woolly lining for speaker boxes

jules

woolly lining for speaker boxes
« on: 28 Aug 2005, 02:33 am »
Hi all,

I'm in the final stages of building some speakers cabinets and after looking at the options decided to try wool as a filling material. I notice that VMPS were recommending lambswool for one of their line but as Australia is home to the merino I thought it might be worth trying that. I don't know if the type [breed of sheep] of wool is going to be significant but there is a big difference between the fibres of say carpert wool and superfine merino. Lambswool isn't necessarily going to be an advance on merino particularly if it happens to come from a coarser type of fleece.

I have sourced some fleece in a usable form from www.melandapark.com/  at a cost of $10 a kilo. This wool was reduced in price as it has some seeds in it that make it useless for spinning. I bought 1.5 kg for 2X28litres [2 cubic feet] and that looks like being plenty.

On the path to using wool I considered other options such as Black Hole 5 but failing the availability of any measureable results I'm loath to spend a heap of money on something that may or may not be better. Unfortunately I won't be able to report back on the success of this material relative to anything else but the look and feel of it suggest that it could make an excellent filling.

jules