Audition opportunities

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
Re: Audition opportunities
« Reply #20 on: 30 Dec 2023, 02:28 pm »
Let's face it -- how many young people can drop several grand on an amp?

In my day job, I encounter people who "don't have much money".  It's been my experience that people have a funny way of finding money for the things that are important to them.  Young people don't have money, but many seem to have plenty of money for thousands on a sleeve of tattoos.  I'm not commenting on getting a tattoo, I'm saying that when you see a "young person with no money" who has them...

Schiit appears to be doing well with the headphone stuff.  I've wondered why so many are into that.  It occurred to me that many are younger, and are often sharing an apartment with a roommate.  Space is required to have speaker junk around.  I think it's natural that certain elements of this hobby trend to people who have more years under their belt making money and acquiring "space for speaker junk".

I recall this sort of conversation happening a few decades ago... yet here it is, and we are.  The audio show in Tampa in February is going to be the biggest one yet for that show, I think.  It's a new show and has grown.  That doesn't seem to be a hobby that is dying.

Now, more importantly, when is someone sending me a pair of NX-Studio speakers to test drive for a week or 2?   I can email a shipping label. :thumb:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #21 on: 30 Dec 2023, 06:01 pm »
This is one of the reasons I love Schiit audio.  They are relatively more affordable, more compact, and still sound great.

For example, I’m renovating my basement into a listening / hangout / gaming room.  My main rig is in a pile waiting for this to be done.  In the meantime I just have my living room system for watching movies and shows, playing video games, and listening to music.  I’ve been swapping my components in and out for fun and currently have a Schiit Modi Multibit dac, a Saga + tube preamp, and Gjallerhorn stereo amplifier.  I have a small living room so I don’t need a ton of power.  This “system” totals at $1k.  My speakers are a pair of X-SLS.  No sub although I could add one if I really wanted to. 

Long story short: It sounds really good!  I wasn’t sure if the 10 watt/ch Gjallerhorn would be enough power but it’s been fine.  It won’t shake the walls but it sounds better than I expected.  The Saga preamp has a very transparent volume control made up of precision matched resistors and you have the option of using it passively or with the buffer.  I have my Apple TV and video games plugged directly into my tv and the tv’s optical output going into the Modi dac. 

Ok, so this isn’t high end but it sounds great for the money and is reasonably priced.  Perfect for young broke audiophiles.

jmimac351

« Reply #22 on: 30 Dec 2023, 11:33 pm »
The Saga preamp has a very transparent volume control made up of precision matched resistors and you have the option of using it passively or with the buffer. 

I'm glad you're enjoying that Saga!   :thumb:

On the topic of $$$ for amps... for those who are interested in "Low / Zero feedback amps". (ME).  The Schiit Aegir 2 is going to be $899 and should be out in a few weeks. It has an Output Impedance of .8ohm = Damping Factor of 10.  That is not "normal", as far as amps go.  ("But all amps sound the same so...")  Power is stated to be 25w into 8, 50w into 4, 100w Mono into 8ohm.  It will have a toroidal power supply, only notable as it's different than the first Aegir.  All of my stuff is Zero Negative Feedback and I think it just plain sounds better.  I am planning to buy a pair of Aegir 2 as soon as they launch, and put them next to my Ayre VX-5 Twenty, and see what "Is" is.  Danny thought the Tyr was good (not preferred to his other equipment).  In comparison, Tyr has a damping factor of 200, and I had zero interest in it because of that, among other things.  I expect the Aegir 2 to sound better than Tyr, for my tastes. 

The reason I mention this is because I suspect Aegir 2 is going to sound really good and it could be a good match for speakers like Otica / Xtreme @ 93 / 94dB sensitivity.   Amplification can be a big $$$ number.  So... it may be that you don't have to spend thousands on an amp that sounds great, paired with the right speakers.  We shall see...

Presb4

« Reply #23 on: 31 Dec 2023, 04:59 am »
There actually is a vibrant community of young hifi enthusiasts, they are over on Head-Fi and they are into very nice personal audio gear (headphones).  They love music and they love audio but often don't have the space for a full stereo setup.  Also it's possible to get a top flight headphone rig for a lot less money than a top flight stereo setup.

Very true.....

Presb4

« Reply #24 on: 31 Dec 2023, 05:22 am »
I have been to Decfest before and it was a fun way to listen to all that Decware has.

I wonder if Danny would ever want to host that kind of event at GR Research.

For those who dont know what Decfest is, its a long weekend once per year where the general public is invited to camp out on the Decware property (tents) or in town in a hotel and attend listening events at Decware, day and night. Many just hang out drink a bit and tell stories, kind of like a big tail gate party all centered around Hifi. Steven from Decware tries to have different listening systems set up for any and all to listen to throughout the weekend and folks bring their favorite tunes or make requests to have played.

Late October in Texas might be the right time of year for a 2024 GR Fest, urrr tailgate party.....  :beer:

Glady86

« Reply #25 on: 31 Dec 2023, 10:51 pm »
For the NX stuff... I have little doubt that I will like the midrange drivers.  I have had Magnepan 3.7i and have tasted the "rightness" of OB.  The low end is moot... it will be handled with subs.  I am a "Soft Dome Tweeter Guy".  The main thing I need to "know" is the tweeter.  With how low the Neo plays in the waveguide, I suspect that is going to tell me the story I want to know, and give me a good taste of the sauce, and whether I like the taste of that sauce.  Isn't that tweeter a big part of the reason why the Studio and Otica sound so good, and have the magic?  That one driver is responsible for a big part of the story, and what I will be listening for and to.  If I don't like it, I'm not going to be able to live with it.  I bet I will like it, but that's a big bet...

A pair of NX-Studio, coated with Duratex and ready for battle with UPS / FedEx, that can be shipped around... call them, "The Tackle Boxes", because they are designed to lure you in. :green:

A test drive in My room, with My gear, etc.  I have all Ayre gear... Zero Negative Feedback and Balanced.  It is "different", and I LOVE it. I want to hear that tweeter with my zero feedback amp.  "So, this is what it will be like to live with this...".  No audition will match that, for me.

Shipping those Tackle Boxes will cost a lot less than a flight / car / time... and a listen in an unfamiliar room with limited amount of time... and it could make all the difference.  But, skin in the game?  "Free listening sessions cost money".  Ok, the test drive costs the recipient shipping... maybe work something special towards a purchase after, throw something in of value but of little tangible cost / credit... upgrade to Sonicaps at cost, whatever...   

Just an idea, with a credit card on file in case the Tackle Boxes stay on someone's boat...

The NEO tweeter is the best I’ve ever heard in my house compared to Scanspeak soft dome, RAAL ribbon, Kef and NHT metal dome, Tektons arraignment  and compression tweeter on Emerald Physics. Can’t  imagine you wouldn’t like them. I’m using Odyssey monos with my NX Oticas.

jmimac351

« Reply #26 on: 31 Dec 2023, 11:00 pm »
I have seen that Decware thing and thought it was neat.  An "Open House" for a weekend would be a good idea. Each day have some particular thing in the morning / afternoon.  Make it a practical thing. 

For instance:

1) Practical Room Measurement / Sub Setup: Take a room measurement using a tool that those in attendance already have, or can acquire without much investment.  For example, the Audiotools measurement app for mobile phone, REW, etc.  Walk thru the process of setting up a sub in the room, from scratch.  Yes, there is a video... but actually walking thru it in person will be different, with questions, etc.

2) Room Treatment: Have a room with the room treatments taken down, and then put them back up, piece by piece, so people can experience the difference.

3) OB Speaker System / Setup: Push OB speakers against the wall, pull them out 3', etc.

4) "Box Speaker System"

5) "Bang for buck System"

6) "LGK 2.1 with Sub System"

7) Put shipping label on NX-Studio box with Jimmy Mac's address. :green:

Our ability to create work for Danny in boundless.  :thumb:

Seriously, this would be a good idea... especially if someone knows how to smoke a pork butt. 

jmimac351

« Reply #27 on: 31 Dec 2023, 11:02 pm »
The NEO tweeter is the best I’ve ever heard in my house compared to Scanspeak soft dome, RAAL ribbon, Kef and NHT metal dome, Tektons arraignment  and compression tweeter on Emerald Physics. Can’t  imagine you wouldn’t like them. I’m using Odyssey monos with my NX Oticas.

Thank you. I suspect you are right, that I would like them.