centurylink fiber optic internet speed test

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
centurylink fiber optic internet speed test
« on: 14 Jun 2019, 01:21 pm »
After years of using comcast cable internet service I recently opted for a change to centurylink after finding out that they now offer 1 GB/sec fiber optic internet service in our area. They claim that the 1 GB/sec speed is bidirectional (download AND upload).

After installing centurylink and adjusting my network I ran a speed test. Granted the speed test was between our office and a very local server and so results will not be as good with distant servers but nevertheless the results were impressive. Close enough to 1 GB/sec to conclude they aren't kidding about the bidirectional speed.

:thumb: centurylink!!

TomS

Re: centurylink fiber optic internet speed test
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2019, 02:44 pm »
Very nice, guessing that isn't coming to Sanibel anytime soon though (I wish).

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2019, 11:50 pm »
Cool, but at what price ?  Around here their pricing is pretty much the same as Comcast, and as hard at it may be to comprehend, their service is way worse. It may be better if it's a business service. Their field people are great, the office, not so much so.

MttBsh

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2019, 12:37 am »
Comcast sets the bar pretty high :lol:

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2019, 05:17 pm »
I pay 65.44 all in for gig to house. I have most things hard wired and two AP s in garage and front yard. Tried charter no go and so far even though service sucks their bandwidth has been solid.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2019, 06:58 pm »
Cool, but at what price ?  Around here their pricing is pretty much the same as Comcast, and as hard at it may be to comprehend, their service is way worse. It may be better if it's a business service. Their field people are great, the office, not so much so.

The Centurylink price for 1Gb/sec fiber optic is currently $65/mo which they claim they will never raise....we'll see about that. I think that's slightly less than what I was paying to Comcast but Comcast's speed was way slower, especially upload speed with maxed out around 10-20 Mb/sec. I did't make this switch based on price at all. The decision was made purely on bidirectional speed. With up to 1 GB/sec upload speed we'll be moving our website in house to our own dedicated server. As far as service goes my expectations are so low that it doesn't factor into my thinking. The centurylink field tech was great. I'll try very hard to never have to deal with their back office.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2019, 07:13 pm »
I switched to Xfinity from CenturyLink. Xfinity uses Comcast's network, but they're VASTLY SUPERIOR in customer service and everything all together. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER.

Anyways, CenturyLink was HELL. I was on an older slower DSL connection for a long time. I noticed it was the same price to quadruple my speed. When I switched my connection got considerably slower because they kept throttling me since I didn't "use enough". I had to call them constantly to get the speed I was paying for!!!  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: What a bunch of evil shit bags that should be castrated.

However if I could get 1gb fiber for that price, I'd have to consider it. I don't think I *need* it, but how can you not enjoy it? I'd mostly be afraid they'd throttle me constantly.

jparkhur

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2019, 07:19 pm »
I think Tortuga will be good. I agree with having to call customer service all the time. I have. Linksys 9500 then two 1900 ac Linksys as access points that are hard wired to the home router.  At this point I have 4 Xbox, 5 Mac laptops, 2 macs, 5 switches, 5 bulbs, two tablets, 5 phones, 5 Dots, 8 Wyze cameras, 4 TVs, two receivers, oppo dvd and 5 Roku land 3 Apple TV.  Of course they don’t all run at once but no one has said anything about the bandwidth yet.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2019, 07:26 pm »
I switched to Xfinity from CenturyLink. Xfinity uses Comcast's network, but they're VASTLY SUPERIOR in customer service and everything all together. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER.

Anyways, CenturyLink was HELL. I was on an older slower DSL connection for a long time. I noticed it was the same price to quadruple my speed. When I switched my connection got considerably slower because they kept throttling me since I didn't "use enough". I had to call them constantly to get the speed I was paying for!!!  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: What a bunch of evil shit bags that should be castrated.

However if I could get 1gb fiber for that price, I'd have to consider it. I don't think I *need* it, but how can you not enjoy it? I'd mostly be afraid they'd throttle me constantly.

I never heard a single good word about centurylink's DSL service. It's my understanding that DSL rides on top of the old landline wired system which has significant limitations. For several years centurylink  (around here at least) was pushing their TV/phone/internet service as a alternative to Comcast but their internet speeds were not impressive. But their infrastructure for that service was fiber optic. Then more recently they decided to dump TV and focus on internet. Their tech told me they are allocating their TV bandwidth over to internet. When existing customer with TV run out their contracts they won't be renewing the TV service. I fully expect to see throttling at times. Question remains how severely. As long as they maintain speeds 100-200 MB/s or higher including upload I'm not going to complain...much.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2019, 05:14 am »

Cor blimey, that's amazing... (says me who will be stuck with V-DSL probably forever... )

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2019, 09:13 pm »
I never heard a single good word about centurylink's DSL service. It's my understanding that DSL rides on top of the old landline wired system which has significant limitations. For several years centurylink  (around here at least) was pushing their TV/phone/internet service as a alternative to Comcast but their internet speeds were not impressive. But their infrastructure for that service was fiber optic. Then more recently they decided to dump TV and focus on internet. Their tech told me they are allocating their TV bandwidth over to internet. When existing customer with TV run out their contracts they won't be renewing the TV service. I fully expect to see throttling at times. Question remains how severely. As long as they maintain speeds 100-200 MB/s or higher including upload I'm not going to complain...much.

I was paying for 60Mbps, and getting less than 12Mbps with horrendous latency. Well, except for just after I call them.