Cryo Cable Experiences

Early B.

Cryo Cable Experiences
« on: 21 Oct 2023, 04:52 pm »
After watching this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0W-_WXrZjo

...I'm curious to read about the experiences of members who shipped their cables to Texas for the demagnetizing and cryo treatments. It's an extremely generous offer to GR Research cable owners. Who has taken Danny up on his offer? 

NIGHTFALL1970

Re: Cryo Cable Experiences
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2023, 05:28 pm »
I have.😁

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2023, 07:28 pm »
I have.😁

Great!! Looking forward to hearing about your results.

BrandonB

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2023, 11:45 pm »
Danny what have you demagnetized and cryo. in your system?  How much of a difference did you notice?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2023, 04:15 pm »
Danny what have you demagnetized and cryo. in your system?  How much of a difference did you notice?

We've cyo treated and demagnetized everything in our system. Improvements were very apparent across the board.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2023, 04:17 pm »
That’s the nice thing about the level your system is at, Danny.  It becomes like a laboratory where you can run experiments.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2023, 09:18 pm »
I can remember when I demagnetized only a pair of speaker cables. I was skeptical, but open minded. If I didn't hear any difference it might have ended right there. A about 30 seconds after turning it all back on, I thought, I have to do this to all of the cables.  :o

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2023, 10:59 pm »
This reminds me that I've owned this CD for maybe 25 years... there is a frequency sweep that demagnetizes and the difference is not subtle.  I haven't done it in a looong time.

Danny, what are you doing to demagnetize?  I saw the cryo video but don't recall if something was discussed about demagnetizing.

When I ship "The Crate", I think I'll stuff some cables in there for a cold nap.  :thumb:

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2023, 12:02 am »
Saturday night I sat down and played SCORPIONS- Love at first sting (Audio Fidelity version). I couldn’t believe how bad it sounded! I had recently listened to it and loved it! It sounded too thin and weak. I got up to check if something was loose or something. Then I remembered that I sent my GR Research speaker cables and power cords back to Danny for the cryo treatment! I can’t believe the drop in sound quality! Can’t wait to get them back.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2023, 12:13 am »
I spent some time with our first cryo treated B24 when we first got it back from treatment.
I was also borrowing a Holo Spring DAC at the time and it was a really nice step up in clarity and soundstage separation.

When I was working on the early prototypes of the RCA interconnects, I listened to them before/after demagnetizing and it was a big step up in imaging focus everything was much more precise and they already sounded good.
All future revisions of those cables got demagnetized before putting any time on them.

We use a heavy duty demagnetizer on all of the power cables that get shipped out.
Not sure the brand though.

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2023, 12:43 am »
We use a heavy duty demagnetizer on all of the power cables that get shipped out.

Is cryo treatment permanent or something that needs to be redone periodically? What about demagnetizing? 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2023, 03:26 am »
Is cryo treatment permanent or something that needs to be redone periodically? What about demagnetizing?

So long as the cables are kept at a reasonable room temperature, it shouldn't be an issue.
Putting them in a hot car and leaving them there will quickly undo all of the benefits. They would need to be re treated.
Regularly flexing/moving a cable can undo the benefits of the cryo treatment as well, as your re-stressing the crystal structure of the copper.

Not sure about demagnetizing though, Danny might be able to answer that better than I can.

rinzzlr

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2023, 04:56 am »
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2023, 08:08 am by rinzzlr »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2023, 02:10 pm »
During summer time, they will definitely need to be shipped via USPS to keep the heat down.
Things are finally cooling down a bit, thankfully, so through winter it will be safe to ship via UPS.

KTS

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2023, 12:22 am »
I am missing something here, I think. Would the heat need to be pretty high to undo the benefits of cryo treatment? If your running class A amp and a tube pre-amp everything gets pretty hot 45-50 Celsius, some of the heat transfers to the cables and definitely the components. I am relatively new to this and trying to understand. I have no doubt cryo treatment is impactful/works, I am just fuzzy on how much heat would reverse the effects.

Thank you, Kelly

BrandonB

« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2023, 12:46 am »
During summer time, they will definitely need to be shipped via USPS to keep the heat down.
Things are finally cooling down a bit, thankfully, so through winter it will be safe to ship via UPS.

The treatment can actually be reversed by heat.  Would it be worth treating an A/B amp?

Randy

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2023, 01:12 am »
If cryo treatments are so great, it's annoying cable vendors charge extra for doing it.

nrenter

« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2023, 01:58 am »
Cryogenic effects on metals are irreversible. Heat will not have an impact on the cable (unless the heat approaches the melting point of the metal).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2023, 02:39 am »
Cryogenic effects on metals are irreversible. Heat will not have an impact on the cable (unless the heat approaches the melting point of the metal).

That's been my experience too.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2023, 03:42 am »
If cryo treatments are so great, it's annoying cable vendors charge extra for doing it.

I bet they will do it for free if you offer to offset other business expenses like:

Capital cost of the machine
Payroll
Insurance
Worker’s Comp
Business taxes
Payroll taxes
Property taxes
Facility maintenance
Merchant services fees
“Bad Debt” / Write Offs / Shrinkage (not due to cold pool water)
Inflation
Electric Bill

And finally… the mental “cost” of being generous with decades of advice / knowledge that some express a lack of gratitude for.

As for me, I’m willing to pay.