RM40 owners Please share setup experience

alana106

« on: 1 Nov 2003, 10:40 pm »
This is my first post...I am new to AudioCircle.
Just ordered a pair of RM40s with FST tweeter upgrade (but no cap upgrade) from John Casler in Los Angeles. (Nice Guy) Any initial setup tips would be appreciated. Could anyone elaborate on tuning the PR for bass response, or recommend a CD they used. I will be using these in a 27' by 19' room with vaulted ceiling. Due to WAF they MUST be placed on the short wall about 12' apart and my listening point is about 17' away.
These replace my PSB Stratus Gold's, and I plan to retain my Kimber 8tc biwire cables and existing components for now. Bryston 4bst, Rogue 66 Magnum preamp, Msb dac with p1000 PS, etc. Anyone’s recommendations or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Alan :)

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2003, 03:28 am »
The bass damping is over damped as it comes from the factory so more than likely some putty will have to be removed. Most people end up with a pea to lima bean size piece when they're done adjusting.  Removing a fingernail full at a time and then listening for improvement. You should have instructions on this that will come with your speakers. It's something that takes a little time to learn to do. Also you'll notice removing putty from the passive will also affect the midrange so it's a bit of a balancing act too.  Did you hear these speakers yet?  T
hey will need some breakin time too so I wouldn't pull out  more than a bb sized piece of putty at first.  Brian recommends having the speakers cross in front of you a couple of feet and I've found this is just about right. I believe it's John Casler though that like them facing directly at him.  In a room like yours I suspect having them cross in front of you is going to be the best bet, especially if you must have them 12 feet apart and sitting 17 feet back.  Another advantage of having them angled in like that is there's less reflections off of walls. Cheers

audiochef

rm40 set up
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2003, 04:19 am »
Welcome to club alona106,

set your mids to about 1:00 and adjust mass on pr to what now sounds about right and just let them play. The mids will take about 3 months to break in. Be patient, for your  love of these speakers will grow in time.

As the mids break in,you'll probably find yourself  making small but critical adjustments to both pot levels.

meilankev

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2003, 04:36 am »
Alan,

You can find the advice of three VMPS owners in a thread from July 24 entitled:

"Post your VMPS tuning methodology here"

Good luck to you,
Kevin

alana106

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2003, 09:38 pm »
Quote from: meilankev
Alan,

You can find the advice of three VMPS owners in a thread from July 24 entitled:

"Post your VMPS tuning methodology here"

Good luck to you,
Kevin

Kevin,

It looks like this July 24th thread will be helpful.   :)  I suppose i'm just getting anxious.  Other's have mentioned that the speakers will come with setup info as well.  I have been reading various threads attempting to learn as much as possible while I await  their arrival.

Thanks,
Alan

jgubman

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2003, 09:52 pm »
Waiting's the hardest part... I'm in the same boat, waiting for my RM40s. In the meantime, I've taken the opportunity to rearrange my room and do some minor treatments.

ekovalsky

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2003, 02:35 am »
This worked in my mid-size listening room, which has carpet over concrete & drywall (over 2x6 frame with blown-in cellulose) walls and ceilings (14.5' x 17' x 10')

1) Remove about a lima bean size piece of putty from each PR

2) Set mid & tweeter controls at 11:00 (ignore factory suggestion!)

3) For best imaging, distance between speakers (tweeter to tweeter) should be 3/4 the distance between your head and each speaker.  For so I positioned the speakers 100" apart.

4) Toe in so the tweeters are on axis with your head.

5) Measure distances between speakers and adjacent walls, move until they are perfectly symmetric in the room (within 1/8")

6) My speakers are 17-22" from the front wall (measured from each rear corner because of toe in) and max 35" from each side wall.

I found this to work very well.  Last step for me is improving room acoustics -- I have eight 2' x 6' Respond Panels and four 6' Geometrix bass traps on the way from Acoustics First.  I'm hoping by killing reflections from the front and side walls I'll get even cleaner sound and more precise imaging, and the bass traps should help reduce in-room cancellation which should smooth out and strengthen low frequencies.

warnerwh

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2003, 03:14 am »
"Last step for me is improving room acoustics -- I have eight 2' x 6' Respond Panels and four 6' Geometrix bass traps on the way from Acoustics First. I'm hoping by killing reflections from the front and side walls I'll get even cleaner sound and more precise imaging, and the bass traps should help reduce in-room cancellation which should smooth out and strengthen low frequencies."

Love to see when people get room treatment. You'll be very glad you did. I know I wondered why I had waited so long. It's a bargain for the improvement.  Best of luck with your RM/X's.