NX-Studios - I wrecked them

Danny Richie

Re: NX-Studios - I wrecked them
« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov 2023, 05:06 pm »
Those phantom center channels are great if you are sitting in the sweet spot. For a broader room coverage an actual center can be of real value. It will anchor dialog to the screen.

Also, some of you guys have your speakers well out into the room where imaging and sound stage depth is great. So a center image really sounds like it is coming straight out of the screen. Some people don't have that level of placement options and are limited to a much closer wall placement that causes a loss of image depth. So a center channel ties everything together really well.

jlucas

« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2023, 10:52 am »
Have you guys found a tube preamp iwith a HT bypass?

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2023, 02:42 am »
Have you guys found a tube preamp iwith a HT bypass?

Here are 5 examples with HT bypass,

ARC REF 6SE & LS28SE $19K
Modwright LS300 & LS 36.5 Tube Linestage - $5k
Backert Labs Rhythm & Rhumba $5K
Cary SLP 05 
Vinnie Rossi Brama Preamp

I'm more of a 2 channel musician! :drums:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 21 Dec 2023, 12:45 pm »
I am solidly in both the "forget surround sound" and "forget center channel" camps.

My listening room / theater has 12.2 sound - basically a 13 channel ht with 2 subs and no center. I have never missed the center, but I have also rarely felt the surround or overhead effects added anything meaningful. If I did it over, I would put the HT budget into yet more 2 channel gear.

I am lucky enough to have multiple systems throughout the house and each one is configured differently…this allows me the opportunity to hear how different choices impact my experience.

I have 2 channel based HT in the main living room that uses Spatial Audio speakers and a Denon receiver.  This system fills a very large space with 20’ ceilings (I have a very open contemporary house) and provides an enjoyable experience for both movies and music.  When we have people over, they enjoy what they see and hear and are usually fascinated with the flat panels that are the speakers.  😉

In my dedicated HT is a 7.4.2 setup.  I use Salk speakers for the 5 most important bedrock speakers (including a huge center channel), Swan Diva dipoles for the side surrounds, 4 SVS Atmos speakers (2 in the front, 2 in the back), and 2 SVS subs.  I use a Denon receiver for processing and driving the side surrounds and Atmos speakers.  A very good Parasound 5 channel amp powers the 5 Salk speakers.  Video is a 77” LG C2 professionally calibrated.  This setup produces a very immersive and engaging experience from all 5 seats (3 in the front row, 2 in the back).  I can’t imagine it being half as good with the excellent Salk center channel!  It anchors everything regardless of which seat you are in and you never have issues with understanding dialogue.  The Atmos speakers add a great touch and really make it that immersive experience that I mentioned.

My dedicated 2 channel is back up and running after taking a break and is a work in progress.  After almost going with Oticas + OB subs or NXStudio + OB Subs (thank you Danny and Dyson for answering all my questions and providing your thoughts), I went with Dutch and Dutch 8 Cs.  While I am still working on placement and taking advantage of room correction, I can still say that they are the best speakers I have ever owned.  The fact that I could simplify my system and not have to worry about separate amps, preamp, DAC, and streamer (plus associated cables and power cords) makes the choice even better!

I am clearly in favor of having an excellent center channel and for having a multi-channel HT.

George