Power Conditioners

Bluetees

Power Conditioners
« on: 20 Jul 2021, 10:12 pm »
I’m curious as to the effect power conditioners have on the musicality of source material. I have heard the argument that the use of them tends to “sterilize” the musiic.

Can someone comment as to whether they use a conditioner: what brand, and the effect (or lack) resulted?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Power Conditioners
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2021, 10:42 pm »
I’m curious as to the effect power conditioners have on the musicality of source material. I have heard the argument that the use of them tends to “sterilize” the musiic.

Can someone comment as to whether they use a conditioner: what brand, and the effect (or lack) resulted?

Hi,
The Starting Block Circle is really for people to introduce themselves.
This question/thread is best posted in the Power Conditioning Circle, so I will move it there for you now.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2021, 11:59 pm »
A power conditioner, first and foremost, is needed for insurance (assuming it has surge protection). The key is to find one that does no harm. Like most other things in audio, they ain't cheap and nearly all of the commercially available power conditioners aren't designed for the high end audio enthusiast. I use one of Zenwave Audio's modded SurgeX products -- https://zenwaveaudio.com/surgex-rethink-power/

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2021, 01:04 am »
I found huge results with a dedicated 20amp circuit and Synergistic Research Powercell 8 UEF SE. It did not sterilize but made the music more detailed, improved soundstage, dynamics and was a very discernible difference. Some people have said based on where you live the power grid can be a real issue. That wasn’t really the case for me in Massachusetts.