5 channel amp recommendations for Song Towers

Intamin

5 channel amp recommendations for Song Towers
« on: 30 Dec 2008, 09:31 pm »
Well, I'm trying to find the right amp for me. I am currently running Song Towers, and will eventually have the song center/surrounds (probably around this summer when I'm back to working full time since I'll be off from school). My budget is flexible, but I'm budget conscious and would like to keep it within reason, definitely under 2k, and if possible closer to 1k or less. I know it'll be something used, and I'm fine with that, as I've used agon before. My short list of amps include the Halo A 52, bryston 9b (it would be pushing my budget), Audio Refinment Multi 5, and either an Emotiva xpa 5 or xp3/xpa2 combo. Other possibilities include the Rotel 1075/1095 or a Parasound 1205 or the 2250 (I think that's the number?), since I enjoy my current 2 channel parasound amp.  I really want something that will make my song towers sing, and I'm afraid that the Emotiva will sound too run of the mill or mass produced. As a friend put it, "I have to remind myself that these amps are geared towards mass market capabilities and not dialed in on musical performance or recreating beautiful sound. There is more to amps than watts." (He's referring to Rotel, B&K, and Emotiva to be specific). I'm not trying to put down Emotiva, or any of those other brands, because I have not listened to them, but that's one of my fears is they will not provide the great sound that compliments the Song Towers.

A little more background, I'm currently using a Marantz SR-5002 avr to power them because I moved my 2 channel amp and preamp into another set up (I had unused speakers in my apartment that had been sitting idle too long). I enjoyed the sound I had when I had my parasound HCA-1000a hooked up to my song towers, and it's tough going back to an avr, which is why I'm wanting the 5 channel amp.

Finally, my usage is about half and half when it comes to movies and music, but probably leaning a little more towards movie/ht usage. So any recommendations or thoughts on what I'm currently looking at would be great. Thanks,

Alex

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: 5 channel amp recommendations for Song Towers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2008, 09:46 pm »
Alex,

I have had great results with an older ATI amp (1506 model).  You can find used 15XX and 25XX series on Audiogon at great prices that will put you way under budget.  Even though the price is great, I didn't select and keep the ATI purely on cost...if it didn't great with the SongTowers, it would have never lasted the last 18 months in the setup.

George

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2008, 09:49 pm »
Jim Salk and Frank Van Alstine seem to team up allot, at least at RMAF and Frank recommends Salk with a link on his own website. He doesn't have a 5 channel amp but has a 2 and 3 channel Insight amps that would  be a fine combination. Both amps are called the Insight series. The ones I would recommend are the 2 channel Insight 260 and the 3 channel Insight 260. They have 130 watts RMS per channel and would be a nice match. If you wanted to go stronger on the front 2 channel, there is the Insight 440 with 220 watts per channel. That would be an ass-kicking amplification for the STs, IMHO.

Of course, as  you see fit.

Wayner  :D

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2008, 10:11 pm »
What are the efficiencies of the speakers and what are you looking for in terms of power/watts?
T

Intamin

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2008, 10:13 pm »
What are the efficiencies of the speakers and what are you looking for in terms of power/watts?
T

I believe the efficiency is 88db. As far as power/watts is concerned, it really isn't a driving factor. As long it will sufficiently power my speakers and make them sound great and compliment them well, then that's what I'm after.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2008, 10:23 pm »
A Butler Audio TDB-5150 might be another good matchup for the Salk Song Towers. I own Butler tube hybrid amps in my 6.1 system with Odyssey Lorelei's (89db) with very very good results. The 5150 is 5 channels @150wpc. which is more power than my Lorelei's need. There's been a lot of good press right here on AudioCircle over the use of these tube hybrid amps. Happy hunting. :)

Cheers,
Robin

Sonny

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2008, 11:22 pm »
T

I believe the efficiency is 88db. As far as power/watts is concerned, it really isn't a driving factor. As long it will sufficiently power my speakers and make them sound great and compliment them well, then that's what I'm after.

Power/Watts is always an issue...
because for your 88db speakers, only a certain amount of power/watts (minium) can get them going...it probably won't do much with a 3 watt tube amp...now will it.

:icon_lol:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2008, 12:25 am »
You guys forgot Wyred4Sound.  If you use the balanced cables they are silent in operation.  If you use single ended cables make sure they are shielded and you will be set.  I found the Parasound amps to be very noisy if they do not allow balanced connections.

Philistine

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2008, 12:55 am »
I used to have a Rotel 1095 as a HT amp - and found it too harsh/coarse, so would recommend you try and listen before buying.
I've heard good things about ATI amps and the Earthquake Cinenova.

evan1

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2008, 07:36 am »
I was using an Outlaw 755 (which is now in the Hometheater classifieds section) with the Onkyo 805 as a pre until I decided to go strictly 2 channel Now I am using a tube integrated