Amplifier input requested

gkinberg

Re: Amplifier input requested
« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:45 pm »
opnly bafld and TJHUB,

Your comments about having different amplification accross my fron three salks has got me thinking. I don't know if I will actually adopt the suggestion but I am more open to the idea than I was.

Thanks for the input, Garth

nocrapman

« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:48 pm »
I will second the Parasound A21 suggestion.
Although I have never owned it, I have auditioned it and been in the quest for it a a good price for a while... someday!
In the meanwhile my NAD 372 has been a pretty nice workhorse. For $400 I couldnt ask for more...

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 23 Dec 2010, 08:02 pm »
Are your front 3 speakers identical?
If not, then it won't matter, buy the best 2ch amp (a lot more choices than 3ch amps) you can afford.
Relieving the HT receiver of front L&R duties will allow it to provide better power to the center and surrounds.

Lin

^ This.

Your center channel more than likely won't drive the amplifier anywhere near as hard as the front speakers, therefore using the amps already built into your receiver will be sufficient enough for said center.  This is why everyone is suggesting that you focus on a solid 2-channel amp; the main front speakers will require the most juice.

Garth, my future amplifier (hopefully by the spring time) will be the very Parasound A21 I suggested.  Until then I've been happy with the Butler 2250 and Parasound A23 (my two most recent amps).  The A23 is the smaller brother to the A21, and the reason I purchased it is because I didn't have enough funds allocated at the time to go for the A21.  I'll be upgrading soon, though. :)

gkinberg

« Reply #23 on: 24 Dec 2010, 10:03 pm »
Has anyone ever pair one of the Proceed HPA series amps with Salk speakers? I know they are old and have some reliability issuses but dispite my better judgement, and from everything I've read, these seem like a very good offering - I want one :) .

Garth

Nuance

« Reply #24 on: 25 Dec 2010, 03:28 am »
^ So what's holding you back? :)

gkinberg

« Reply #25 on: 25 Dec 2010, 03:56 am »
^ So what's holding you back? :)
The Fact that I've never heard one let alone in my system. Oh ya, and that little thing called Moola!  :green:

Some of the three channel ones are selling for around $2500. For an amp that is ten years old and will cost nearly $1K to repair if it goes out, around $2K is hard for me to justify.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #26 on: 25 Dec 2010, 08:26 pm »
You need a good pre-amp before you need to worry about an amp.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #27 on: 25 Dec 2010, 09:35 pm »
You need a good pre-amp before you need to worry about an amp.

I just love blanket statements.  :nono:
A friend has an older Denon AVR with a good but cheap (bought used) 2ch amp powering some nice fullrange front speakers and it sounds much better than it did pre-amp.   :thumb:

Lin

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #28 on: 26 Dec 2010, 01:21 am »
I just love blanket statements.  :nono:
A friend has an older Denon AVR with a good but cheap (bought used) 2ch amp powering some nice fullrange front speakers and it sounds much better than it did pre-amp.   :thumb:

Lin

Happy for him.

Nuance

« Reply #29 on: 27 Dec 2010, 02:14 am »
The Fact that I've never heard one let alone in my system. Oh ya, and that little thing called Moola!  :green:

Some of the three channel ones are selling for around $2500. For an amp that is ten years old and will cost nearly $1K to repair if it goes out, around $2K is hard for me to justify.

Fair enough.  If you're going to spend two grand you might as well get a new amplifier with a warranty.