AVA Omega III 260 & Omega III SL preamp.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« on: 27 Aug 2003, 02:58 pm »
I have purchased this AVA preamp/amp combination based primarily on the reputation of AVA gear. [plus I think I got great prices on both pieces!] Just wanted peoples opinions on how good this combo is in relation, to say, compairably priced gear from Adcom/Rotel/Parasound/ect. I won't have them in my house for around a week as they slowly wind there way across the country. Also, what would be gained by having them upgraded to the current Omegastar models? How long does it take to have this done. These amps will be used with a pair of Paradigm Studio 20v.3's and an original Rega Planet CD player. I have high hopes for this system.

aln

« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2003, 12:48 pm »
Having used AVA gear for over 20 years, I can say that upgrading any of his equipment provides great sonic improvement. This is one of the best reasons to by AVA equipment-it never becomes obsolute!

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2003, 02:54 pm »
I just got my Fetvalve gear upgraded by AVA.  I'd listen to the Omega stuff for a while and (if funds permit) sent it in to Frank and Co. for modification.  Haven't listened to the models you mention, but I did hear an Omegastar amp on my system and thought it sounded better than the older Fetvalve design I was using.  The newer Fetvalve is another story.  It is a major step up from the older design.

AVA replaced the transformer in my preamp and performed a series of mods that improved my phono preamp and headphone amp.  They cleaned all switches, replaced the feet, and installed new tubes (my models are tube-hybrid designs).  AVA also gives three years warrantee on all modded units.  I believe you purchased your gear on the used market.  If they were well cared for and in good operating condition, you are in for a treat.  Keep us posted on your results...and don't be fooled by the looks of this gear.  All of the effort went in to the way it sounds!

J

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2003, 06:52 pm »
I have an Omega III amp powering my rears in my HT, and I also had a 3 channel Omega III upgraded to omegastar status for my fronts.  I will say that the Omegastar amps sound faster, more detailed, and clearer/cleaner overall.  BUT, the Omega III has a very nice sonic signature that some people here in Denver Audio Mafia prefer to both the Omegastar amp and the FetValve as well.  Of course they are "tube guys" and the Omega III has a warmer, more tubelike sound.  I think the Omega III stuff will mate absolutely wonderfully with your Paradigm speakers.