Outstanding Demo 2-Channel SACDs

mathgeek97

Outstanding Demo 2-Channel SACDs
« on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:36 pm »
adydula started a great discussion about demo CDs.  Since I am now the proud owner of an OPPO BDP-83, I'd love to know what SACDs I could buy that have outstanding (read, "better than the RedBook CD version") 2-channel mixes?
Should I be looking at a different format?  Blu-ray audio?  DVD-Audio?  Downloaded 24/96 files?

-Kevin

audiocrazy

Re: Outstanding Demo 2-Channel SACDs
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:55 pm »
It really depends on what type of music you listen.
Check http://sa-cd.net/

There are various "Audiophile Reference SACD"
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_15?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=audiophile+reference&sprefix=audiophile+refe

Dire Straits- Brother in Arms
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the moon.
Eagles - Hell Freezes over (DVD-Audio)
http://www.amazon.com/Hell-Freezes-Over-Eagles/dp/B000007R0S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1244559371&sr=1-3

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2009, 03:52 pm »
Guys if you want, bring this discussion over to my new SACD-oriented Circle called the HiRez Music Circle.  We discuss all thinghs HiRez (SACD, DVD-Audio, 24 bit downloads, etc.)  Just an FYI

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2009, 04:51 pm »
Hello,

I have several SACD's and use the new OPPO BD83 to play them...some are good, some are not so good.

I have the Norah Jones CD and SACD and prefer the CD over the SACD, both are excellent but I think its more of what I am
used to, and maybe the quality of the reproduction on the SALK SongTowers.....my other speakers are not SALKS....

Be curious to here what others are saying about SACD's and the really 'good/great' ones.

Alex

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2009, 04:56 pm »
Hello,

I have several SACD's and use the new OPPO BD83 to play them...some are good, some are not so good.

I have the Norah Jones CD and SACD and prefer the CD over the SACD, both are excellent but I think its more of what I am
used to, and maybe the quality of the reproduction on the SALK SongTowers.....my other speakers are not SALKS....

Be curious to here what others are saying about SACD's and the really 'good/great' ones.

Alex

You probably know this but that Norah Jones SACD was inadvertently mastered from the 44k redbook cd, not the master tape...hence the 2 channel SACD is at best a duplicate which has gone through one more step...

My newly formed HiRez Circle is all about SACD discussions (and DVD-A, etc.) if you want to come over and browse.  We'd love your feedback and input.  I don't want to hijack, just want to direct comments like "Be curious to here what others are saying about SACD's and the really 'good/great' ones" over to a circle that does just that.

mathgeek97

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2009, 08:13 pm »
You probably know this but that Norah Jones SACD was inadvertently mastered from the 44k redbook cd, not the master tape...hence the 2 channel SACD is at best a duplicate which has gone through one more step...

My newly formed HiRez Circle is all about SACD discussions (and DVD-A, etc.) if you want to come over and browse.  We'd love your feedback and input.  I don't want to hijack, just want to direct comments like "Be curious to here what others are saying about SACD's and the really 'good/great' ones" over to a circle that does just that.

Ted,

I had read about the Norah Jones 2-ch SACD mess up over at Amazon, of all places...

I have actually read through everything in your circle as of Sunday.  Good stuff!  The great news for me is that I was able to download some classical music at 24/96 and 24/192 (2-channel only for me) and burn them to DVD-A thanks to the open source project at dvd-audio.sourceforge.net (I used the GUI version, which took some tinkering and some extra downloading, and the input files were FLAC format).
The bad news is that Jim is still building my speakers, but the OPPO BDP-83 handled both 24/96 and 24/192 tracks just fine.  The good news is that I haven't lost my mind, yet, while waiting for HT2-TL goodness!

-Kevin

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2009, 09:43 pm »

The bad news is that Jim is still building my speakers

-Kevin

No, that is the good news.  The bad news would be if Jim stopped building your speakers.   :D

TomQ

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2009, 03:47 am »
Since you have the oppo BD83  try the chris botti live B-ray has pcm surround sound 96/24 sounds great on the H3 direct 2 channel
another demo disk with lots of character is the live from abbey rd season one, great collection of artists doing  different songs from what you would expect, the oppo handles all the different  audios,
I send it direct to my Integra 9.8 then direct to the amp and H3's  really fabulous sounds with the H3's, nice way to demo your speakers.

HerculePirate

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2009, 06:47 am »

mathgeek97

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2009, 02:41 pm »
Since you have the oppo BD83  try the chris botti live B-ray has pcm surround sound 96/24 sounds great on the H3 direct 2 channel
another demo disk with lots of character is the live from abbey rd season one, great collection of artists doing  different songs from what you would expect, the oppo handles all the different  audios,
I send it direct to my Integra 9.8 then direct to the amp and H3's  really fabulous sounds with the H3's, nice way to demo your speakers.

Tom,
So, the OPPO is downmixing this to 2-channel and it sounds good?  Using the analog outs or HDMI?
I originally started this thread knowing that the SACD specs require a 2-channel mix and was thinking that 5.1 downmixed in my player or reciever wouldn't sound too great.  Am I mistaken?
-Kevin

TomQ

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2009, 10:24 pm »
I connect the oppo via HDMI and select which audio mix on the blu-ray, sending it to the Integra. The blu-ray contains different audio mixes, so I am not downmixing but selecting different audio. the output is bitstream for hdmi audio, pcm for sacd via hdmi. That was based on using a oppo 980 HDMI to the Integra 9.8. I preferred the PCM to the DSD so stayed the same when i replaced that oppo with the new BD-83. Then I compare different direct streams using the Integra, direct, stereo, dolby trueHD, so on.
ie another example, "legends of Jazz" blu-ray contains Dolby TrueHD, dolby  Digital 5.1 and PCM stereo. Each sounds different, but I prefer the Dolby TrueHD using the oppo. The soundstage sounds larger and each note/instrument is clear and crisp. Easy with the oppo to compare the different audio streams. T

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2009, 10:49 pm »
I concur with the PCM path rather than the DSD on SACD. Also I have found the DVD-A & blu-ray sound to be excellent. Have you tried the 2channel analog output of the BD-83? I connect ed this to my CD input to have analog sound.  So the BD-83 plays both though my DVD and my CD inputs.

Have you found different sound levels depending on the choice of formats with the BD-83?  I find the PCM a lot louder compared to the DSD strait output?

RadioWonder

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2009, 02:53 pm »
MA Recordings...

Quote from website:

"Music With a Mind of Its Own

Established in Japan in the spring of 1988, the MA label continues to issue provocatively creative musical statements in strictly acoustic settings.

While presenting mostly original music with elements of improvisation, structure, and traditional touchstones, the label is also "traveling" to lesser known areas such as Southern Siberia and Macedonia for some slightly different musical moments.

Technically speaking, the recordings are produced with only two omni-directional microphones, the signals of which are "fed" through exotic audio cabling into handmade and customized recording equipment, designed specifically for MA .

The MA website brings the newcomer "into the fold" and the enthusiast up to date, and also lists a few of the projects that are to be released in the future. Additionally, the new Series Momentum sub-label is introduced, presenting recordings not necessarily produced by MA, but which are never the less of musical integrity and deserve to be made available to the public."

http://www.marecordings.com/main/default.php

Try this 3 hour sampler SACD/CD... It is fantastic!!!
http://www.marecordings.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=108

jazzcat1

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2009, 09:16 pm »
Guys if you want, bring this discussion over to my new SACD-oriented Circle called the HiRez Music Circle.  We discuss all thinghs HiRez (SACD, DVD-Audio, 24 bit downloads, etc.)  Just an FYI

Great Circle, ted! Good info on downloads, etc (my next venture)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2009, 09:29 pm »
MA Recordings...

Quote from website:

"Music With a Mind of Its Own

Established in Japan in the spring of 1988, the MA label continues to issue provocatively creative musical statements in strictly acoustic settings.

While presenting mostly original music with elements of improvisation, structure, and traditional touchstones, the label is also "traveling" to lesser known areas such as Southern Siberia and Macedonia for some slightly different musical moments.

Technically speaking, the recordings are produced with only two omni-directional microphones, the signals of which are "fed" through exotic audio cabling into handmade and customized recording equipment, designed specifically for MA .

The MA website brings the newcomer "into the fold" and the enthusiast up to date, and also lists a few of the projects that are to be released in the future. Additionally, the new Series Momentum sub-label is introduced, presenting recordings not necessarily produced by MA, but which are never the less of musical integrity and deserve to be made available to the public."

http://www.marecordings.com/main/default.php

Try this 3 hour sampler SACD/CD... It is fantastic!!!
http://www.marecordings.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=108

Wow, I didn't even know Todd and MA had SACD recordings.  I met Todd Garfinkle and his father at their RMAF room back on '08.  They were two of the nicest guys (met Cookie Marenco of BlueCoast for the first time that same day; guess all these hi-end recording folks are great people!!).  I had already owned the 6Moons sampler (Music In a Bottle) and ended up buying a few more from Todd, including two Sera Una Noche recordings.   Some of his stuff is always on my demo playlists!   Net/net, his redbook stuff sounds like SACD...I can't imagine what his SACD stuff sounds like!!  Very cool.  Thanks!

Jazzcat1, thanks for the nice comments.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2009, 01:52 am »
Just got Tommy by the WHO in SACD. Its really great and the PCM on my OPPO BD 83 sounds better to me than DSD and my receiver supports direct DSD via HDMI 1.3a.

The 2 Ch PCM although good is anemic compared to the SACD..the OPPO makes comparing the various sound tracks easy to do on the fly with a one button push...

All the best
Alex

RadioWonder

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2009, 11:33 am »

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2009, 02:15 pm »
That FIM sampler has been a favorite ofmine since it was released 6 years ago.  A great eclectic set of tunes, and the SACD quality is incredible.   :thumb: :thumb:

rlmacklin

« Reply #18 on: 19 Aug 2009, 02:28 pm »
The "Quality of Silence" by the Steve Davis Project
is another outstanding 2-channel SACD that's excellent
for demonstration and comparison purposes.

http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Silence-Steve-Davis-Project/dp/B0000500CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1250692074&sr=1-1

jazzcat1

« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2009, 12:37 pm »
The "Quality of Silence" by the Steve Davis Project
is another outstanding 2-channel SACD that's excellent
for demonstration and comparison purposes.

http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Silence-Steve-Davis-Project/dp/B0000500CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1250692074&sr=1-1

That album in SACD is apparently hard to come by. I listened to every song sample and it would definitely be worth looking into. I'll continue searching. Thanks for the recommendation. It is doubtful that the $17.50 offering is in SACD format.