MCA-18/20 impressions

asgeir101

MCA-18/20 impressions
« on: 28 Aug 2014, 12:00 pm »
I am interested in purchasing either the MCA-18/20 for my home theater setup where I will also be listening to quite a bit of music.

I wanted to hear what peoples experience was with the two amps and if the added power of the MCA-20 made sense if you are driving monitors (85 and 90db sensetivity) at normal listening levels?

Thanks in advance!

RDavidson

Re: MCA-18/20 impressions
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2014, 06:45 pm »
Should we assume you're using a sub or two?
What's your room size?

asgeir101

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2014, 06:57 pm »
The room is ~600 square feet, but the HT setup is in an 3 walled enclave of that which is about 180. I am using one B&W pv1d Sub and my front 3 are reference Strada 2s from A. Gallo. The back are A'Diva ti from the same producer.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2014, 07:20 pm »
In a space that size and the fact that you're using a sub (which relieves the amp from the stresses of producing deep bass), my recommendation is to get the MCA-18. Also, I don't believe your Gallos present a difficult load to any decent amp.
You'd get more power, which only equates to a 3db increase in total output volume, and subtraction of more money from your wallet, by getting an MCA-20.

asgeir101

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2014, 08:13 pm »
Thanks, that makes sense  :thumb:

How would you compare the Mca-18 sound quality to recivers in that price range?

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2014, 08:47 pm »
Thanks, that makes sense  :thumb:

How would you compare the Mca-18 sound quality to recivers in that price range?

That's hard to say, but typically, stand alone amplifiers mop the floor with virtually any amplifier built into a receiver. I mean, you're comparing a machine built for 1 purpose, versus a component with as many bells and whistles built into it under the sun and at a relatively low price point. Something's got to give.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2014, 04:21 pm »
I am interested in purchasing either the MCA-18/20 for my home theater setup where I will also be listening to quite a bit of music.

I wanted to hear what peoples experience was with the two amps and if the added power of the MCA-20 made sense if you are driving monitors (85 and 90db sensetivity) at normal listening levels?

Thanks in advance!

I have heard and used both.

Sonically, both amps sound alike, since their circuitry is the same.

The differences come from their abilities at higher SPL's and Dynamic Range with different sensitivity speakers.

That is, the MCA-20 will have greater "headroom" at higher SPL's and be more dynamic in larger spaces and lower efficiency speakers.

The other difference when you have more power, is better more forceful bass.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

asgeir101

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2014, 07:48 pm »
I have heard and used both.

Sonically, both amps sound alike, since their circuitry is the same.

The differences come from their abilities at higher SPL's and Dynamic Range with different sensitivity speakers.

That is, the MCA-20 will have greater "headroom" at higher SPL's and be more dynamic in larger spaces and lower efficiency speakers.

The other difference when you have more power, is better more forceful bass.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks John, I appreciate it!

How would you describe their sonic signature and how would you compare them to other amps around that price range such as the Wyred 4 sound that your carry or other brands you have heard?

I am still toying with the idea of getting the MCA-20, even though I think they might be overkill, to get a more relaxed presentation at higher SPL's.

Also have you experienced them driving a stereo setup?

Thanks in advance!

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2014, 11:07 pm »
Thanks John, I appreciate it!

How would you describe their sonic signature and how would you compare them to other amps around that price range such as the Wyred 4 sound that your carry or other brands you have heard?

I am still toying with the idea of getting the MCA-20, even though I think they might be overkill, to get a more relaxed presentation at higher SPL's.

Also have you experienced them driving a stereo setup?

Thanks in advance!

Well, an amp will of course, sound quite different depending on the speakers and room it is used with.

NuForce has a few qualities that make it a favorite of mine and the MCA series maintains these.

1) Resolution and Detail at a level that allows you to hear far deeper into a recording that many amps
2) The ability to drive a speaker and play LOUD without "crowding", which is when all the instruments and performers get pushed together on the sonic tapestry.  The NuFORCE maintains excellent imaging and placement but just at a higher SPL.
3) Great Dynamic Range of both Macro and Micro Dynamics, again not negatively affected by volume levels
4) Clear Clean and Accurate Bass Quality and Dynamics, due to the ability to produce current quickly, and relatively high Damping Factor

They are NOT lush, or smooth, or warm, or rounded, or tubelike.  However they are also not edgy, steely, brash, or clinical.  Once you get used to hearing all the content, it is hard to live without.

I have not heard either in a dedicated 2 channel system, but my HT system is better than most dedicated systems and they sound remarkable in it.

They are, of course, not quite as good as the IDA-16 which I currently have in my 2 channel system, because they do not have the much more expensive "cross-matrix" capacitor array, which is the same circuitry as in the REF-18 and REF-20 monoblocs.

That said, they DO however have a lion's share of the same qualities (NuFORCE is known for) as above.