if it stops working they will have to go to more drives. So there's two weeks a year when I hear pleas for money. I always donate in the Spring.

On the other hand, anyone who calls for the end of public broadcasting should be viewed as an enemy of the people.

I think public radio and TV are positive things that wind up benefiting the whole country, whether you actually watch or listen to them or not.

turkey

« Reply #81 on: 19 Nov 2009, 07:45 pm »
On the other hand, anyone who calls for the end of public broadcasting should be viewed as an enemy of the people.

Then I quess I'm the enemy of the people.

Nah, you're just a skinflint. :)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #82 on: 19 Nov 2009, 07:57 pm »
Google KVNF in Paonia, Colorado and stream it for awhile. I just discovered that I can receive it and I am delighted. This is an example of public radio and it is unlikely to succumb to financial distress.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #83 on: 19 Nov 2009, 08:04 pm »
I agree HD radio will not solve the problem. But radio (not just FM) was going broke *before* there was an HD radio and will continue at a very accelerated pace. I am not particularly happy about it but it's no longer a viable economic proposition. Too many other very good ways to listen without having to "pay" in the form of ads.

Brett
the present biz model for commercial radio is why it's having problems, plain & simple.  change the format to more than a limited choice of crap, make it sonically palatable, get rid of the expensive technology which only mucks up receptiuon and sonics anyway, and fm will be fine.

i have been enjoying fm radio for many many years, and haven't listened to any appreciable amount of commercial radio for about twenty years, since the old whfs sold out...  (sorry, wayner!   :lol: )

there will always be someone broadcasting on fm, and someone listening.  pay for it by listening to ads?  pay for it by donating in fund-drives?  pay for it in a monthly subscription?  no matter what medium you choose, you're gonna pay somehow...  when something like fm comes along that is at least as good sonically, and offers me the selections i like, lemme know...   8)

doug s.

Wayner

« Reply #84 on: 19 Nov 2009, 08:40 pm »
Then perhaps we need NPRM......National Public Radio Manufacturer.

Dan Kolton

« Reply #85 on: 19 Nov 2009, 09:01 pm »
I have had the xdr-f1hd for some time, and find it's sound quality sadly lacking compared to my AVA modified FM-5 Dynaco.  I does pull a few more stations, though.

Wayner

« Reply #86 on: 19 Nov 2009, 09:37 pm »
I was watching a Sony ES SA50ES on ickbay. It went for $100. I have one of these tunas (as Doug likes to call them) and thought it had some decent sound and pulled in and kept stations tuned. I don't really like having 2 of same of the same model, but the price was right and it was in great shape.

Wayner

Now Playing: DEVO, SHOUT on vinyl, of course!

cdorval1

« Reply #87 on: 19 Nov 2009, 11:38 pm »
I live in Central Washington State and I have a Sansui TU-9900 tuner that I have in my system and listen to local stations using the built-in antennae...but, I found that a lack interesting music has kept me from using it much.

I have often wondered, if I bought a good antennae, and mounted it high enough, if I could get decent stations many many miles away..maybe some of the stations in the Seattle area, or better ones?

If so, then I would start to use the radio again.
Like others, I used to listen to the radio alot when I was younger, especially as a teenager in the 70's...Dr. Demento, and many other programs that filled my time...

Rick

Rick,

You have a VERY good tuner.  There are as many experiences and opinions as people reading this, but mine is this.  Several months ago I put a Channel Master on our roof and can now get stations 130 miles away noise free and in stereo.  I use an Accuphase T-101 and a Kenwood 650T in different rooms.  If your home is not at an especially low elevation, and you're a reasonable distance from Seattle, it's worth experimenting with.  I'd be surprised if your Sansui doesn't respond.  Have fun.

Craig

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #88 on: 20 Nov 2009, 01:06 pm »
I live in Central Washington State and I have a Sansui TU-9900 tuner that I have in my system and listen to local stations using the built-in antennae...but, I found that a lack interesting music has kept me from using it much.

I have often wondered, if I bought a good antennae, and mounted it high enough, if I could get decent stations many many miles away..maybe some of the stations in the Seattle area, or better ones?

If so, then I would start to use the radio again.
Like others, I used to listen to the radio alot when I was younger, especially as a teenager in the 70's...Dr. Demento, and many other programs that filled my time...

Rick

Rick,

You have a VERY good tuner.  There are as many experiences and opinions as people reading this, but mine is this.  Several months ago I put a Channel Master on our roof and can now get stations 130 miles away noise free and in stereo.  I use an Accuphase T-101 and a Kenwood 650T in different rooms.  If your home is not at an especially low elevation, and you're a reasonable distance from Seattle, it's worth experimenting with.  I'd be surprised if your Sansui doesn't respond.  Have fun.

Craig
as seattle is on the west side of the cascades, this would still be difficult, tho a directional antenna mounted as high as possible is almost always your best bet, re: antennae...

doug s.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #89 on: 20 Nov 2009, 04:39 pm »
I was reading through some of the reviews on Amazon about the sony HD radio (which apparently stands for Hybrid Digital, not High Definition). Lot's of people there are having trouble getting decent reception, if any. It seems like a strange idea to have a hybrid tuner that can't make up its mind if it wants to be analog or digital. Is that really how the thing works? (I guess I have to buy one to find out.  :lol: ) I don't understand why people want to force the tuner into analog. Wouldn't you just use your regular tuner for analog?

With XM radio, you just plug in the supplied antenna, move it to a suitable location on the audio rack, and bingo! Full signal strength, no dropouts, zero noise. That's how good XM reception is in my area, anyway. Reception, not sound quality. The poor sound quality really got on my nerves, and that's the only reason why I didn't renew my subscription. Internet radio sounds just as bad, maybe worse, but at least its free. Well, sort of free. 

I'm guessing that the Sony and other HD tuners, even when they are working in HD (whatever that means), are also plagued with similar digital compression nasties.

Wayner

« Reply #90 on: 20 Nov 2009, 05:04 pm »
Quiet Earth,

The problem is distant stations with marginal reception. The tuner, with these types of signals, will switch back and forth from HD to analog FM, like a fringe station might switch between stereo and mono because of a fluctuating weak signal. The forced analog stops the oscillation. You need to have a good antenna and it would also be nice not to be in deep fringe of the broadcast antennas.

Wayner  :D

turkey

« Reply #91 on: 20 Nov 2009, 05:44 pm »
I was reading through some of the reviews on Amazon about the sony HD radio (which apparently stands for Hybrid Digital, not High Definition). Lot's of people there are having

I think the company that developed HD Radio wanted something that said "HD" so people would think it was high definition like with TV. So they picked something that would be abbreviated "HD."

I don't see that it's really a hybrid of anything.

trouble getting decent reception, if any. It seems like a strange idea to have a hybrid tuner that can't make up its mind if it wants to be analog or digital. Is that really how the thing works? (I guess I have to buy one to find out.  :lol: ) I don't understand why people want to force the tuner into analog. Wouldn't you just use your regular tuner for analog?

The Sony is both an analog FM tuner and is also capable of receiving HD Radio signals. It is a very capable tuner at both tasks, and just as an analog tuner is better than an awful lot of what have been called "supertuners."

Wayner was correct about some distant stations jumping in and out of HD. I've also found some stations where the analog signal sounds better than the HD one for whatever reason.

I'm guessing that the Sony and other HD tuners, even when they are working in HD (whatever that means), are also plagued with similar digital compression nasties.

Somewhat. It depends upon the station too. Stations can choose how many HD channels to offer. There's only so much data that can be transmitted, so if you divide it up into 2 or 3 channels, each channel is going to be of lower quality than if you used the whole thing for one channel. Unfortunately, it seems that most stations go for quantity rather than quality.

I feel it's a very high-quality tuner at a bargain price, and you don't have to pay a monthly fee to listen to it. As I said some posts back, it has brought back a lot of the fun and excitement of listening to the radio for me.

Satellite radio seems to make some sense for the car, since reception is solid and the ambient noise covers most of the artifacts caused by excessive compression anyway. (The satellite companies also chose quantity over quality.)

Internet radio is good because it lets people run a "radio station" that never could have done that (legally) before. There is a lot of content out there, and some of it is really interesting. I like seeing how other people relate to and think about music, and you get more of that from an amateur station than a polished commercial one.

I would hate to see regular broadcast radio go away, if for no other reason than there are so many radios out there and a lot of people really care for their old radios and tuners. I myself have an old Heathkit table radio that I assembled for my grandmother a long time ago. I inherited it when she passed away. I have it in my kitchen and I like to turn it on sometimes and listen while I'm working in the kitchen. I also have an old GE tube table radio that my parents listened to every morning for decades.

Radio connects me to my past. :)

There was my first radio of my own that I could listen to in my room. My Dad cobbled together some old stuff he had sitting around, and I had a radio. Twisting that knob and seeing what was out there was a magical experience for a 6 year old.

Or my first portable transistor radio with the little earphone. That got me in trouble in school listening to the ball game. I also wanted to listen to it more than my parents wanted to buy more batteries for me, so I had to ration my use of it.

I didn't get my first FM radio until I was about 13 and had a paper route. FM was a whole different world.

I'm sure a lot of other people feel much the same way about radio.

plaf26

« Reply #92 on: 20 Nov 2009, 05:51 pm »
I also have the Sony HD tuner.  I find that when it hunts back and forth between analog and digital, there is a time delay between the two versions of the same program (I forget which is ahead of the other) so that it is very annoying especially on music to hear a few seconds later what I just heard  :x.  That's when it would be especially helpful to be able to force analog.  I usually use the Sony when I'm just listening casually or for a short time or to listen to the HD channels that are not available on analog.  Otherwise I crank up the FM-3 and turn on a quiet little fan aimed at all those lovely glowing bottles! :wink:

martyo

« Reply #93 on: 20 Nov 2009, 05:58 pm »
I enjoy reading the "reflective" Turkey.

My first little 6 transister Toshiba was smaller than a pack of cigs and I too would listen to the world series in school.

Wayner

« Reply #94 on: 20 Nov 2009, 07:40 pm »
I also have the Sony HD tuner.  I find that when it hunts back and forth between analog and digital, there is a time delay between the two versions of the same program (I forget which is ahead of the other) so that it is very annoying especially on music to hear a few seconds later what I just heard  :x .  That's when it would be especially helpful to be able to force analog.  I usually use the Sony when I'm just listening casually or for a short time or to listen to the HD channels that are not available on analog.  Otherwise I crank up the FM-3 and turn on a quiet little fan aimed at all those lovely glowing bottles! ;)

One of our local stations had that problem (KQRS) and I called them about it. They didn't take the signal off the 7 second time delay and feed that to the digital portion. Very annoying. They did change it. Lots of radio stations do a time delay, especially if they have lots of callers that end up live on the radio. If they swear, this gives the engineer time to bleep them out before it hits the airwaves. Some engineer wanted the digital signal to be pure, you can't blame him for that, but when it switched from analog to HD, you would here the song, 7 seconds later from analog to HD (or actually the HD was ahead of the analog).

Wayner

Quiet Earth

« Reply #95 on: 20 Nov 2009, 10:20 pm »
Thanks for clarifying my Sony HD questions guys.

.....it has brought back a lot of the fun and excitement of listening to the radio for me.

Loud and clear.

Wayner

« Reply #96 on: 23 Nov 2009, 07:33 pm »
My Sony HD tuner has arrived and is up and running on system #2. I get 3 bars for signal strength on the one station that liked to ping-pong back and forth during the afternoon and at sunset. The Sony is not doing that. I have to give the edge to the Onkyo on sound quality, however. That's my initial impression, tho for $80, including shipping, the Sony is a no-brainer for casual or semi-serious listening. Usually this stations content gets better in the evening hours for me to get a better feel for the sound.

Wayner  :D

martyo

« Reply #97 on: 23 Nov 2009, 08:16 pm »
Your initial impression is positive, that's cool.  :thumb:

I've got a big buck tuna coming, hope it works out well for me too.  :wink:

Wayner

« Reply #98 on: 24 Nov 2009, 12:49 pm »
Today, the Sony HD tuner got a big thumbs down. Volatile memory. Remove power from the tuner (like plugging it into the switched outlet of an AVA preamp), and lose all the station programming. This is really a piss poor effort. I've had tuners that would hold memory for 2 years (after being in the closet) and spring to life with all stations still in programmed memory.

Wayner  :x

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #99 on: 24 Nov 2009, 01:09 pm »
Wayner - You should have read the customer reviews before purchase. There are repeated cautions about two things: heat and the lack of a backup memory. I agree that these, and the lack of direct station call up, are definite
considerations, but I figured the low price was the reason for these shortcomings. I don't intend to disconnect the tuner from its power source but outages will surely do that for me from time to time.

My tuner is en route.