The many aspects of genius in Jim's design of the SS10s

herb999

Initially I thought I'd tell this to Jim directly, but it makes more sense to point out some of subtle aspects of SS10 features to fellow Salk family members and potential family members:

Embedding the grill-holding magnets under the cabinet veneer gives the cleanest design possible, unlike the klutzy protruding devices on many far more expensive speakers.

The grills are only on the woofers whose frequencies produce long wave lengths so the thin fabric does not obstruct the sound. Other manufacturers unthinkingly cover ALL their drivers with their grills, blocking the short waves of high frequency tweeters.

The curve on the bottom of the grill matches the arch on the top of the mid/tweeter cabinet, nice aesthetic touch.

The positioning of the grill does not go to the top of the woofer cabinet, revealing a small strip of the woofer cabinet veneer; another thoughtful aspect of careful, beautiful design, unmatched by many megabuck speaker designers.

Jim's latest material between the woofer cabinet and the mid/tweeter is much thinner than the old thick cushion, resulting in a far cleaner, more integrated look.

NICE job, Jim, Just want you know that your thoughtfulness is noticed and appreciated.

Herb

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
Re: The many aspects of genius in Jim's design of the SS10s
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:22 am »
Never could figure out how the grill covers stayed on

Brilliant design Jim

And that is just one small tender loving detaiil not even tied to the sound

I thought the baffle option was brilliant