Not Again ! Speakers for ten grand (used) if possible.. or new .

2bigears

:D hello. If you all were to buy new or used speakers for ten grand or in that ballpark ,, what would you buy. I see there is a used set of TAD on AG,,,, but they are 30 grand my money in Canada. Plus to fully work them you need great gear priced into the stars.  My room will be medium size and gear middle of the road. I'll need a good integrated to go with the set. A Musical Fidelity 6 or 800 or such. Those are pretty decent. Or similar.
      I have old 60's and 70's music computer based and Rega P9.  Seems ten large don't get you much these days ,, but one can try.  Any help thanks very much,, ideas welcome and appreciation immense .. 🐳🐳☮️

I.Greyhound Fan

My pick  is the Fyne Audio 702's.  The sell for about  $9600pr here in the U.S.. I heard them at RMAF last year driven with $1500 Rega integrated amp and loved them.  They are a beautiful sounding and looking speaker.  They have a huge sound stage and huge sweet spot.  I flew down to Suncoast Audio in Florida last February to hear them fully broken in (they take 500hrs) and on high end gear (Pass mono blocks and preamp).  They sounded even better. Fyne is a new company started by a few Tannoy engineers that broke away.  They use similar technology.  I am going to buy a pair next year.

https://www.hifichoice.com/content/fyne-audio-f702

Here is a link to a picture of them, the walnut finish is just stunning in person.-

https://soundorg.com/f702/

https://www.fyneaudio.com/product/f702/

morganc

I'd go with GR Research, and get the highest model that fits in your room along with OB subs.  For example,  the NX Oticas or whatever the top of his line is.  or Spatial X-3's

toocool4

If you are interested in TAD's, then give the TAD Micro Evolution One a try. They have just dropped the price lately. You will still need good electronics driving it.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
$10,000, even Canadian, is north of my values.  The best speaker I've ever heard for is JBL 708P ($4000/pair USD).  It is a large 2-way active speaker (no power amp needed).  Uses a compression tweeter with controlled dispersion wave guide and 8 inch woofer, both driven by 250 watt amps to extreme levels.  Can be driven by analog (XLR/balanced) or digital (AES/EBU) inputs.  As a professional loudspeaker it comes in "beautiful" flat black.  Very balanced (musical, detailed without being ruthless, wonderful imaging) room filling dynamic sound that is hard to be ignored.

mikeeastman

+2 on GR research, IMO probably one of the best bags for your buck in audio and the flat packs for a lot of his kits are made in Canada.

artur9

I'd get better looking Janszens Valentina P8s.  For a little more, some A8s would be great.
Mine are white, which I find a bit boring.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
+2 on GR research, IMO probably one of the best bags for your buck in audio and the flat packs for a lot of his kits are made in Canada.

+3.  Nothing I've heard beats the GR Research OB speakers like this one:

WGH

GR Research is an excellent start but you need the room for an open baffle to work correctly, as far as I know they are DIY unless you hire a cabinet maker plus crating and shipping a finished speaker to Canada could cost $1000.

Almost any other $10,000 full range speaker will be a compromise, the best stereo location may be the worst for bass response. I would get a pair of excellent speakers with limited but tight and fast low frequency response, the possibilities are endless. Bass will be handled by a REL S/812 which is actually a sub-bass sub handling the lowest of the lows.

The stereo speakers, because they don't have huge bass drivers, will image better than a wider baffle full range speaker and be easier to position. I use a pair of Salk HT2-TL speakers with a REL sub, the results is crystal clear (not analytical) sound, excellent imaging with tight fast bass (no bloat) down to 20 Hz.

Other members in our audiophile club use Joseph Audio or custom stand mounted speakers with dual Rythmik Audio subs with similar excellent results.

morganc

I'm pretty sure that you can get the flat packs and possibly even have them made for you in Canada.  I'd ask Danny. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Floyd Toole states that the best loudspeaker setup involves 4 carefully placed subwoofers and a pair of main loudspeakers in a decently sized, shaped, insulated, and treated room.  So I'd put most of the money into the room, then split the rest on subwoofers and mains. 

TomS

https://jamesromeyn.com/audiokinesis-speaker-models/gina/

Nice collaboration between Duke at AudioKinesis and James Romeyn, Swarm sub option, the works. Easy to drive.

twitch54

Revel Salon2's ...........

skite30

I can second the fynes. Heard them at suncoast with pass electronics and was knocked out by them. Never heard of them and didnt have any expectations. It was my and several of my friends favorite room at the show not including the mega systems of course...

Folsom

The Gina's are a great recommendation. I've got to spent a bit of time with them and they're a wonderful speaker.

Also I'd look at Pi speakers.

And Spatial.

Randy

Ask 20 audiophiles to recommend a speaker system and you're likely to get 20 different answers.

Stercom

Ask 20 audiophiles to recommend a speaker system and you're likely to get 20 different answers.

Haha yep. And they will recommend the speakers they currently own!

timind

• permanent vacation
I'd look for a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs for that money. Classy looks, classic sound.

dpatters

rbbert’s link is a good deal. Lots of choices on A’gon in the 10k range. Wilson, Sonus Faber, Martin Logan etc. 

Don P