Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

TJHUB

Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #700 on: 15 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm »
From which machine are your trying to launch GMPC?

I've done it from a Windows XP laptop and my main computer I use to control my music streamers, a Windows 7 netbook.  It acts the same for both computers.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #701 on: 15 Jul 2011, 10:54 pm »
I've done it from a Windows XP laptop and my main computer I use to control my music streamers, a Windows 7 netbook.  It acts the same for both computers.

So you're using the Windows port of GMPC. And it's asking you for the root admin password? You didn't by any chance set a password in mpd.conf, did you?

Did you try playing some music by running a local copy of an mpd client on the Alix? Thats is, ssh into Alix via PuTTy, type (as normal user) ncmpc.

TJHUB

« Reply #702 on: 15 Jul 2011, 11:08 pm »
So you're using the Windows port of GMPC. And it's asking you for the root admin password? You didn't by any chance set a password in mpd.conf, did you?

Did you try playing some music by running a local copy of an mpd client on the Alix? Thats is, ssh into Alix via PuTTy, type (as normal user) ncmpc.

I am using a Windows port of GMPC.  When I enter the preferences for the connection, it asks for the following:

When I have "mpduser" as the "user" in the mpd.conf file, I get the network error.  If I have "root", GMPC works fine.

I'll try the Putty thing now...

TJHUB

« Reply #703 on: 15 Jul 2011, 11:24 pm »
When I run "ncmpc" logging in as root or mpduser, I get a "failed to resolve host name", but it does start the program. 

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #704 on: 16 Jul 2011, 01:44 am »
When I run "ncmpc" logging in as root or mpduser, I get a "failed to resolve host name", but it does start the program.

Try ncmpc -h (your ip address number) -p (our port number)

TJHUB

« Reply #705 on: 16 Jul 2011, 10:52 am »
Try ncmpc -h (your ip address number) -p (our port number)

Logged in as "mpduser" with the above command line, it works.  So if it works directly on the Alix, why wouldn't it work for GMPC?

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #706 on: 16 Jul 2011, 03:41 pm »
Logged in as "mpduser" with the above command line, it works.  So if it works directly on the Alix, why wouldn't it work for GMPC?

Maybe it's a permission problem on the Windows side?  But more importantly, do you get audio?

TJHUB

« Reply #707 on: 16 Jul 2011, 03:50 pm »
Maybe it's a permission problem on the Windows side?  But more importantly, do you get audio?

What are the controls for the ncmpc player?  I will check if I get audio once I know that. 

I wish I understood stupid Windows permissions better, but if it was Windows, then why would anything work including "root"?

I may have an IT friend visiting me today, I'll see what he has to say.  He's coming to hear the Alix. 

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #708 on: 16 Jul 2011, 04:56 pm »
What are the controls for the ncmpc player?  I will check if I get audio once I know that. 

I wish I understood stupid Windows permissions better, but if it was Windows, then why would anything work including "root"?

I may have an IT friend visiting me today, I'll see what he has to say.  He's coming to hear the Alix.

The first line at the top has the numbers to the shortcuts. Press 1 for the help menu.

TJHUB

« Reply #709 on: 17 Jul 2011, 01:24 am »
ncmpc with that command line works and plays music just fine.  I was able to navigate to any track and play it.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #710 on: 17 Jul 2011, 01:31 am »
ncmpc with that command line works and plays music just fine.  I was able to navigate to any track and play it.

Ok. So you Alix seems to have all the permissions set up fine. It sounds like it a Windows issue. If you want to be really sure then boot the Ubuntu Live CD on on of your other machine (i.e., not the Windows machine that has you music on it) and see if GMPC or ncmpc will connect.

I'm glad you're at least getting music through your DAC. Very proud of you.

TJHUB

« Reply #711 on: 17 Jul 2011, 01:45 am »
Ok. So you Alix seems to have all the permissions set up fine. It sounds like it a Windows issue. If you want to be really sure then boot the Ubuntu Live CD on on of your other machine (i.e., not the Windows machine that has you music on it) and see if GMPC or ncmpc will connect.

I'm glad you're at least getting music through your DAC. Very proud of you.

I'll try that tomorrow. 

And thanks to you, Tom, and Ted for helping me so much.  You guys are great. 

The one thing I'm proud of is that I took the time to figure out how to fix my bad fstab file on a read-only CF card while not able to change permissions.  I was surprised that I found what I needed and got through it.  That was a big victory.  If I hadn't figured that out, my Alix would be on its way to Tom for "repair". 

I've learned a lot, but there is so much more I'd like to figure out with Linux.  I think I'll slow down a bit as things are running well for me.

One thing I'd like to note is that I deleted the user "mpduser" on my Windows XP server, and the Alix still works fine.  Apparently I didn't need that at all.  But it's still funny that if I don't have the "pass=mpduser" in the line of my fstab file, the Alix hangs waiting for one.  It seems that password is not good for anything?  Whatever...  It works, that's all that matters for the time being.

Listening to the Alix has proved interesting.  There are definitely things that are better than my Duet, but there are things that my Duet does better.  I'm working on a power supply next.  Hopefully that will take things up a level or two and I can sell my Duet.  For what it's worth, I pulled my Duet out of my setup and I'm only running the Alix.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #712 on: 17 Jul 2011, 01:51 am »
Listening to the Alix has proved interesting.  There are definitely things that are better than my Duet, but there are things that my Duet does better.  I'm working on a power supply next.  Hopefully that will take things up a level or two and I can sell my Duet.  For what it's worth, I pulled my Duet out of my setup and I'm only running the Alix.

The Duet is a Squeezbox product? How are you comparing the Alix and the Duet? Are they connected to the same DAC? Does the Duet have a USB out?

Also, what power supply are you using with the Alix now? The switching wall wart?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #713 on: 17 Jul 2011, 02:04 am »
I have the AC-US-tour Hynes PS that I loved so much with it.  It is waiting for another tour member or going back to Scotland.  I have an email into Paul (Hynes) about Terry getting it, then forwarding it on back to him.  It would be great chance to hear a world class audio-based linear ps that, IMO, took the Alix/MPD solution to a new level.   :thumb:

TJHUB

« Reply #714 on: 17 Jul 2011, 02:07 am »
The Duet is a Squeezbox product? How are you comparing the Alix and the Duet? Are they connected to the same DAC? Does the Duet have a USB out?

Also, what power supply are you using with the Alix now? The switching wall wart?

Yes the Duet is a Squeezebox.  Both the Alix and Duet are connected to my DAC, but the Duet is connected via digital coax.  I just switched inputs on the DAC to toggle between the two. The Duet does not have USB out. 

I had a good friend over today to help me listen.  We have proven time-and-time that we hear very similarly and have similar tastes.  We didn't focus on any A/B comparisons as the sound was easily distinguishable between the two.  But we both agreed that each has it's positives and negatives.  For me, the Alix does more good than bad, so that's why I'm using only it, and it's why I'm interested in some tweaking. 

I am using the switching wall-wart on the Alix.  I'm looking for a better solution.  Ted may be sending me the Paul Hynes he tried.  Something cheaper would be better, but I'm hearing some real promise with the Alix, and Ted claims a good power supply will make a huge difference.  I'm guessing he's very correct.  So maybe the cost will be worth it. 

I'm not saying my Music Hall DAC is anything magical, but it does sound incredibly good to me.  I've heard nothing better to date.  My Music Hall is modified though, with the main magic coming from Burson discrete opamps.  I'm pretty happy with the USB input performance.  And I have compared USB to digital coax in the past using my netbook as a source.  I didn't hear much of a difference with that source.  At least not as much difference as I do with the Alix. 

I do like GMPC as an interface.  It's quicker than Squeezebox Server via a web browser too.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #715 on: 17 Jul 2011, 03:38 am »
Glad it all worked out for you.   :thumb:

TJHUB

« Reply #716 on: 20 Jul 2011, 04:06 am »
Glad it all worked out for you.   :thumb:

Thanks Jason. :D

Ok gents.  Who has tried linear power supplies on their Alix, and what was it?

Can you describe how the sound changed with the power supply?

« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2011, 11:24 am by TJHUB »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #717 on: 20 Jul 2011, 04:33 am »

TJHUB

« Reply #718 on: 20 Jul 2011, 11:19 am »
Thanks Ted.  I had actually seen your posts prior to posting my question.  I was just hoping to see more options and statements from other Alix users.

I have formed my opinion on a bone stock Alix.  As you know, I have a "better" USB cable coming and Paul Hynes power supply.  I'm really looking forward to what these two things may do for the sound coming from the Alix. 

I don't know if it's my DAC or the Alix, but I'm not fond of the sound from the Alix.  It's very good in many ways, but it has specific issues I can't live with.  I was hoping to see something from other Alix users regarding how the sound changed when using different USB cables or better power supplies.   I need more than just the removal of "digititus" for me to like the sound.  So I'm not seeing what I was hopeful for, and I'm a bit concerned at this point.

Not to worry any potential users of the Alix, I am a VERY picky person when it comes to sonics.  I do hear a lot of good in the Alix, and earlier on, thought it could be a great solution for me as it did bring something to the sound I was looking for. 

As stated above, I have some things coming that could really affect the sound coming from the Alix, so I want to wait until I test them before really laying out what I think of everything.  I'll give the best impressions of everything next week.

I sure hope things work out because I really like the way the Alix works.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #719 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm »
Thanks Ted.  I had actually seen your posts prior to posting my question.  I was just hoping to see more options and statements from other Alix users.

I have formed my opinion on a bone stock Alix.  As you know, I have a "better" USB cable coming and Paul Hynes power supply.  I'm really looking forward to what these two things may do for the sound coming from the Alix. 

I don't know if it's my DAC or the Alix, but I'm not fond of the sound from the Alix.  It's very good in many ways, but it has specific issues I can't live with.  I was hoping to see something from other Alix users regarding how the sound changed when using different USB cables or better power supplies.   I need more than just the removal of "digititus" for me to like the sound.  So I'm not seeing what I was hopeful for, and I'm a bit concerned at this point.

Not to worry any potential users of the Alix, I am a VERY picky person when it comes to sonics.  I do hear a lot of good in the Alix, and earlier on, thought it could be a great solution for me as it did bring something to the sound I was looking for. 

As stated above, I have some things coming that could really affect the sound coming from the Alix, so I want to wait until I test them before really laying out what I think of everything.  I'll give the best impressions of everything next week.

I sure hope things work out because I really like the way the Alix works.

IS this the DAC you have? Link: http://www.musichallaudio.com/detail.php?p=68 Were you able to confirm that mpd and ALSA are not resmapling any of your data?

Also, the switching wall wart isn't terrible. The problem is that with different types or equipment and house wiring, it can introduce noise in some setups and maybe not in others.

You could also try a simple battery setup, i.e., 8 Lithium AA batteries and see if that is an improvement over the wall wart.