USB Cable Comparison

droht

USB Cable Comparison
« on: 1 Aug 2009, 05:01 am »
My PC/desktop set up is my "serious" listening venue.  Given that, I was curious about USB cables and sound quality.  As a disclaimer I have to say I don't put much stock in higher price speaker cables or power chords.  I have tried moderate priced (<$150) options of each, and did not really hear any difference compared to stock PCs or just slightly above lamp chord speaker cables.

My standard USB cable was a generic one from Monoprice.  Add to that the following:

Kimber Kable 6.1% silver plated USB cable $65 for 2m
Cryo-treated USB cable from CryoParts $70 for 2m
Nirvana USB cable from Virtue Audio  $59 for 1m

When I evaluate something new I like to just throw it in and listen to it under normal conditions.  If I notice something in that scenario then I know the change is significant.  I tried that with these USB cables.  I found that when I listened casually or even semi-critically I could not tell one cable from the others.  I had to really work to hear a difference.  What I finally came up with is that the Kimber and CryoParts cables seem to provide a bit more microdynamics.  Very subtle nuances are a bit more apparent with those two cables as compared to Virtue and generic. Beyond that I am hard-pressed to tout any difference.  I checked SPL between all 4 for the hell of it, and they were basically the same.  For reference my system is PC/FLAC>USB>Topaz DAC>Virtue ONE amp>Usher S520 speakers.

My conclusion, to my ears on my system in my room, is that USB cables in this price class don't make a huge difference.  Having said that, I somehow still like the logic of spending a few bucks to have the peace of mind that a nicer cable can bring.  The Virtue Nirvana and the CryoParts cables are beefy and clearly look the part of premium cables.  The Kimber looks more like a standard USB cable, which actually makes it a bit easier to use, in terms of plugging it in and routing cable.

I know other folks have posted about significant differences with some of these cables.  My goal is not to argue that point or to convince anyone to stick to generic cables, rather the opposite.  I think our hobby is better served if more of us experience more things first hand, and then discuss them in at least a semi-intelligent manner.  :)  AC is great for that.  The Virtue and CryoParts cables were provided to me as loaners.  Those companies have agreed to allow those cables to be shared with the broader community here.  Big thanks to Jason and Seth at Virtue and Lee at CryoParts!  If anyone wants to check them out please post here.  All I ask is that you be willing to pay postage to send them on to next person who may want them, and maybe post some comments here.

generic - cryo - virtue - kimber

cryoparts

Re: USB Cable Comparison
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2009, 05:08 am »
  If anyone wants to check them out please post here.  All I ask is that you be willing to pay postage to send them on to next person who may want them, and maybe post some comments here.

Thanks for the impressions.

The above works for me, the CryoParts USB can make the rounds.

Peace,

Lee