Preamplifier recommendations

EdwardT

Re: Preamplifier recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2022, 12:19 pm »
I have the Freya+ driving two Vidars as monoblocks for our X-SLS towers. I don’t have any noise at idle with any of the preamp settings, and I like to listen at an immersive volume. Really makes the GR speakers sound wonderful so there’s that.

zenfishbike

Re: Preamplifier recommendations
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2022, 01:30 pm »
The PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC (GCD) has no trouble driving long cable runs. I’ve used it with 25’ runs. It has both RCA and XLR outputs. At full retail of $1,900 its well above your range. If you can take advantage of their trade in program you can get the price of a new one down to $1,300. Another option is used which would bring the price down to under $1,000. That’s how I got mine.

While the GCD is a combination DAC and preamp, if you have a DAC you like better you can use it. The GCD has four analog inputs, 3 single ended and 1 balanced.

I have two of these PS Audio GCD's running in two different systems and a Schitt Freya+ in a third. As with all gear everything is so system and ear/brain dependent. For me the GCD's are far more refined and versatile, especially if you can get one closer to $1k new or used. The Freya+ with standard tubes is pretty uninspiring. I knew that going in and intend to upgrade the tubes before deciding to keep it or not, so there's that cost to consider. Mine is dead quiet in all 3 preamp modes but for me only the tube mode is worthy.