UpTone Audio Regen

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
Re: UpTone Audio Regen
« Reply #80 on: 21 May 2015, 02:53 am »
Is the Regen USB 2 Compatible , I'm thinking of trying it along with the Totaldac USB filter

Yes it is USB2 compatible.

I use both the Regen and the Totaldac USB Cable with great results. GO FOR IT.

If you go to the UpTone web site and go to reviews for the Regen you will see a link that leads to my impressions of the Regen that includes the Totaldac USB Cable.   

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #81 on: 8 Jun 2015, 09:14 pm »
My Uptone Audio Regen mailed out today.  Looking forward to giving it a try this week.   :D

mikeeastman

« Reply #82 on: 8 Jun 2015, 09:16 pm »
  :thumb:  Mine also shipped out today

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #83 on: 8 Jun 2015, 09:29 pm »
Make that three of us :-)

Best,
Anand.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #84 on: 8 Jun 2015, 09:33 pm »
I'm paying my $45.00 today and looking forward to my ungraded unit, the one I have I really like so this is just icing on the cake :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #85 on: 10 Jun 2015, 03:58 pm »
The Regen just arrived and unpacked.

Working on a Music Server for a friend, so will give it a try with a fresh load of Windows 8.1.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #86 on: 10 Jun 2015, 11:30 pm »
Just installed mine. Not sure how I will A B compare.  Had to reboot for it to let the dac be recognized downstream.  Could not use the stub connector on my very small Chord dac.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #87 on: 10 Jun 2015, 11:45 pm »
Had the old, un-upgraded Regen feeding my iFi Micro iDSD and I've replaced it with the new Amber Regen plugged directly into the iFi.  I took my old Green Regen and moved it to the output of my SoTM USB card on my server.  So my setup is:

SoTM USB Card -> Green Regen -> USB Cable -> Amber Regen -> iFi Micro iDSD DAC

I'll let it run in for a bit before making any comments on the sound.

mikeeastman

« Reply #88 on: 11 Jun 2015, 01:05 pm »
Had mine running all night, Alex said it needs about 5 hrs to fully warm up. Will listen later today and post comments.

Modded Mac mini-Regen-exaSound ex20 dac

vonnie123

« Reply #89 on: 12 Jun 2015, 04:11 am »
Got my USB Regen today.  Really good service and communication from Alex.  Running it from a JRiver Id Server/renderer to a Wyred4Sound DAC-2

Listened to it for a couple of hours this afternoon, and it sounds nice.  Will listen for a few more hours later tonight. 
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2015, 07:18 am by vonnie123 »

orientalexpress

« Reply #90 on: 12 Jun 2015, 05:30 am »
I like how it sound so far  Aries ----furutech gt2 pro----UpTone regen---gustard x12 dac.everthing seem more clearer ,vocal better isolated,musians placement is spot on.i'm on the 3rd hour so far. :thumb:

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #91 on: 13 Jun 2015, 03:16 am »
First Impressions of Regen Amber

Alex and John, You SOBs! (LOL) How you du dat!!

As some have said there is more clarity, realism and definition of bass. But it is So MUCH MORE.

Clarity; For sure, but not with any sterility, harshness. There is transparency that must be heard to believe, because for $175.00 the level of transparency is, ridiculous, unheard of.

Realism; For sure again, but the Regen Green had it in spades so how could the Regen Amber be more realistic? I don't know, why are you asking me!! Go ask Alex or John! All I know is the Amber has more realism, so there, just except it and be happy, move on.

Definition of bass; Well hell ya!! The Regen Amber is all over this. Though not just the low bass but the mids down. But I believe there is more definition over the whole spectrum, from top to bottom. It is just that the "bass" area is more improved.

You can hear a difference as soon as you put the Regen Amber in but the opening up of the sound-stage and more is still yet to come. In my system it took about an hour for the sound-stage to open up and all the above to present itself.

If the Regen Amber is anything like the Regen Green than there should be some small gains to come with more hours on it, to a point.

But there is more. There is more body to the sound of each instrument. Instruments like drums, bass etc are very noticeable. But even instruments like the Clarinet, Xylophone, Tambourine, Piano etc have more body, yes, but are also more "fleshed out".

With the Regen Amber the instruments are more palpable. There is a presence.

So, in closing, Alex I have just this to say to you. Hi Ho, Hi Ho its off to work you go building Regen Ambers 24/7 till your finger tips bleed, and then some. LOL

And to John, keep giving, PLEASE.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #92 on: 13 Jun 2015, 12:23 pm »
I do not perceive more bass (and do not need more).  There is an increase in the freshness of the music, as if the background noise has been reduced.

Jon L

« Reply #93 on: 16 Jun 2015, 08:06 am »
I wonder how much less benefit Regen offers for DAC's that do not use Regen's 5V power and are asynchronous, when compared to DAC's that do use 5V from computer. 

I've been testing various power supplies for Regen, including linear, consumer battery supply, stock smps, and some DIY battery solutions.  So far only the simple DIY Li battery solution (without any regulators) is the only power supply that Clearly improves upon DAC alone (asynch, not using 5V from computer).  The rest are debatable, somewhat side-way sound changes.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #94 on: 16 Jun 2015, 12:39 pm »
Jon L,
I have the same observation as you about the stock USB Regen amber unit with the stock power supply.  It subtly rounds off transients and rolls off the HF response of my USB Async DAC.  It does have perceived bass response heft, but at the expense of the top end being rolled off.  You can hear it in the background noise change from recordings with tape noise.

When I do use the iFi iUSBPower by itself, that does lower the noise without affecting the response in my setup.

I will have to give a 2 cell LiFePO4 battery pack a try, as it is in the correct voltage range (6-8VDC) and I have a connector harness that will work. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #95 on: 17 Jun 2015, 03:09 am »
This is a fun little unit. In the same line of thinking, I am using this ( http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71399.0 ) power supply I built a few years back which puts out a solid 5V DC. Since the Vega does not rely on a USB buss supply, I am able to use it in this way.

I'll report back on the performance differences later.

Best,

Anand.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2015, 11:05 am by poseidonsvoice »

vonnie123

« Reply #96 on: 17 Jun 2015, 07:07 am »
I've mine up a few days.  It has been powered on since i installed it.

Crisp, clean, & accurate is how it sounds to me thus far.  Mostly listened to good quality recordings, so no negatives to report.

Jon L

« Reply #97 on: 17 Jun 2015, 05:46 pm »
This is a fun little unit. In the same line of thinking, I am using this ( http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71399.0 ) power supply I built a few years back which puts out a solid 5V DC. Since the Vega does not rely on a USB buss supply, I am able to use it in this way.

I'll report back on the performance differences later.

Best,

Anand.

Hmm, so 5V works?  I thought 5V was the minimum needed and Regen's internal voltage drop meant a bit more than 5V needed to be fed..  I do have nice Bakoon 5V Li Batter supply  8)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #98 on: 18 Jun 2015, 12:46 pm »
Voltage questions are answered in the FAQ section.

http://uptoneaudio.com/pages/usb-regen-questions-and-answers

Phil A

« Reply #99 on: 18 Jun 2015, 01:21 pm »
This is not a complete list but the Aqvox website (the list is a bit down the page) has some info on whether the USB chip is self powered in some DACs:

http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

I have a linear 5v power supply laying around that I had for my old Squeezebox Touch.  Following this thread with interest as I'm thinking about the device.  Thanks everyone for their input.