My NX-Otica build

BrandonB

My NX-Otica build
« on: 1 Nov 2023, 10:48 pm »
Look at what just came in from UPS today.

mkrawcz

Re: My NX-Otica build
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2023, 11:05 pm »
Boy are you gonna have some fun.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2023, 12:20 am »
Sweet!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2023, 12:24 am »
You don't believe in 'small' upgrades, do you? 

A man after my own heart!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2023, 12:26 am »
Definitely looking forward to seeing your progress on these. Did you ever decide on a paint scheme for them?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2023, 01:10 am »
Weeeeeeeee :D :green: :thumb:

BrandonB

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2023, 05:13 am »
Boy are you gonna have some fun.
Yeah Just finished my busy season at work so I am ready to spend some time on it.  I am really excited.

BrandonB

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2023, 05:18 am »
Definitely looking forward to seeing your progress on these. Did you ever decide on a paint scheme for them?
I think I'm going to do satin black.  Something simple and nice.  I will probably be asking for a bunch of questions.

BrandonB

« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2023, 05:32 am »
You don't believe in 'small' upgrades, do you? 

A man after my own heart!
I was waiting  on the mini NX-Otica with the 8in subs.  Then the Bully was being released swaying me towards it and finally just decided on the NX-Otica.  I had to really think about what I was trying to achieve with my system.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2023, 05:42 am »
I think I'm going to do satin black.  Something simple and nice.  I will probably be asking for a bunch of questions.

Ask away. That’s what we’re here for.

BrandonB

« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2023, 02:22 am »
Ask away. That’s what we’re here for.
Mike is their patterns somewhere for cutting the No-Rez nice and pretty for the Otica?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2023, 03:56 am »
Mike is their patterns somewhere for cutting the No-Rez nice and pretty for the Otica?

Not that I'm aware of. For all the pieces except those in the top MTM area, I just use a tape measure and a table saw. they are all straight cuts. For the top section I put the No-Rez in it's proper orientation (foam to the inside, white parer against the wing) and let it hang over the outer edge. I use a red marking pencil to trace the shape of the wing on the white paper. Then use a bandsaw to cut inside the line. That makes for a nice smooth cut around the radius of the large wing and the profile of the short wing.

BrandonB

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2023, 02:13 pm »
Just an update on my speakers. The flat packs for the Otica's where great.  They are made of very hi quality MDF and fit together perfectly.  Jay and Don do a great job with the flat packs.  I had a quick learning curve on glueing.  The first cabinet I put together I used too much glue and it was a huge mess.  This created a lot of work sanding.  The second cabinet I pulled back on the glue and it was still plenty and it turned out great. 

BrandonB

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2023, 02:23 pm »
Here are some pictures of my cabinets glued up.  I tried to find some pics of them sanded  and ready for paint but I couldn't find any.  In this pic you can see where the glue got out of hand in some places the inside of the first one is really bad.  It took a bunch of sanding and scraping to get it ready to paint.  I was going to paint them myself but decided to have them painted at a body shop down the street.  They are currently getting painted. 

mkrawcz

« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2023, 03:16 pm »
Nice job, the glue up the most terrifying part. Not having to paint yourself it really nice. That part takes forever.

BrandonB

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2023, 03:21 pm »
I had my crossover built by Fredrick.  He does a great job and very miticulous.  He built and painted the crossover board.  I could have done it myself but it wouldn't have been near as nice.  I really feel like the crossovers are eye candy.  I upgraded the crossovers to all Sonicaps with Deuland bypass caps and path resistors and Goetz copper foil inductors.  I also had Fredrick build me some speaker cables from Danny.  Both the speaker cables and crossovers are being Cryo'd at Danny's while my speakers are being painted.

BrandonB

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2023, 03:25 pm »
Nice job, the glue up the most terrifying part. Not having to paint yourself it really nice. That part takes forever.

Yeah I was afraid I wouldn't get glued together properly.  My fear now is that the guy doesn't do a decent job at the paint shop.  He has been doing it for 20 years he said so it is only a matter of him taking a little time and patients.

rinzzlr

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2023, 05:55 pm »
Outstanding.  Man those crossovers look familiar. I think we are going to have nearly identical sounding NX-Otica's. Can't wait to see how the paint turns out.  Im in the process of cutting my no res now for them. Im going a bit overboard and applying some to the bracing as well which where I started with the no res.

BrandonB

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2023, 09:15 pm »
Outstanding.  Man those crossovers look familiar. I think we are going to have nearly identical sounding NX-Otica's. Can't wait to see how the paint turns out.  Im in the process of cutting my no res now for them. Im going a bit overboard and applying some to the bracing as well which where I started with the no res.
Yes it is the exact crossover.  When you get done with your no rez put some picture online I would like to see it.  I am going to have surgery on the 28th and I will be coasting around on a scooter.  I hope I can get them up and running but I don't think it is going to happen. 

BrandonB

« Reply #19 on: 29 Dec 2023, 05:24 am »
Well I got my speaker cabinets back from paint.  The painter I hired didn't do a good job.  He was an auto body guy out of his element.  The MDF kept sucking up the paint.  I am not sure how many layers he put on but he definitely didn't put snuff primer coats and didn't sand in between.  He didn't  charge for what he did.  He knew himself the job wasn't good and he didn't have the time to fix it.  I had no problem paying him for a better job but he was done.   I am going to try to do the job myself.  I just had surgery today so it might be awhile before getting it done.  I thought about what had happened and next time I will put a vinyl sealer on before sending to paint.  I even thought about sealing and a sanding before glue up.  I am learning new skills as I go and having a good time.  My crossover and speaker cables are still in cryo and I till don't have a back so no rush.  oh I forgot to mention my cabinets went to paint well sanded and ready to paint, so the pre paint prep was fine.