Denon AVR-4311CI good match for Veracity HT2-TL?

wojtek

Denon AVR-4311CI good match for Veracity HT2-TL?
« on: 14 Feb 2012, 05:21 pm »
I am not a separates guy, so go easy on me...

I got a great deal on a Denon 4311ci, receiver which puts out 140 wpc.

Now I am thinking on upgrading my mains and center channel, and Veracity HT2-TLs are on my radar screen, along with the HT2 center.

With 88dB sensitivity of HT2-TLs, will the Denon provide enough power to these speakers at 140 wpc?

I won't be listening at particularly high volumes (I am an apartment dweller), but would love to get every musical nuance from my collection of jazz SACDs.

Please advise if that is a good match.

jsalk

Re: Denon AVR-4311CI good match for Veracity HT2-TL?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2012, 05:51 pm »
I am not a separates guy, so go easy on me...

I got a great deal on a Denon 4311ci, receiver which puts out 140 wpc.

Now I am thinking on upgrading my mains and center channel, and Veracity HT2-TLs are on my radar screen, along with the HT2 center.

With 88dB sensitivity of HT2-TLs, will the Denon provide enough power to these speakers at 140 wpc?

I won't be listening at particularly high volumes (I am an apartment dweller), but would love to get every musical nuance from my collection of jazz SACDs.

Please advise if that is a good match.

At 140 watts per channel, you would have plenty of power for the HT2-TL's.  No problem at all.

- Jim

srb

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2012, 06:59 pm »
Unlike some of the less expensive Denon receiver line, the AVR-4311CI is rated for 4 ohm speakers. 

Although I usually feel that a larger stereo amplifier is often a better bang for the buck over buying two smaller stereo amplifiers to passively bi-amp, if you have the extra unused amplification channels and bi-amp mode available (which the 9-channel AVR-4311CI has) it's possible you might also realize a small performance boost utilizing that capability.

Steve

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2012, 07:16 pm »
The Denon will suffice just fine; you have nothing to worry about.  Now on to the important decision: veneer choice.:)

ccotenj

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2012, 08:09 pm »
it works very well for me...   i have an a100 (anniversary edition of the 4311)...   i use it for my ht setup, which consists of ht2-tl's, ht2c and a pair of ht1's...   

they are crossed to a pair of submersive hp's...   however, i have run them full range VERY loud without issues...

fwiw, my room is slightly under 2000 cubes...  not huge, but not tiny...

as nuance said, now you have to figure out the hard part....   :)

ratso

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2012, 08:17 pm »
it has no problem driving mine to very loud levels in a big room. no worries  :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2012, 09:36 pm »
it works very well for me...   i have an a100 (anniversary edition of the 4311)...   i use it for my ht setup, which consists of ht2-tl's, ht2c and a pair of ht1's...   

they are crossed to a pair of submersive hp's...   however, i have run them full range VERY loud without issues...

fwiw, my room is slightly under 2000 cubes...  not huge, but not tiny...

as nuance said, now you have to figure out the hard part....   :)

Dual Submersive HP's?  HELLO! :D

ccotenj

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2012, 09:47 pm »
^^^

well... you know how these things go...  one thing leads to another...    :D   

i'd really like to do an infinite baffle setup, but for once, swmbo is resisting...   something about subwoofer manifolds sticking out in the middle of her dressing room is bothersome to her...   silly woman...   8)

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2012, 01:56 pm »
^ Ha!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2012, 02:12 pm »
I think this is all bad advice.  The OP really needs about $10,000 of electronics in front of the HT2's to really wring out the best in them!   :thumb: :wink:

And I hate receivers.  Yuck!  That's so 80's!!

Anyways, it's good to hear it is mostly low level due to that apartment limitation so of course just about anything over a 100 watts would be adequate.

Have you considered a painted finish?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2012, 02:14 pm »
I think this is all bad advice.  The OP really needs about $10,000 of electronics in front of the HT2's to really wring out the best in them!   :thumb: :wink:
Good thing the AVA stuff doesn't cost that much! 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2012, 02:48 pm »
 :thumb:

Good thing the AVA stuff doesn't cost that much!

jermmd

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2012, 03:16 pm »
I have that same receiver with my HT3's. I was using seperates but I'm trying to downsize. It has plenty of power and should match very well with your speakers. The flexability and processing of this receiver is fantastic and I highly recommend it. Airplay is pretty cool as well. Buy the way, I bought the receiver for $1250 from Newegg including shipping and taxes. You should aim for that price if possible.

Joe M.

CMYKjill

« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2012, 05:30 pm »
I got this receiver also from Newegg a couple of months ago. I am getting to know it while my surround speakers are being built. It has 3 zones so I am only using the outside and bedroom ceiling speakers on two of the zones. A switch had to be added to the zone controlling the two sets of bedroom speakers because it overloaded. Since adding the switch it has worked great. No problems.

wojtek

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2012, 06:53 pm »
Thanks to all who responded.

@srb: Yes, I was thinking of passive bi-amping as I will have channels available on the Denon, and yes, the expected improvement would be very modest, if any.

@Nuance: In my case choice of finish is easy - Piano Gloss, due to WAF (Wife Approval Factor)

@jermmd - $1299 from Newegg, all-inclusive.

JP78

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2012, 06:19 am »
And I hate receivers.  Yuck!  That's so 80's!!

Not sure if this is tongue-n-cheek but receivers have moved along quite a bit since the 80's. Several $2K receivers from the 2011 model year sound pretty damn good.

Sometimes I feel like audiophiles are groomed to want complicated, unreliable, and user-unfriendly...myself included of course. ;)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2012, 07:56 am »
Not sure if this is tongue-n-cheek but receivers have moved along quite a bit since the 80's. Several $2K receivers from the 2011 model year sound pretty damn good.

Sometimes I feel like audiophiles are groomed to want complicated, unreliable, and user-unfriendly...myself included of course. ;)

While I agree that receivers are quite good these days, I would still prefer to have a separate power amp for at least the front two channels.

If I had $2k to spend, I would rather spend $1k on the receiver and $1k on a stereo amp rather than $2k on a receiver.  IMO this will not only produce better sound, but allows for more flexibility to upgrade down the road.

In fact, this is what I did!  I use an older Denon 3808Ci coupled with a Parasound Halo A51 five channel amp to drive five SongTowers in my HT setup.

George

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2012, 10:27 am »
IMO its good to have better speakers than electronics (I'm a "speaker guy").  This combo would certainly do that and provide a stepping stone along the upgrade path.

jermmd

« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb 2012, 04:51 pm »
Thanks to all who responded.

@srb: Yes, I was thinking of passive bi-amping as I will have channels available on the Denon, and yes, the expected improvement would be very modest, if any.

@Nuance: In my case choice of finish is easy - Piano Gloss, due to WAF (Wife Approval Factor)

@jermmd - $1299 from Newegg, all-inclusive.

$1250 @ Newegg.