What Salk speaker for edm, industrial music and death metal?

AvsFan

I am talking with Jim today to come up with a game plan but wanted to be proactive. My music taste is very eclectic. I can be listening to Rage Against the Machine one minute and Diana Krall the next. Some of the music I listen to is very demanding and I like to crank it up at times and really get that palpable feel of kick drums and so on. First of all, are there Salk speakers that can do this? I want to be able to turn it up when I want to and not worry about frying a tweeter or blowing a speaker. But at the same time, I want to be able to listen to some jazz and acoustics at moderate levels as well. So looking for a speaker that can do it all. A refined speaker that can rock out when asked for.

I don't want to get replies to tell me to look at Klipsch or JBL's or something like that. I have already been there and done that and was not a fan at all. I am a sophisticated rocker. LOL  :D

djpk

Re: What Salk speaker for edm, industrial music and death metal?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2021, 04:10 pm »
I've heard Salk speakers at several RMAFs I have attended and I think you would be happy with anything Jim produces. I would also recommend taking a look at other manufacturers as well. I have speakers from Vapor Audio - the Auroras, and Odyssey Audio - Kismet speakers. They do well with any genre of music I listen to. I also listen to Industrial, Gabber, hard Techno, Stoner Rock, heavy metal, and even some classical occasionally. There are a lot of good manufacturers to choose from. I've purchased speakers from a variety of manufacturers as a result of my attendance at RMAF so if you have the opportunity to audition speakers, that would make your selection easier. 

AvsFan

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2021, 04:19 pm »
I've heard Salk speakers at several RMAFs I have attended and I think you would be happy with anything Jim produces. I would also recommend taking a look at other manufacturers as well. I have speakers from Vapor Audio - the Auroras, and Odyssey Audio - Kismet speakers. They do well with any genre of music I listen to. I also listen to Industrial, Gabber, hard Techno, Stoner Rock, heavy metal, and even some classical occasionally. There are a lot of good manufacturers to choose from. I've purchased speakers from a variety of manufacturers as a result of my attendance at RMAF so if you have the opportunity to audition speakers, that would make your selection easier.

You must be in Colorado.  :D

I am too and go to RMAF every year. Well besides 2020. I hope in 2021, we get it back!

I have heard Jim's speakers multiple times and the Salk room is always one of my favorites. In 2019, I think they were running Schiit Aegir's with his speakers.

One of the reasons I love Salk is because they put as much attention into the fit and finish as they do the sound. My next pair of speakers I want to be special and beautiful.

I've never heard of Vapor, I will look them up.

Thanks

Nsm1979

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2021, 04:32 pm »
I suggest you look at Spatial Audio.  Looking at the summary of your posts, it appears you have experience/knowledge of Cherry Amps, Planar and Omega speakers.  I really like the synergy of my Cherry Amps and my M series Spatial Audio speakers.  Although I don’t have first hand experience with planers or Omegas, from these forums have led me to believe there are some similar characteristics with the Spatials.  I listen to a wide verity of music as well.  I have the near bottom of the line, M4 Turbo S models that I supplement with a HSU sub.  Heavy music genres are very well produced and these things are built like tanks and came with a very long warranty, suggesting their durability.  Many have reviewed the M3 Saphire models with their 15” drivers without subs and rated them very high.  I find the Spatials do very well on a wide verity of music genres. 

Very happy Cherry Amp/Spatial Audio owner.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2021, 05:10 pm »
I have to agree, although my thoughts on Spatial's are somewhat dated. My experience goes back to M2 Turbo's. That said, I recall it being the first speaker I'd had in some time that was truly comfortable playing all genres. All I can say is there's something to be said for larger drivers and their ability to be both satisfying and comfortable playing a wide variety of music...especially rock. (this large driver theory goes for box speakers as well) Never felt I missed anything when Bill Evans or Patricia Barber came into play either.

AvsFan

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2021, 05:17 pm »
I have to agree, although my thoughts on Spatial's are somewhat dated. My experience goes back to M2 Turbo's. That said, I recall it being the first speaker I'd had in some time that was truly comfortable playing all genres. All I can say is there's something to be said for larger drivers and their ability to be both satisfying and comfortable playing a wide variety of music...especially rock. (this large driver theory goes for box speakers as well) Never felt I missed anything when Bill Evans or Patricia Barber came into play either.

Probably the reason why I like my ZU's so much. That 10" driver is a lot of fun. It's the most well rounded speaker I have come across so far.

Spatials have always intrigued me though. Don't they need a lot of room to breathe? 

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2021, 06:09 pm »
Any open baffle or panel will need a bit of room behind them to sound their best. I'm thinking roughly 3' minimum. Others may chime in, but I'm thinking open baffles may be able to slide by with a little less room in this regard than a Maggie for instance. I believe I only had roughly 30" behind my M2's.

Nsm1979

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2021, 06:47 pm »
I am running my M4 Turbo S models 50” from rear wall in a dedicated room.  At 36” they sounded really good, but continued to get even better as I inched them a little further out into the room.  I believe the current Saphire line has higher frequencies being radiated at the front wall than my Turbo S models.  Maybe Clayton Shaw or someone who has a current pair of Spatials can chime in.

JDoyle

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2021, 07:17 pm »
For the same reason, I chose the Salk Song 3 Encore’s.  I’m mostly into Jazz these days, but I still like Led Zep, ELP a JD the rest.
Newer Prog such as Steven Wilson sound great too.
And if I want to show off bass, Blade Runner 2049:2049 really rocks the house!

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2021, 07:32 pm »
My music taste is very eclectic. I can be listening to Rage Against the Machine one minute and Diana Krall the next. Some of the music I listen to is very demanding and I like to crank it up at times and really get that palpable feel of kick drums and so on. First of all, are there Salk speakers that can do this?

Since everyone is recommending their speakers, I'll recommend mine - The Salk Veracity HT2-TL, they can take a beating and keep on ticking.

My music taste ranges from Daft Punk, Yello, The Future Sound of London to Sara Bareilles, Nora Jones, and the new Jorma Kaukonen & John Hurlbut album "The River Flows" (it is excellent by the way) and everything inbetween. The HT2-TL handles it all beautifully.

The HT2-TL doesn't get much press since the Song3 lineup arrived, unfortunately I haven't heard the Song3 yet so I don't know how loud it can rock. In almost 10 years I have never reached the HT2-TL's limit, I bail first. Bass response is deep and punchy, a couple of years ago I added a REL sub crossed over at 30 Hz and it takes the sound to the next level. The RAAL tweeter is clear, clean, bullet proof and it won't peel paint off the walls at super high volumes.

I would think the two Seas Excel W18's - 7" midrange drivers in the HT2-TL would go louder than the single 4" midrange in the Song3 but the W18's are also handling the bass too so there may be a trade off.

Mick heard my speakers do Pink Floyd just a week ago, I think I saw him jump when the bells came in on "Time" off of "Dark Side of the Moon".

NoDisco

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2021, 07:57 pm »
Omegas with subs do the trick but I don’t go for concert levels.

rmdtexas

« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2021, 09:18 pm »
Without a price range, hard to assist, but I can go from Ozzy/Metallica to Diana Krall (or Holly Cole) to Shostakovich symphonies or cello concertos  in the same listening session.  And I am very happy with my Song3 BeATs combined with a Rythmik sub.

I needed more solid-state power than I originally thought, but the BeATs  paired with PS Audio M700 monoblocks, really open up. I can get >100db easily.

Not sure what they would do with tubes, but Jim showed these with McGary Audio SA-1 at 40-50 watts. My room is fairly large and opens to another part of the house, so that may be why I needed so much power.

Ledhead26

« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2021, 11:25 pm »
I just want to say my BeATs have been excellent on any type of music I have played through them. From Black Sabbath and Zeppelin to Nora Jones and Diana Krall. They do a great job of letting the emotion of the music show through.

Although not my cup of tea, a buddy of mine is big into the Hardcore music scene and every time he comes over we put some of his stuff on. He tells me my Salks sound better than anything he’s ever heard...for what it’s worth.

Rocket

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2021, 12:33 am »
Hi AVSFAN,

If you after Salk Sound speakers and wish to rock out with deep bass you probably couldn't go past the Song 3 Beats which have bass down to 25hz. I've had a pair of HT2's (non tl version) and currently have a pair of HT3's and Song 3's.  The song 3's are pretty good but if your after deep bass you should check out the Beats.  The HT3's have great slam and finesse but the bass driver is no longer available and they are notoriously difficult to drive.

Good luck with your decision.

cheers rod

rmdtexas

« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2021, 12:56 am »
Rocket, i think  you mean the Song3 Encores. the BeATs go to around 32hz using a 7.5 in Satori woofer.. The Encores have the 9.5in Satori woofer that goes to 25hz.

NoDisco

« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2021, 01:17 am »
BeATs with a sub or just encores? About the the same price. Beats a little easier to move around. Just curious. May be my next speaker after the omegas.

VinceT

« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2021, 01:31 am »
These look cool and will do it all and then some

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Exotica+3

Jenner

« Reply #17 on: 25 Feb 2021, 03:08 pm »
Since everyone is recommending their speakers, I'll recommend mine - The Salk Veracity HT2-TL, they can take a beating and keep on ticking.

My music taste ranges from Daft Punk, Yello, The Future Sound of London to Sara Bareilles, Nora Jones, and the new Jorma Kaukonen & John Hurlbut album "The River Flows" (it is excellent by the way) and everything inbetween. The HT2-TL handles it all beautifully.

I second this. I am also running Salk Veracity HT2-TL with a Rythmik G25HP. The combo is incredible. Alan Walker, ATB, BT, Deadmau5, Daft Punk, Orbital to list a few all sound fantastic. The RAAL tweeters are amazing on vocals and guitars.

If you want the really really deep base from EDM etc you need a sub to go with them and not just any sub. I had dual Salk custom built Rythmik 12s and they weren't adequate. The G25HP is unlike anything I have ever heard before in my life.

mick wolfe

« Reply #18 on: 25 Feb 2021, 05:02 pm »

The HT2-TL doesn't get much press since the Song3 lineup arrived, unfortunately I haven't heard the Song3 yet so I don't know how loud it can rock. In almost 10 years I have never reached the HT2-TL's limit, I bail first. Bass response is deep and punchy, a couple of years ago I added a REL sub crossed over at 30 Hz and it takes the sound to the next level. The RAAL tweeter is clear, clean, bullet proof and it won't peel paint off the walls at super high volumes.

I would think the two Seas Excel W18's - 7" midrange drivers in the HT2-TL would go louder than the single 4" midrange in the Song3 but the W18's are also handling the bass too so there may be a trade off.

Mick heard my speakers do Pink Floyd just a week ago, I think I saw him jump when the bells came in on "Time" off of "Dark Side of the Moon".

I have to agree. I had SongTowers for over a decade and when I first saw Wayne's HT2-TL's, I was shocked at the size difference. This not to mention the ability to play much louder with a greater sense of ease.

AvsFan

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2021, 06:59 pm »
I second this. I am also running Salk Veracity HT2-TL with a Rythmik G25HP. The combo is incredible. Alan Walker, ATB, BT, Deadmau5, Daft Punk, Orbital to list a few all sound fantastic. The RAAL tweeters are amazing on vocals and guitars.

If you want the really really deep base from EDM etc you need a sub to go with them and not just any sub. I had dual Salk custom built Rythmik 12s and they weren't adequate. The G25HP is unlike anything I have ever heard before in my life.

I've tried subs multiple times in this room and I just don't like them. So I need a speaker that "ALMOST" plays full range.