Salk Surround 1 reviews/impressions

cart

Salk Surround 1 reviews/impressions
« on: 1 Jun 2021, 10:59 am »
I'm on my phone so I will try to keep this brief. I have had the pioneer SP-BS22-LR since 2012 that I got on sale new for $30 and have quite enjoyed them. Was somewhat shocked to see the new revised version used is roughly $300 on Amazon but want a significant upgrade to my audio for primarily near field use and sometimes midfield use in a 12x12 room. I was referred to these speakers by polypeptide on the /r budgetphile forum after making a lengthy post (https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudiophile/comments/nj3dss/need_hardware_advice_for_pc_setup/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share). That user reviewed alot of the products I was looking at in a way a non technical person could.understand. I am looking for the best speakers for the money essentially and an amp to drove them  with the initial goal being $800-1200 though flexible. I want to feel like I'm there and be closer to the music. I've only had that experience once when invited to my old bosses house and got a sense that with the right clarity equipment and setting you can almost feel the violin string quiver or feel the intensity of  thomas pridgens turns his drum set into a vehicle of emotion. I listen to everything besides country, but not like I used to. I want to connect to my music like we all do when we are young and angsty. I want to feel myself weaved into their art.

I'm still fairly young and was somewhat forced to buy my first home so I wont be shaking the walls down with base and polypeptide also suggested as she has the only comprehensive review.. actually when they suggested it and I googled "salk surround 1" it was the first recommendation.

I'll also add since I was for a short time considering a diy I found it interesting she suggested Philharmonic audio mini monitor as a more affordable option. Ive thrown diy out the window cause I suspect with all the diying I'll be doing with the new place I'll not have that kind of motivation.

I've done alot of.reading about home audio and my.major take away is mostly they have insane profit margins. I was first wrapped up in the idea of the kef q150 but the idea they knock 50% off the price twice a year every year like klipsch and others seem.to just leaves a foul taste in my mouth.

All I really know is I want great soundstage, good at different listening angles, clarity, and well represented sound that wont be tiresome due to treble. Also a warm overall tone and well represented bass, not necessarily a punchy or "fun" base but accurate and pleasant for whatever the song may be.

I'll wrap this up as my insomnia seems to put me in a disposition to write essays.

So I'm somewhat wrapped up in the idea of salk being a brand that u get what u pay for and same for Philharmonics. Also, seeing both of the lead players from each brand on forums here and there comforts me as well. Salk seems to make their speakers as attractive as they are great to listen to. Also the strong sense of pride they have in their work vs getting a boxed set from Taiwan or China I can see why it would be time wasted hoping for a used set.. as you all seem to keep them till the grave. But before I drop nearly $1k on some speakers I'd like to hear some more opinions. Though I sense wharfedales are prob good for the money as well, but quite frankly the exclusivity of Salks... even the "cheap" ones has a strong appeal to me as I feel like I'm started to walk down that alluring path to far to go back if I'm being honest.

The music is coming from my PC and my current plan as has been suggested to me as I also want my headphones to use the same output on my pc. I'm looking at:

Yamaha  a-s501 > salk surround 1 and possibly/likely a 10" svs subwoofer down the road. Use the headphone line out to a proper headphone amp for my small collection of $200ish headphones. Also the a-s501 has the ability to connect a bluetooth component to it which I can appreciate.

I didnt wrap that up very well. If you read this far god bless you and I very much appreciate any input.

R Swerdlow

Re: Salk Surround 1 reviews/impressions
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2021, 05:14 pm »
Before I drop nearly $1k on some speakers I'd like to hear some more opinions. Though I sense wharfedales are prob good for the money as well, but quite frankly the exclusivity of Salks… even the "cheap" ones has a strong appeal to me as I feel like I'm started to walk down that alluring path to far to go back if I'm being honest.
I own a pair of DIY CAOW1 speakers, which I made in 2005.  They were originally designed by Dennis Murphy, and quite frankly, they sound excellent.  They're essentially the same speaker as the Song Surround I.  There is a rather small difference between the crossovers of  the CAOW1 and the SSI (don't worry about that), the SSI's woofer is close but not identical to that in the CAOW1 (again, don't worry), and Jim Salk's cabinet finishes are way above my pay grade.  I highly recommend any of his standard veneer finishes.  They look better than any furniture I've owned.

The redditt review that recommended the Salk SSI steered you in the right direction.  Dennis Murphy, in addition to a most excellent speaker designer, is a musician.  He plays violin, viola, and piano, mostly classical music.  His knowledge of what real musical instruments sound like led him to design speakers because nothing commercially available came close.  His speakers are (in my opinion) the world champs at creating a believable audio image of a musician sitting in your room, as opposed to a tiny musician sitting inside the speaker cabinet.  The critical mid-range sounds clear, detailed and present, without being crisp or etched sounding.  To my knowledge, all his designs accomplish that, even the inexpensive SSI.  If you pay more money, his designs can produce lower bass or more refined high frequencies, but they all share that mid-range quality.
The music is coming from my PC and my current plan as has been suggested to me as I also want my headphones to use the same output on my pc. I'm looking at:

Yamaha  A-S501 > Salk Surround 1 and possibly/likely a 10" svs subwoofer down the road. Use the headphone line out to a proper headphone amp for my small collection of $200ish headphones.  Also the a-s501 has the ability to connect a bluetooth component to it which I can appreciate.
The Yamaha A-S501 should provide enough power to drive the SSI speakers nicely.  They can handle greater power, but that Yamaha's 85 wpc should be enough.

My own experience with my CAOW1s has been with two different amps.  I first drove them with an old 30 wpc stereo receiver, a Marantz 2230.  It was a bit underwhelming.  I now use that same receiver as a pre-amp to drive an external amp that produces 105 wpc (a B&K ST-140).  Going from 30 to 105 wpc (about triple the power) made a very noticeable improvement.  Years ago, I tested a Yamaha A-S701 on my speakers, and it drove them well.  I haven't heard that Yamaha A-S501 in action, but I suspect it will be good enough.

The SSI can go as low as 50 Hz without a sub-woofer.  So listen to that first, before deciding on a sub-woofer.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2021, 07:22 pm »
I just read polypeptide147's review of the Song Surround I speakers.  I agree with most or all it said :).  In your price range, calling it an 'endgame' speaker is right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudiophile/comments/j98emf/salk_sound_songsurround_i_review/

cart

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2021, 04:30 am »
Sorry for the late reply. I just (finally) closed on my house today! It was already a great deal.. but after the previous occupants cleaned up and surely after my deep clean crew finish with it sunday. There is alot less painting it appears I'll have to deal with. I'm quite happy about this.

Either way. Thanks for the replies. Seems most Salk consumers are getting there tower systems that are well beyond anything I need or would like to spend... esp after my first home purchase. Though I'm still rather surprised there arent alot more reviews/owners of these speakers. Usually entry level to truly premium retail goods are a heavy portion of most manufactures (well.. so I would assume)
And while I'll admit I may be confirming my own biases.. It is nice to hear similar opinions.
And with all due thanks, still I would very much like to hear from an owner.

cart

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2021, 04:33 am »
I own a pair of DIY CAOW1 speakers, which I made in 2005.  They were originally designed by Dennis Murphy, and quite frankly, they sound excellent.  They're essentially the same speaker as the Song Surround I.  There is a rather small difference between the crossovers of  the CAOW1 and the SSI (don't worry about that), the SSI's woofer is close but not identical to that in the CAOW1 (again, don't worry), and Jim Salk's cabinet finishes are way above my pay grade.  I highly recommend any of his standard veneer finishes.  They look better than any furniture I've owned.

The redditt review that recommended the Salk SSI steered you in the right direction.  Dennis Murphy, in addition to a most excellent speaker designer, is a musician.  He plays violin, viola, and piano, mostly classical music.  His knowledge of what real musical instruments sound like led him to design speakers because nothing commercially available came close.  His speakers are (in my opinion) the world champs at creating a believable audio image of a musician sitting in your room, as opposed to a tiny musician sitting inside the speaker cabinet.  The critical mid-range sounds clear, detailed and present, without being crisp or etched sounding.  To my knowledge, all his designs accomplish that, even the inexpensive SSI.  If you pay more money, his designs can produce lower bass or more refined high frequencies, but they all share that mid-range quality.The Yamaha A-S501 should provide enough power to drive the SSI speakers nicely.  They can handle greater power, but that Yamaha's 85 wpc should be enough.

My own experience with my CAOW1s has been with two different amps.  I first drove them with an old 30 wpc stereo receiver, a Marantz 2230.  It was a bit underwhelming.  I now use that same receiver as a pre-amp to drive an external amp that produces 105 wpc (a B&K ST-140).  Going from 30 to 105 wpc (about triple the power) made a very noticeable improvement.  Years ago, I tested a Yamaha A-S701 on my speakers, and it drove them well.  I haven't heard that Yamaha A-S501 in action, but I suspect it will be good enough.

The SSI can go as low as 50 Hz without a sub-woofer.  So listen to that first, before deciding on a sub-woofer.

Thank you for your reply. Read my other reply as to my delay and further thanks. How is your evaluation of them as near field? I would assume 2-4ft away would be minimum 60% of my listening time with them.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2021, 04:33 pm »
Seems most Salk consumers are getting there tower systems that are well beyond anything I need or would like to spend... esp after my first home purchase. Though I'm still rather surprised there arent alot more reviews/owners of these speakers. Usually entry level to truly premium retail goods are a heavy portion of most manufactures (well.. so I would assume)

And while I'll admit I may be confirming my own biases.. It is nice to hear similar opinions.
And with all due thanks, still I would very much like to hear from an owner.
For what it's worth, here are the differences between my CAOW1s and the Salk SSI speakers.  Mine have the Seas CA15 woofer where the cone is made with coated paper.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-woofers/seas-prestige-ca15rly-h1216-5.5-coated-paper-cone-woofer/

The Salk SSI now uses the slightly different Seas ER15 woofer, where paper cone has addition reed fibers in it.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-woofers/seas-prestige-er15rly-h1455-5.5-reed-paper-cone-woofer/

They are quite similar sounding.  Other than the cone material, they have identical motors and construction.  If anything, the ER15 provides just a bit more detail that the CA15.

Also, the CAOW1 has a 2nd order crossover, while the SSI has a 4th order crossover.  I've heard both enough to know I don't hear a difference between those two crossover types.  Dennis Murphy claims he does hear a difference, but I know I don't.

All other things about these two speakers, the tweeters and most importantly, the speaker designer, are identical.
How is your evaluation of them as near field? I would assume 2-4ft away would be minimum 60% of my listening time with them.
I don't see any problem with listening to them 2-4 feet away.  I mostly listen to mine further away, but I have tried them in your distance range, and heard no problem at all.

In theory, when listening near field, the SSI with it's 4th order crossovers should have less problems than the 2nd order CAOW1.

Perhaps Jim Salk or Dennis Murphy might have something to say about that.

cart

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2021, 04:00 am »
Thanks for the input. I actually spoke with Salk over the phone for a good while and am going to move forward kn the songsurround 1... after I figure out the veneer.. and before july 1st.. haha.
Thanks again. I suppose I'll be the 2nd review of these speakers out there once I have them for a good while.  I'm excited and being somewhat of a natural pessimist.. still feel this is going to be one of those rare times where you can say that was one of the best purchases of my life type of deal...

also supporting a small, consumer oriented, american company that has woodwork that is nearly on par with its sound quality that uses components that larger manufacturers would only use on products many times what Salk is asking for... doesnt leave much room for this to be a disaster or even slightly disappointed.
 :thumb: