Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps

newzooreview

Re: Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps
« Reply #440 on: 3 Dec 2022, 02:37 am »
For what it's worth, I found turning the MiniGaN 5 Monos off for a couple of hours then back on (once in the morning and once in the evening) advanced the break-in more than leaving them on constantly.

Theoretically the off time allows the capacitors to discharge and then reform when turned back on, helping them settle in to stable behavior.

They did change over the first 200 hours, with minor but definite improvements from 200-300 hours.

2bigears

« Reply #441 on: 3 Dec 2022, 04:26 am »
 :D good thinking. Cycle the little parts with power and heating. Thanks for the good advice.  15 day shifts turning off at night.  Love this place. Smart informed peeps.  But over the years good lord has it cost !   Ha.  :D
      Can't put a price on glorious tunes one loves.   :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #442 on: 7 Dec 2022, 08:51 pm »
MiniGan 5 is here.  Let the burn in begin.

2bigears

« Reply #443 on: 8 Dec 2022, 02:02 am »
 :D  how are you gonna burn that puppy in if I may ask ?  My mailbox should have one in a few days too.  You get 15 day return.  Should be 30 wouldn't you think ?  :D

genjamon

« Reply #444 on: 8 Dec 2022, 02:26 am »
At this price point, I give a pass on the short return period - couldn’t expect any. And while burn in reportedly takes north of 200 hours before they fully open up, if you don’t see enough potential after a couple weeks, it’s probably best just to send them back. I bought mine knowing I wouldn’t get enough time on it in 15 days to know the full story.  I had/have interest in possibility of it becoming my primary amp, but also with interest in becoming a solid TV system amp. If after initial impressions it didn’t satisfy at least that TV second purpose, it was heading back within the 15 days. Well, it passed that test, but jury is still out on the primary system test. Will take a good several months before that test is ready, given other changes in the big rig and my slowness in putting hours on it.

Tyson

« Reply #445 on: 8 Dec 2022, 04:07 am »
:D  how are you gonna burn that puppy in if I may ask ?  My mailbox should have one in a few days too.  You get 15 day return.  Should be 30 wouldn't you think ?  :D

Tool during the day, pink noise at night. 

I bought mine used, someone had bought 2 to use in their system and found that only 1 was needed.  Lucky me!

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #446 on: 8 Dec 2022, 12:48 pm »

liking this slogan!

catluck

« Reply #447 on: 8 Dec 2022, 02:27 pm »
From Tyson, "I bought mine used, someone had bought 2 to use in their system and found that only 1 was needed.  Lucky me!"

Which raises an interesting point and a new thread.  Do monoblocks outperform stereo amps when considering soundstage presentation (if not headroom issues)?  Note John Atkinson's comment in the Jan., 2023 issue of Stereophile when reviewing the Schiit Audio Tyr amplifier (as monoblocks),

"Monoblock amplifiers always excel at reproducing recorded soundstages... A shiver ran down my spine: the Tyrs excelled at reproducing recorded space..."

I've used monoblocks for decades, and for, among others, the reason Atkinson notes. Still, I wonder.  Certainly, having monoblocks maximizes channel separation which, arguably, optimizes soundstage. But, perhaps, I drank the cool-aid. Oh well, no matter - I couldn't be happier with the sound I'm hearing now.

Mr. Big

« Reply #448 on: 8 Dec 2022, 02:55 pm »
I've owned mono amps and stereo amps, and both can image equally well providing the front-end preamp has that ability in its reproduction. The preamp is the traffic cop of one's system.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #449 on: 8 Dec 2022, 03:22 pm »
I've owned mono amps and stereo amps, and both can image equally well providing the front-end preamp has that ability in its reproduction. The preamp is the traffic cop of one's system.

there have been a few actual dual mono "monoblock" preamps over the years.  but very few i think.

2bigears

« Reply #450 on: 8 Dec 2022, 05:10 pm »
 :D I asked Tom at Class D if it made a big or even smaller sound gain if two was better than one. I bought 1 .....  less hassle and $$ .  Should get my little 5 pounder in a few days. Will it compete with the 100 pounder is gonna be very interesting. Hard for this old schooler to wrap the gray matter around this possibility.    :D

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #451 on: 9 Dec 2022, 08:09 pm »

there have been a few actual dual mono "monoblock" preamps over the years.  but very few i think.

and right on cue, here is a listing for a true dual mono preamp.  no affiliation.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649927872-bedini-6677-dual-monoblock-class-a-preamplifier/

Mr. Big

« Reply #452 on: 9 Dec 2022, 09:36 pm »
Bedini made some great gear I see 2-class A power amps for sale by the same seller. Killer amps and cheap!

Daryl Zero

« Reply #453 on: 12 Dec 2022, 02:34 am »

I bought mine used, someone had bought 2 to use in their system and found that only 1 was needed.  Lucky me!

Any updates or is it Tool all day, Pink all night?

Tyson

« Reply #454 on: 12 Dec 2022, 05:59 am »
Any updates or is it Tool all day, Pink all night?

Have about 85 hours on them.  So far, burn in has been .... rough. 

newzooreview

« Reply #455 on: 12 Dec 2022, 02:36 pm »
Have about 85 hours on them.  So far, burn in has been .... rough.

Are they connected by XLR or unbalanced inputs?

Mine definitely sounded hyped and vivid in the early stages, not as natural and open as they do now. Will be interesting to see how things progress with your system.

2bigears

« Reply #456 on: 12 Dec 2022, 04:44 pm »
 :D Tyson please don't tell me these amps are shit !  Just bought one. Your speakers are king of the hill with 1k dollar amp,,,, could that be the problem ?  :D

Tyson

« Reply #457 on: 12 Dec 2022, 05:06 pm »
:D Tyson please don't tell me these amps are shit !  Just bought one. Your speakers are king of the hill with 1k dollar amp,,,, could that be the problem ?  :D

I've learned to never judge any hifi gear before the 200 hour mark.  Most of the time, gear will go from bright and irritating, then to veiled and dark sounding, then to overdamped, then back to bright and irritating and a whole bunch of other variations of that.  The MiniGan's are no exception.

On a positive note, even during burn in I can tell that their level of resolution, their soundstaging and their bass power/control are very good.

Are they connected by XLR or unbalanced inputs?

Mine definitely sounded hyped and vivid in the early stages, not as natural and open as they do now. Will be interesting to see how things progress with your system.

RCA inputs.

2bigears

« Reply #458 on: 12 Dec 2022, 05:20 pm »
 :D ok, thanks. My heart started beating again. Think I'll run it continuously with the occasional cool down.  200 and 300 hours seems long for these little amps. Such small boards.  :D

Mr. Big

« Reply #459 on: 12 Dec 2022, 09:45 pm »
I've learned to never judge any hifi gear before the 200 hour mark.  Most of the time, gear will go from bright and irritating, then to veiled and dark sounding, then to overdamped, then back to bright and irritating and a whole bunch of other variations of that.  The MiniGan's are no exception.

On a positive note, even during burn in I can tell that their level of resolution, their soundstaging and their bass power/control are very good.

RCA inputs.

Good Luck!