Soundscape M7 Mounting Options?

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
Soundscape M7 Mounting Options?
« on: 9 Apr 2012, 07:14 pm »
How are folks mounting their Soundscape M7 surrounds? M7s are twice as heavy as typical surrounds and the tall shape makes the center of gravity high. Mounting on the typical 7"x7" plates with Velcro seem like a recipe for disaster.

I have a pair of the Miller & Kreisel ST-1 speaker stands on my current surrounds, but they require specific screw holes on the back of the speakers. The super heavy base will suffice, but the required reinforced holes in the back sounds like a bad idea.

Here are some Bello heavy duty speaker stands that can hold up to 100 lbs (Velcro strips on a top plate design):

A set of stands that look like they would work are the ones by Wood Technology. They are 17.5" tall and that is a fairly good match to the height of the SS12 speakers in front.

Thoughts, ideas?
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2012, 08:16 pm by Frans »

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
Re: Soundscape M7 Mounting Options?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2012, 05:15 pm »
I'm not sure how many people actually even own these speakers....   

I got the first pair, and love them...

I had Paradigm Signature S4's before the Salk M7's   Those speakers matched perfectly and were made for the Paradigm J-23 speaker stands, and I will tell you they are beefy !!   They have holes in them to mount eh Sig S4's, which have threaded screw holes for such a purpose...   I got them from a dealer on Audiogon for a decent price, but they are pricey. IMO they are worth every penny for what you are investing in the M7's... 

With the M7's I used some BLUE TAC type stuff that was like silly putty, and once set, they are truly stuck on the stands. When I move the speakers, I grab the bottom of the speaker and lift, the stands come along and will not come off. You really have to try hard to TIP these things over...   
It will require some effort to remove the speakers from the stands, but TJHUB was very sure they won't leave a mark or stain so I went with that...    Very happy with the results...

Here is a shot of them on the stands in my room.....   Only Pic I got, but I can take a few more if you like...

Better pic of speaker to give an idea of how SEXY the color they really have, amazing finish work by jim...

Frans

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2012, 05:26 pm »
Those are drop dead sexy!

To be clear - you have permanently affixed those stands to the speakers using blue goo, correct?

Warpdrv

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2012, 05:29 pm »
It is not permanent - they can be removed, and will not stain or damage the finish...

It will take a bit of effort to get them to separate, but its worth it for the security...  I have no intentions of removing them any time soon, so I'm thrilled with the outcome....  I can't state enough good things about these stands, and I think they complement the speakers with the silver trim on black...   

Warpdrv

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2012, 05:33 pm »
Get in touch with Noah at Deluxe Audio Video....   Tell Him Warpdrv / Patick sent you...

He should get you a good price if your interested in them....
http://www.deluxeaudioandvideo.com/

I just got my second Integra 80.3 from him, super great guy to work with and talk to...   

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:28 pm »
You could always build your own stands.  I did these for my Paradigm Studio 40s (would have worked for your S4s as well - same height).  Sand filled pipe, double pieces of solid oak (1.5" thick total) for the base.  Pretty easy.  All materials from Home Depot.

« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2012, 08:16 pm by pstrisik »

stereodad

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:59 pm »
Warpdrv
Great looking speakers,how would you describe the sound.

Thanks Larry

Frans

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2012, 07:28 pm »
On a completely unrelated note, I interviewed Daryl for my now on hiatus Internet Progressive Rock show a while back. Noticed that you were playing him in your TV picture!

Warpdrv

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2012, 07:43 pm »
Thank you stereodad

Well, they are Salk SoundScapes, so anything that is stated about them is dead on with what I am experiencing...

I have yet to hear better midrange and tweeters on any speaker to date after getting these... The RAAL and Accuton are truly a delight to experience. I have had the pleasure of listening to Nuances ST's and TJHUB's HT2-TL many times and when these came up for sale used, I couldn't resist, I'll give them the nod to be a nice step up from either of their speakers through the full range, ask and they'll back up my comments. Jim promptly made up a HT2 CC to match per my specs. The system is a dream and more then most people would believe for a bedroom setup. The Bass comes in the form of a 18" LMS in a Funky Waves custom cabinet, and is in all intents and purposes the best low end I have ever heard or experienced...  The linear motor on that driver with 2000w behind it, makes for extreme accuracy down low, and will reach into the teens with ease for movies as well as the deepest of bass notes...   

Even If I had a choice, I don't think I would have gone in a different direction for main speakers + Sub...   
I just recently replaced my pioneer receiver with an Integra 80.3 - SQ is greatly improved with Aydyssey XT32 for my small bedroom system.

Warpdrv

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2012, 07:44 pm »
On a completely unrelated note, I interviewed Daryl for my now on hiatus Internet Progressive Rock show a while back. Noticed that you were playing him in your TV picture!

That is still to this day one of my most favorite albums to listen to - his guitar work and harmonics are phenomenal.... 

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2012, 08:37 pm »
I have had the pleasure of listening to Nuances ST's and TJHUB's HT2-TL many times and when these came up for sale used, I couldn't resist, I'll give them the nod to be a nice step up from either of their speakers through the full range, ask and they'll back up my comments.

Comments confirmed.  Your speakers are heavenly!  Now if only I could get you to bring them to my house for an audition...you know, to help convince the wife SoundScapes sound great in our room too. :)

Warpdrv

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2012, 09:21 pm »
 :lol:

And let me guess....   I get a needle of some kind after I get them there, and strangely disappear from the face of the planet...   HMMMMM   

Frans

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2012, 01:29 am »

And let me guess....   I get a needle of some kind after I get them there, and strangely disappear from the face of the planet...   HMMMMM   

At least he's not after your kidneys!

Frans

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2012, 01:31 am »
It is not permanent - they can be removed, and will not stain or damage the finish...

It will take a bit of effort to get them to separate, but its worth it for the security...  I have no intentions of removing them any time soon, so I'm thrilled with the outcome....  I can't state enough good things about these stands, and I think they complement the speakers with the silver trim on black...

Can you provide a link to that blue putty you used? I'd like to research further, and thanks for the valuable insights!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2012, 01:46 am »
Can you provide a link to that blue putty you used? I'd like to research further, and thanks for the valuable insights!

Is it BluTak?
http://blutack.com/

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/25/article-1208809-062233AF000005DC-662_468x387.jpg

stereodad

« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2012, 02:49 am »
Thanks Warpdrv,enjoy your speakers

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2012, 02:12 pm »

Worse things have happened. :lol:

Frans

« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2012, 02:26 pm »
Is it BluTak?
http://blutack.com/

Doesn't seem strong enough, looks like it typically holds up refrigerator notes and such. Is this it?

Warpdrv

« Reply #18 on: 19 Apr 2012, 03:10 pm »
found this btw...
http://www.spearitsound.com/paradigm.html

Yes that Blue Tac is the stuff....
Trust me, after the stuff is set - these speaker stands weigh around 30-40 lbs...   when I lift the speaker to move it, they are not falling off...   I was also leary when TJHUB suggested it, but it works fantastically...   I was going to drill and tap my SALK speakers so they were hard mounted to the stands, but I got alot of horrible remarks for that thought process... LOL

Nuance

« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2012, 03:51 pm »
found this btw...
http://www.spearitsound.com/paradigm.html

Yes that Blue Tac is the stuff....
Trust me, after the stuff is set - these speaker stands weigh around 30-40 lbs...   when I lift the speaker to move it, they are not falling off...   I was also leary when TJHUB suggested it, but it works fantastically...   I was going to drill and tap my SALK speakers so they were hard mounted to the stands, but I got alot of horrible remarks for that thought process... LOL

Yes, that is just a horrible idea.  How will I be able to steal them if they are permanently mounted to your Paradigm stands? :lol: