Anyone here use...

floresjc

Anyone here use...
« on: 26 May 2009, 10:34 pm »
SVS subs, in particular a PC-13 Ultra, with their Salks? I'm sitting here in Afghanistan at 3am and the question of SongSub vs. SVS cylinder crossed my mind. I'll be pairing the sub with ST and SongCenter for HT.

TJHUB

Re: Anyone here use...
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2009, 02:31 am »
SVS subs, in particular a PC-13 Ultra, with their Salks? I'm sitting here in Afghanistan at 3am and the question of SongSub vs. SVS cylinder crossed my mind. I'll be pairing the sub with ST and SongCenter for HT.

I had an SVS 20-39 PC+ for years as one of the first owners of the PC line.  About a year ago, I upgraded to the PB13-Ultra. 

SVS makes very good subs, but I don't think they sound the best.  I actually prefer the sound of my SVS sub paired with my Salk HT2 TL's, but sometimes I wish I had a HSU ULS-15 (or 2). 

One thing I found with the PC versions of SVS's monster subs is that they are too light for a driver mounted face down.  My PC+ would really shake the floor of my house because the whole sub could vibrate up and down.  It made for a nice effect, but switching to the PB13-Ultra with a forward firing driver doesn't shake the floor unless it's really pumping out deep bass from a movie.  I prefer not having my house torn apart more than it has to. 

If you want a monster sub for HT AND decent for music, the SVS Ultra subs are worth a look.  If you want the best sound for music AND decent home theater, I'd look elsewhere.  However, please note that music is far more important than home theater for me, but I just can't seem to part with my PB13-Ultra.  :wink:

I haven't heard the SongSub, but I can't imagine the PC13-Ultra being a bad choice for the STs.

audiocrazy

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2009, 02:43 pm »
I have an older boxed version of SVS PB2+(dual 12" 12.3 woofers version) that is out of production now. I'm not sure if they make dual woofers anymore.
I've owned it since they were introduced many years ago and have not looked back. Although I'm considering buying a PB13 Ultra if I can sell this beast as now I've a smaller dedicated HT room.

They mate pretty well with the ST's. I recently added the SVS AS-EQ1 to my system and I'm amazed how well balanced the sound is.
It has taken my Song Towers to a new level of audio experience. The sound clarity is jaw dropping.

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2009, 04:45 pm »
The SVS AS-EQ1 looks like an interesting unit.

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2009, 09:30 pm »
For music I prefer sealed subwoofers, but I heard TJHUB's PB13 Ultra paired with his HT2 TL's and it sounded real good.  If you want to rumble your butt off for movies but want a pretty articulate subwoofer for music, the PB13 Ultra will perform very well.  However, if sound quality for music is your main concern, go with the best sealed subwoofer on the market - the Season Submersive.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=759877

floresjc

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2009, 10:21 pm »
Thanks for the insight guys. Basically, I'm going to create two setups in my house. I selected the HT2-TL's to put upstairs in my office area as a full range speaker, because I don't have the space to put a sub in there with my wife and I both having our stuff in there. Downstairs in my basement, I'm going to have ST set up for mainly tv/movie watching, although if I'm down there I'll just listen to music as well too, maybe 10-20% of the time. For the longest time I had been intrigued by the cyclinders that SVS offered and heard raves about the PC13 Ultra. Form factor wise, it would work quite well in the basement, and perhaps it has more output overall than the SongSub spec wise. The SongSub main advantage being very well matched to ST (I would think) and much prettier (will match my ST), but I hadn't heard much about its performance at all. Its also a passive radiator rather than ported, so it will be quiet. Overall, I want a sub that won't bottom out on movies at moderate volumes, and is musical enough to not get in the way should I kick it on occasionally with some tunes.