Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

nyc_paramedic

Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #220 on: 30 Nov 2010, 03:45 am »
Some experiments with a newly acquired Kindle:

With the right code, I think it will make one very nice mpd remote: Long battery life, no annoying back light, excellent contrast, runs Linux and is Linux friendly.

Thoughts?

TomS

« Reply #221 on: 30 Nov 2010, 06:32 pm »
Thanks to Nick, I'm up and running with my ClearOS 5.2 file server and Voyage MPD on Alix via USB to my Bryston BDA-1 (unfortunately only 24/44.1).  I'm using Minion on Firefox as the client for now and it seems to work great.

Now I just need to come up with a Linux compatible 24/192 USB converter ...

Thanks Nick!!!

jeffery

« Reply #222 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:06 am »
Hi, does Alix support Windows-7? I've found a lite version of Win7, there is only 3.71GB after intallation, and if closed the virtual memory, there is 2GB left, it's easy to put into a 4GB CF card, so if Alix support Win7, it will be a good news for peoples like me who are not familiar with Linux.

JDUBS

« Reply #223 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:15 am »
Hi, does Alix support Windows-7? I've found a lite version of Win7, there is only 3.71GB after intallation, and if closed the virtual memory, there is 2GB left, so if Alix support Win7, it will be a good news for peoples like me who are not familiar with Linux.

Part of the beauty of the Alix board is it's simplicity....which is exactly not what Windows (any iteration) is.  If you want to use Windows, you can put together a mini-itx-based computer (not quite as small as the Alix, but still tiny).  Voyage Linux is REALLY small and does not get in the way of the music playing like more overhead-heavy OSs, like Windows or Mac-OS can. 

There are a lot of resources to help you with Linux if you want to give it a go....its not a big investment at $125.

-Jim

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #224 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:16 am »
Hi, does Alix support Windows-7? I've found a lite version of Win7, there is only 3.71GB after intallation, and if closed the virtual memory, there is 2GB left, it's easy to put into a 4GB CF card, so if Alix support Win7, it will be a good news for peoples like me who are not familiar with Linux.

Yes, but only if you use alix 1D mini-itx or 3d3. Both have VGA, which is required for any Windows install.

http://www.pcengines.ch/alix3d3.htm

http://www.pcengines.ch/alix1d.htm

Both have Windows drivers available. You need the Alix 1d if you're going to use a PCI soundcard. 3d3 will be fine for only USB sound card.

P.S. I haven't run Windows in over 15(?) years. There are guys at the Audio Asylum, Computer Audio who can help with Window; a cics and cmp^2 thread is what you're looking for.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #225 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:19 am »
There are a lot of resources to help you with Linux if you want to give it a go....its not a big investment at $125.

I agree. We can help you get up and running. I'm confident we can.

Also, if you want to play it super safe, buy a 3d3. If you can't get Linux running then install Windows. But you'll have to look elsewhere for Windows computer audio support.

jeffery

« Reply #226 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:57 am »
Thanks. I am pretty good at Windows Audio, Linux will be my future plan.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #227 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:03 am »
Thanks. I am pretty good at Windows Audio, Linux will be my future plan.

As you wish.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #228 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:59 am »
Thanks to Nick, I'm up and running with my ClearOS 5.2 file server and Voyage MPD on Alix via USB to my Bryston BDA-1 (unfortunately only 24/44.1).  I'm using Minion on Firefox as the client for now and it seems to work great.

Now I just need to come up with a Linux compatible 24/192 USB converter ...

Thanks Nick!!!

No problem. Try the gmpc client, you might like it: http://gmpc.wikia.com/wiki/Gnome_Music_Player_Client

TomS

« Reply #229 on: 1 Dec 2010, 04:09 am »
installation looks a bit hairy on on OSX but I see it supports last.fm.  Any way to get Pandora?

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #230 on: 1 Dec 2010, 04:12 am »
installation looks a bit hairy on on OSX but I see it supports last.fm.  Any way to get Pandora?

Ah, I forgot you're an OS X guy. Umm, try Theremin? https://theremin.sigterm.eu/

TomS

« Reply #231 on: 1 Dec 2010, 09:54 pm »
No problem. Try the gmpc client, you might like it: http://gmpc.wikia.com/wiki/Gnome_Music_Player_Client
Installed this on XP laptop and it is VERY cool.  Locked up a couple times.  This would be really nice on an iPad or another tablet device...

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #232 on: 1 Dec 2010, 10:27 pm »
Installed this on XP laptop and it is VERY cool.  Locked up a couple times.  This would be really nice on an iPad or another tablet device...

iPad is an ARM cpu. You could use MPod: http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpod/
Not as full featured, but works really well on iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, so I've heard.

ebag4

« Reply #233 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:03 pm »
I use mPod and it does everything I need.  I agree, minion is excellent as well.

Best,
Ed

TomS

« Reply #234 on: 2 Dec 2010, 12:09 am »
So to get Minion to tell MPD to stream do I need to add an output to mpd.conf?  I streamed some tracks via gmpc on the XP machine, I could see what had been played on the Minion playlist on my Macbook, but can't figure out how to just start it from Minion.  I know, more Google...  sorry, I'm still learning.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #235 on: 2 Dec 2010, 12:29 am »
So to get Minion to tell MPD to stream do I need to add an output to mpd.conf?  I streamed some tracks via gmpc on the XP machine, I could see what had been played on the Minion playlist on my Macbook, but can't figure out how to just start it from Minion.  I know, more Google...  sorry, I'm still learning.

I don't understand your question. You're aksing how to get minion to start playback on the Alix (where mpd is running)?

TomS

« Reply #236 on: 2 Dec 2010, 12:31 am »
I can play from my library of ripped files.  Just wondering how to point it to a url/stream such as internet radio source.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #237 on: 2 Dec 2010, 12:40 am »
I can play from my library of ripped files.  Just wondering how to point it to a url/stream such as internet radio source.

Oh, OK. Let me give minion a whirl and see if it has an option to add a URL. Most fleshed out mpd clients (like gmpc) have a "Add URL" setting where paste th IP of your radio station.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #238 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:33 pm »
You guys are killin' me with this.   :duh:

Can the USB port be turned on / off?  I don't want the dac to always be on. 

ebag4

« Reply #239 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:50 pm »
You guys are killin' me with this.   :duh:

Can the USB port be turned on / off?  I don't want the dac to always be on.
Jason,
There is no switch on the Alix to allow it to be powered down (which is the only way you could turn off the USB AFAIK).  You could add a power switch, the Alix takes less than a minute to boot.

Best,
Ed