Bryston 7b3 upgrade to 28b3

clive101

Re: Bryston 7b3 upgrade to 28b3
« Reply #60 on: 28 Jan 2021, 07:58 pm »
Nice preamp, looked it up almost fainted with the price.
I am using Chord Dave so no preamp. I did have the BP26 which I preferred but tried several months later straight from Dave and much preferred it so sold the BP26.
Can anyone lift these amps without help and when they are delivered door step only as Covid 19 ?
I will post back when I place the order then the wait.
What colour LED lights does one have a choice ?

audioMirror

« Reply #61 on: 30 Jan 2021, 07:57 pm »
The 28's are fantastic.  I have had mine for almost 6 years.  The grip on the music ... yet all plays with a sense of ease.  I don't know how they bring such power and sweetness together in a kilowatt amp.

My preamp is the Pass Labs XP-32.  Just got it after having the XP-22 in house for 4 months. 

Absolutely a magical combination!

I have the XP-22, and am thinking of getting Bryston 28B3 amps.  How did you like the combination?  How do the XP-32s sound compared to the XP-22 with these amps?  I might upgrade preamps one day.

G E

« Reply #62 on: 30 Jan 2021, 11:05 pm »
BTW, no way I could (or would ) swing the list price for this preamp. Most of my system was carefully built over several years buying used, demo, close out, whatever. My Black Cat Cables are the only items I paid list price. And my NOS Mullard ...

Here is a review I wrote for the VMPS speaker forum here in audiocircle.

More to follow said I and here it is.

I loved the XP-22 and it was a great fit for the rest of the system. But I did NOT stop reading and the user reviews of the xp-32 became a worm gnawing my brain.

You know how it is.

The dealer has a generous trade in program and I took advantage.

Early stages of break in - it’s a demo with few hours- but the improvement on day 1 with cold phono tubes, cold bryston 28s and cold essentially new preamp flabbergasted me.

Listening tonight day 3 and nice improvement. One recording tonight featured a kick drum that must have been treated with padding. Played this record 50 times and never heard ithe soft detail articulated thusly. That’s something.

We have beautifully resolving speakers thanks to Brian. Here’s a preamp to take full advantage and doing so with every musical advantage.

There is a sense of ease that is uncanny. Detail in spades. Beautiful tonality.

Something special here and no tubes to worry about.

Can’t wait for full break in. Running Hagerman cable cooker to accelerate results

Stay tuned.

clive101

« Reply #63 on: 6 Feb 2021, 10:16 am »
I have just pulled the trigger on the 28s all I have to do now is wait.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #64 on: 6 Feb 2021, 11:14 am »

Hi Clive

Looking forward to your opinion on the 28's  :thumb:

james

G E

« Reply #65 on: 7 Feb 2021, 11:36 pm »

Congrats!

And welcome to the thrill ride!

jbuzas

« Reply #66 on: 24 Feb 2021, 08:40 pm »
when are you listing the 7b3's?  i am interested :)

clive101

« Reply #67 on: 15 Mar 2021, 11:06 am »
Sorry the Amps were sold before I ordered the 28 b3 (s).

Still waiting for 28 (s) to arrive....but the wait is soon to be over they are due next week. Lucky me :)

clive101

« Reply #68 on: 15 Mar 2021, 01:08 pm »
Hi Clive

Looking forward to your opinion on the 28's  :thumb:

james

Certainly will update when they arrive.
One question if I may
I have requested grounding posts to be added to the Amps.
Would you know the size of the spades or banana plugs or ring size hole that fit the grounding posts ?
Thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 15 Mar 2021, 01:18 pm »
Certainly will update when they arrive.
One question if I may
I have requested grounding posts to be added to the Amps.
Would you know the size of the spades or banana plugs or ring size hole that fit the grounding posts ?
Thank you.

Hi Clive

No I am sorry I do not - maybe ask Mike - mpickett@bryston.com

Why the grounding posts?

james
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2021, 02:58 pm by James Tanner »

clive101

« Reply #70 on: 15 Mar 2021, 01:25 pm »
Thanks for the point of contact.
I asked for the grounding posts as I might ground the case at a later date
please see the link.
https://www.russandrews.com/images/pdf/GroundingV6.pdf
Not adding an earth rod to the case as this is dangerous.

clive101

« Reply #71 on: 26 Mar 2021, 05:34 pm »
The 28 B3 (s) have landed.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #72 on: 26 Mar 2021, 07:16 pm »

...now you've got the heavy weight champions right at home :thumb:

may the sound be with you 8)

al

clive101

« Reply #73 on: 28 Mar 2021, 09:56 am »
Well I have had time to listen to the 28Bs these are my findings.

I have had the 7b3 for three years and very happy with them they are excellent amps but sorry to say the 28s are in a different league.

Heat
The 28s run warmer than the 7bs which is to be expected as double the power output and only a little taller to dissipate the heat but no deal breaker, do not cheat on ventilation.
On low to medium volume they tick over at around 500 watts (240 volt) where as the 7bs use around 250 watts.

Cost vs SQ improvement.
Double the cost ....Double the improvement (using PMC MB2 SE speakers) for my ears others may differ.
If your in Canada the cost appears half of what we have to pay in the UK so if this equates backwards for amps made outside Canada and you are a Canadian resident it represents exceptional good valve.

Sound
This powerful amp really grips your speakers. I am no expert in power matching amps tp speakers but if the 7b and 28b have the same tech but with different power always go for the power. Power is best ?
The sound stage was wider, detail was easier to hear, bass more texture. The best improvement for me was able to listen at lower volume level (saving my ears) and still be immersed with beautiful music with the same feeling as if it was louder.

Test reports
The amps have very close test reports maybe this is why all the instruments had good separation.
And for me the serial numbers hit the magic spot... all my life I try to avoid the number 13 but oddly that number hits me time and time again, new car delivered, theatre seat, hotel door numbers, the list is endless all end up with the number 13. All end up being lucky ....
Guess What... the serial number ends with ?
Guess I lucked out again !

I feel very privileged to own these amps and very happy with the purchase.

Thank you James (and the Team) for making such a wonderful amp they will give me many years of pleasure.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 28 Mar 2021, 10:15 am »
Hi Clive

So glad you love the amplifiers - they really are special.

I have been asked that given the same circuitry why the 28B's just sound so good on so many speakers and I think the answer has to do with the fact that speakers are more difficult to drive than most people assume.  The 28B's are just so powerful and so capable and just do not care what difficult load is in front of them.

One funny thing that happened was I had a customer call me and say that he was using a 28B on a three way active system and thought it was the best 'tweeter' amp he had ever heard - including his tube units?  :lol:  I think that says a lot for the transparency of the 28B's.

Best and ENJOY!

james

G E

« Reply #75 on: 28 Mar 2021, 02:01 pm »
Good to hear your28’s have landed!

I like to turn them on 24 hours before I plan an extended listening session. The sound improvement on Day 2 is significant. Warmer, creamier, the delicacy of the high frequencies.... even the speed.... it all gets better at least with my “Squared” models.

Cheers!

sep297

« Reply #76 on: 4 Jan 2022, 04:33 pm »
Hi,

I am considering a pair of 28B3 amplifiers or 7B3, so have been interested in the views of this Topic. The cost difference at this point doesn't figure in my decision-making at this point as buying the right thing once is usually cheaper than buying things twice.

In terms of sound quality, the 28B3 seem to win they are not just louder than 7B3's

However one of my concerns is for those people who did upgrade was there practically much of a physical difference between the two, did the 28B's look much larger or you did not notice the difference after a couple of weeks. I have looked at them together and the figures but cannot decide if the size differences will really matter over time.

Are the 28B's installable by one person?

I am also considering a Preamp with a Theatre bypass is the BR-20 is the best option in terms of sound quality, I already have a BDA 3.14 so the streamer in it is handy but not a deal-breaker.

Many thanks, Stuart

clive101

« Reply #77 on: 4 Jan 2022, 04:45 pm »
Hello Stuart,
I can only help with the 28b3, size wise a little deeper but weight can be an issue for one person...
I can manage the weight (just) but normally two people is ideal.
The extra performance IMO is worth the extra hassle of the weight but you need to be strong for a self install....
Ask friends family or the neighbour next door for help then an easy install.
Hope that helps ?

Rod_S

« Reply #78 on: 6 Jan 2022, 12:40 pm »
Regarding physical size differences and whether it's a dramatic difference. I guess it comes down to where you will have them. If they are in a rack and all you basically see is the front panel then it's not a huge difference. If however they are out in the open by the speakers then yeah, the 28's are noticeably larger compared to the 7's. I have both 28B-SST2's and 7B-SST2's.

They are very heavy thus awkward to move around by one person due to their large size. I definitely needed assistance unboxing and putting them in place.  The boxes make them even more awkward to move because the boxes are of course larger than the amps themselves.

G E

« Reply #79 on: 7 Jan 2022, 03:55 am »
I hope you got the front handles for your 28's!  They aren't just for show.

When I move my 28's - which is rarely - I ask a friend to come over.  We each take a side and can get it without straining our backs.  Those handles front and back are super appreciated. 85-90 pounds each and it's almost always a weird angle of approach, so two people are better than one. 

Don't worry about vacuuming under them, hah!

Regarding size, I came from a Bryston 4bsst-2 and it took a while to get used to these two silver beasts.

Last Fall I put them on 3" platforms with cones.  Poor things had spent several years atop scrap plywood, oh the horror of it.  Natural maple dyed black, not stained, and 6 layers of satin lacquer topping.  The added height really stuck out, took a while to get used to it.

Once the music starts you'll forget about it anyway.

I did notice a slight tonality change for the better atop the maple platforms.  Just before the New Year I replaced all the 3/4" fiber board on my Solid Steel shelves with 2" maple and noticed a similar improvement.  All from Timbernation.  Great people to deal with.  10year customer.

Happy New Year, enjoy your new thrill rides, welcome to Club 28!