SongSeries in Olivewood

jsalk

SongSeries in Olivewood
« on: 10 Dec 2008, 05:53 pm »
Henry wanted a complete SongSeries HT setup (7 channel) but wanted them in his favorite wood - olivewood.  Unfortunately, this is a very rare veneer.  Henry and I both did a rather exhaustive search and finally settled on a batch. 

Here is a shot of his entire set-up...

Here is a shot of the SongTowers themselves...

And a close-up...

Happy listening (and veiwing) Henry!

- Jim

jackman

Re: SongSeries in Olivewood
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2008, 06:10 pm »
Hi Jim,

I love your workmanship and speaker building artistry but I'm not sure about Olivewood.  It looks like plywood.  All of your speakers are works of art and I guess in this case beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  They do have a certain Shroud of Turin vibe to them.  One thing is certain, they sound great!  Take care.

J

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2008, 06:47 pm »
jackman -

Hi Jim,

I love your workmanship and speaker building artistry but I'm not sure about Olivewood.  It looks like plywood.  All of your speakers are works of art and I guess in this case beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  They do have a certain Shroud of Turin vibe to them.  One thing is certain, they sound great!  Take care.

J

Well, the colors are quite close to fir which is normally used on plywood.  So I can certainly understand your comments.  But you really have to see them in person to appreciate the differences.  In this case, I think Henry was trying to match some existing furniture.

Finishes are a very personal thing and tastes vary widely.  We had quite a few people through the shop while these were being built and more than one person commented that these were among the nicest speakers they had seen.  Others may have shared your perspective. 

At any rate, the only important thing is that Henry likes them.  They shipped at the end of last week, so he should have them soon.

- Jim

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2008, 06:47 pm »
As always, beautiful work Jim :thumb:

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2008, 07:00 pm »
I like 'em too Jim, nice work.  8)

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2008, 07:06 pm »

Thanks Jim, after reading my comments, I would have chosen different words because I did not mean to be insulting.  I appreciate fine craftsmanship and nobody does it better than you do.   Your speakers are works of art (that happen to function extremely well). 

Cheers,

J

SlushPuppy

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2008, 07:37 pm »
Olive is an interesting wood. I lived in Crete for almost two years and many of the mom and pop shops carried hand-made items made from it. I'm not sure if it will happen with these, but Olive "ages" very well, taking on an incredible richness over time. Like Rosewood it has to be seen to be appreciated.

funkmonkey

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2008, 07:41 pm »
Wow, that grain is awesome!  I've never seen full grained Olivewood before, only burl.  Great job Jim!
I've seen a lot of plywood in my day, and never any as pretty as that!

Enjoy Henry!  Nice selection.  I especially like the way that the front face of the towers are mirrored L/R (bookmatched).  Nice touch Jim.

Cheers,
Greg

rydenfan

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2008, 08:39 pm »
I think they look great  :thumb:

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2008, 09:02 pm »
Awesome veneer and nice to see something off the chart a bit!!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2008, 09:03 pm »
Beautiful speakers, Henry.

Nice work, Jim.

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2008, 12:17 am »
I like the Olive very much, actually.  Great choice, Henry, and great work as always, Jim.

mcullinan

« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2008, 12:22 am »
Olivewood is from Europe?
Mike

SlushPuppy

« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2008, 12:27 am »
Mike

I was thinking Olive wood from an Olive tree - the Mediterranean variety. Oh well, they look nice regardless of what continent the veneer came from.

Christof

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2008, 12:35 am »
Mike

Yes.

Great veneer work, Jim :thumb:

Here is a close up of Olive

mcullinan

« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec 2008, 12:41 am »
Wow.. thats nice.
I looked it up and it says the color does change, going darker and richer...
Mike

Qwertyzor

« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:17 am »
Hi, I'm Henry. I received these today, and they are incredible, both in appearance and craftsmanship and sound quality. I really like the bass, and the clarity and detail of the midrange and treble combine with great imaging and soundstage characteristics to make it seem like I am listening to music rather than speakers. They've really shed new light on music I've enjoyed for a long time.

So far, I've only tried out the SongTowers on an old Kenwood stereo. I'll be getting surround equipment soon, but my home theater room isn't ready yet. I have a temporary spot that will work well once I get the equipment.

I chose olivewood because I've always like it quite a bit but rarely see it, even among exotic woods and things made from them. I've worked with it some as well, though only for small things, and really liked the results. I like the flowing grain and the colors, as well as how it finishes. I think it looks great on these speakers, and I'm glad I chose it.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:24 am »
Beautiful speakers, Henry!!! Congrats!!!

You need to make sure to post some pictures of the new room when you get it done!

Have fun,
Jerry

fishinbob

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:25 am »
Very striking, you get drawn into the patterns. Congratulations on your choice of speakers too,  :thumb:

yooper

« Reply #19 on: 11 Dec 2008, 04:16 am »
Henry,

Congrats and very nice!  I'm sure you discovered that the wait is well worth it!

I understand that the finish you chose is a close match to your decor.  How about posting a pic of the room when you get the chance?

Mark

« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2008, 11:29 am by yooper »