Class D Showdown: Purifi vs. Gan5

RonN5

Re: Class D Showdown: Purifi vs. Gan5
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2022, 07:17 pm »
Yes this is "mostly" a class d or a gan class d thread....but....I greyhound....how would you compare the Atmasphere class d to the AVA M225s?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #21 on: 25 Oct 2022, 09:45 pm »
Yes this is "mostly" a class d or a gan class d thread....but....I greyhound....how would you compare the Atmasphere class d to the AVA M225s?

Please bear in mind that I heard these amps in 2 different systems.  The 225's have a fuller midrange which I prefer.  They have a more upfront presentation in my system with my BAT VK51se preamp and Luxman DAC.

The Atma-Sphere Class D amps have more transparency and air but are still dynamic.  The sound stage is also wider. The preamp used was a modified Atma-Sphere MP-3 and the DAC was an Aqua La Scala MKII.

Both amps have excellent bass and dynamics.  The 225's probably have the edge in the upper frequencies as I found the Class D amps to be very smooth.

I am a midrange guy and like a full, richly toned midrange with a hint of bloom and would have to pick the 225's but I could easily live with both.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #22 on: 25 Oct 2022, 10:06 pm »
I had 2 Mini Gan 5's shipped to me. Second one wss a replacement for the first. The first worked for 30 minutes and proceeded to go into fault protection mode. 2nd one worked for 2 days and same thing happened. Tried it in 2 systems and same results. So now I have 2 paper weights because the company thinks I should pay for shipping back for 2 defective units. I stopped payment on my card

jjss49

« Reply #23 on: 26 Oct 2022, 02:43 am »
I had 2 Mini Gan 5's shipped to me. Second one wss a replacement for the first. The first worked for 30 minutes and proceeded to go into fault protection mode. 2nd one worked for 2 days and same thing happened. Tried it in 2 systems and same results. So now I have 2 paper weights because the company thinks I should pay for shipping back for 2 defective units. I stopped payment on my card

that is a bummer

i only bought one, it has worked since day one and continues working in my second system

i have found the seller quite responsive to questions and the units are sold with clear warranty

these items are small, isn't quibbling over shipping short-sighted?  they fit in a USPS medium fixed rate box... we are talking what?  $17?   :duh:

morganc

« Reply #24 on: 26 Oct 2022, 02:47 am »
that is a bummer

i only bought one, it has worked since day one and continues working in my second system

i have found the seller quite responsive to questions and the units are sold with clear warranty

these items are small, isn't quibbling over shipping short-sighted?  they fit in a USPS medium fixed rate box... we are talking what?  $17?   :duh:

That's been my experience as well. Great owner and responsive, pleasant and I now have three and not one has one slight issue. 

newzooreview

« Reply #25 on: 26 Oct 2022, 03:03 am »
My monoblock pair has worked without issue, and likewise Class D Audio was responsive in e-mail before I placed the order and after delivery.

It does seem that if someone has had issues with two amps then Class D Audio might pay for the return costs as a good faith gesture, even if the cause of the trouble remains ambiguous. I know there's a "no dirty laundry" policy here so probably best not to get too far into the weeds on that, however.

I am intrigued about the Purifi amps, and I hope that someone on the Spatial Audio circle compares them to the MiniGaN monoblocks (before I get around to it). I wonder, speculatively, whether a) using balanced connections (given that the MiniGaN are a differential, balanced circuit), b) using the monoblocks, and c) matching/synergy with the loudspeakers might make a difference.

I respect that the MiniGaN could sound bright and/or dull in comparison to another amp, but in the bigger picture I would be surprised if someone found it objectively bright (not just in comparison to another amp). I have zero listening fatigue with the MiniGaN and the resolution that it provides sounds very natural and not manufactured by peakiness in the upper midrange, for example.

Early B.

« Reply #26 on: 26 Oct 2022, 03:34 am »
I respect that the MiniGaN could sound bright and/or dull in comparison to another amp, but in the bigger picture I would be surprised if someone found it objectively bright (not just in comparison to another amp). I have zero listening fatigue with the MiniGaN and the resolution that it provides sounds very natural and not manufactured by peakiness in the upper midrange, for example.

What I described between the two amps are subtle differences. No one should walk away from this review thinking the Mini GaN5 is either bright or dull. My comments are based strictly on the relative differences between the two amps, with the caveat that it's not a fair comparison. For instance, the opamps in my VTV were a $510 "upgrade" from stock. A far better comparison would have been a stock VTV Purifi stereo amp which is $1,109 vs. $799 for the Mini GaN5. I'm guessing the differences would have been far less distinguishable. Nonetheless, I'm hoping this comparison is helpful to those who are making purchase decisions.         

RonN5

« Reply #27 on: 26 Oct 2022, 02:11 pm »
Igreyhound:

Thanks for the comments.  Frank and Ralph are two of the great designers of our times...not a surprise that both of these new amps sound great.  I liken it to the soft serve yogurt store down the street...I like carmel and I like butterscotch...some days, one more than the other....hmmm....which one today.

What is interesting is that Ralph's design is Ganfet class d...no modules...and Frank's design is class a/b mosfet operating in class a up to about 10 watts...and yet these amps sound so similar...I've read that both amps have very low distortion with 3rd order harmonics being the dominant of whatever remaining.

It's great to have great sounding products to choose from!

mick wolfe

« Reply #28 on: 26 Oct 2022, 03:41 pm »
that is a bummer

:thumb: I agree. Shipping cost for a couple 5 lb. amps is peanuts in the big picture, especially in this hobby. FWIW, my experience with Classdaudio over the years has been stellar.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #29 on: 26 Oct 2022, 03:54 pm »
:thumb: I agree. Shipping cost for a couple 5 lb. amps is peanuts in the big picture, especially in this hobby. FWIW, my experience with Classdaudio over the years has been stellar.

I was asked not to add dirty laundry but I have a chain of emails  from them that contradict themselves and the problem I'm having with the amps they obviously can't solve it. They offered to send  return label and they have not done so. they're not working why should I pay to have them ship back.  If they're faulty then the seller should pay bottom line. At this point it's principle. The money's not the issue I just shipped RonN5  The Orchard amplifier and it cost me 60 bucks and I'm not complaining

genjamon

« Reply #30 on: 26 Oct 2022, 04:00 pm »
I didn't like having to shell out $50 to return tubes that went bad after 20 hours to Grant Fidelity before they would send out replacements.  It definitely will make me think twice before ordering from them again, as I didn't factor in that cost when I purchased from them thinking the tubes were covered by their guarantee.  But I still did it on the principle of caveat emptor - I didn't do my diligence to fully understand their policy before purchasing.

mick wolfe

« Reply #31 on: 26 Oct 2022, 06:50 pm »
I was asked not to add dirty laundry but I have a chain of emails  from them that contradict themselves and the problem I'm having with the amps they obviously can't solve it. They offered to send  return label and they have not done so. they're not working why should I pay to have them ship back.  If they're faulty then the seller should pay bottom line. At this point it's principle. The money's not the issue I just shipped RonN5  The Orchard amplifier and it cost me 60 bucks and I'm not complaining

Fair enough, but I would (and most here on this thread) be most interested to see if they offer an explanation of why the two amps failed so quickly.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2022, 07:04 pm »
Yes I agree. Tom just sent the return labels. Hopefully he figures it out. I tried 3 preamps as well as 3 sets of speakers and cables etc.

Carry on and put this behind us

tdangelo

« Reply #35 on: 27 Oct 2022, 12:40 pm »
Thanks Early B.

Streamer

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2023, 08:41 am »
that is a bummer

OMG!
My second one didn’t last long. I thought I was the only guy having trouble with these.

Early B.

« Reply #37 on: 23 Jan 2023, 02:24 pm »
UPDATE: A couple of months ago, I replaced the Purifi amp with a tube amp. This is a case where you can really tell the difference between solid-state and tubes. Both amps are very good. The tube amp is better for me based on the type of music I listen to (mostly jazz vocals). If I were into rock, pop, electronic, etc., I'd probably prefer a solid-state amp. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #38 on: 23 Jan 2023, 05:18 pm »
UPDATE: A couple of months ago, I replaced the Purifi amp with a tube amp. This is a case where you can really tell the difference between solid-state and tubes. Both amps are very good. The tube amp is better for me based on the type of music I listen to (mostly jazz vocals). If I were into rock, pop, electronic, etc., I'd probably prefer a solid-state amp.

Similar experience here but with a different class d amp. I've experimented with the Mini Gan 3 for over a month with various cable configurations and two different speakers. The pre-amp used throughout was a Schiit Freya+ with ANOS 6SN7's. Honestly, my conclusion is similar. My tube amps are here to stay, but the Mini GaN 3 does offer an interesting change of pace. This conclusion reached after eventually using balanced (XLR) cabling throughout. (DAC to Freya+ and then on to the Mini GaN 3)  Yes, it has a stronger bass foundation and somewhat enhanced transparency, but it lacks the overall magic of a good tube amp. This all said and as already mentioned, certainly a worthy alternate for that occasional change of pace. Also would be valuable tool if one were to use or audition a speaker not known to be tube tube friendly. ( LRS+ for example) As always though, YMMV.