3XRS + Speed12

seikosha

Re: 3XRS + Speed12
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2014, 12:27 am »

If your current amp has nice parts I would stick with it, as a $1k new amp cannot possibly have a lot of high quality parts in it, and if you start upgrading you will easily double the price.

Dave, I'm wondering what in your opinion are the sub optimal parts in a 1k Decware.  The caps are high quality Jupiters which I know many diy'ers prefer over mundorf/dueland stuff, the transformers are custom wound by Decware and they've stated that they can't find better ones from anyone.  What else in there is not high quality?  No question the chassis and knobs are cheap, but that's no big deal if you care about sound more than aesthetics.  Also the tubes are not high demand tubes so they are cheap as well.  You can retube an se84  for a fraction of the cost of a 300b or 2a3.  So certainly, if the SE84 used different tubes and had nicer aesthetics, the price would easily double.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2014, 12:31 am »
I would have to see it, but I am aware of how much parts cost and I know it's not possible to build a high end SET amp for $1k. But, we all have different ideas about what "high end" means and different expectations.

seikosha

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2014, 12:47 am »
I can send pics.  Let me know what you need to see.  I'd be interested in knowing what I could upgrade inside.

beowulf

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2014, 12:56 am »
I would have to see it, but I am aware of how much parts cost and I know it's not possible to build a high end SET amp for $1k. But, we all have different ideas about what "high end" means and different expectations.

Interesting, so you don't think a company who's been in business since the mid 90's and doing business with dedicated suppliers almost as long ~ with a perfected business model, no distributors, no advertising, etc., couldn't build a high end SET amp for under 1K?  The chassis is the only weakness that I see from Decware, but the parts/skilled labor and customer service involved are all high-end/top notch.

I guess a company probably couldn't build a high quality set of speakers for 1k either huh?  Oh wait ... maybe somebody could :duh:

happyrabbit

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jun 2014, 03:08 am »
HI DAVE,

The 1578's are ok. I found them fatiguing after a couple hours.    The omega 3XRS sounded better with Sophia 6sn7.   

beowulf, 

thanks for the insight on the super zen vs the super zen select.

My 2a3 amp uses the Jupiter beeswax caps too.      :green:

Dwight

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2014, 03:37 am »
Interesting, so you don't think a company who's been in business since the mid 90's and doing business with dedicated suppliers almost as long ~ with a perfected business model, no distributors, no advertising, etc., couldn't build a high end SET amp for under 1K?  The chassis is the only weakness that I see from Decware, but the parts/skilled labor and customer service involved are all high-end/top notch.

I guess a company probably couldn't build a high quality set of speakers for 1k either huh?  Oh wait ... maybe somebody could :duh:

I never said anything bad about Decware, I think they represent a great value for the money. My point was it is possible, imo, to build a better amp by spending more money. If happyrabbit's current amp is better than the Decware maybe it would be worth the money to buy new tubes for it?

You read WAY more into what I said than I actually meant.

I mean, people spend WAY more than $1k just on volume controls with stuff like the Bent TapX, LDR-type attenuators, and even many hundreds on stepped attenuators. You can spend several hundred on low-ESR film caps for the power supply... you know, I could go on and on, and maybe write a short book on the subject...   :lol:

beowulf

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:48 am »
I never said anything bad about Decware, I think they represent a great value for the money. My point was it is possible, imo, to build a better amp by spending more money. If happyrabbit's current amp is better than the Decware maybe it would be worth the money to buy new tubes for it?

You read WAY more into what I said than I actually meant.

I mean, people spend WAY more than $1k just on volume controls with stuff like the Bent TapX, LDR-type attenuators, and even many hundreds on stepped attenuators. You can spend several hundred on low-ESR film caps for the power supply... you know, I could go on and on, and maybe write a short book on the subject...   :lol:

I see what you mean ... in a world where one can spend $$$ just on the actual chassis, where does one draw the line?