Evolution One review

sresener

Re: Evolution One review
« Reply #60 on: 15 Jun 2019, 06:04 pm »
Arlequen
Congratulation on your purchase of Ref 20, they are indeed excellent and will break in a bit more over time manifested mainly as more relaxed. And yup, the Evos are better but in a way that you will not feel you are missing anything  unless you hear them side by side, in my option having owned both and still having the Evos.

I just turned my evo amplifiers on this morning. I have found every amp breaks in different. What can I expect from break in with the evo's. Does there bottom end change much? will they handle vocals differently?

gammajo

« Reply #61 on: 15 Jun 2019, 07:51 pm »
I am not sure of break in, the pair I purchased were dealer demos and had been played for awhile. About all I noticed after I had them  was that they became a bit more relaxed as the hours passed, but sounded excellent from day one. Hope this helps

sresener

« Reply #62 on: 15 Jun 2019, 10:10 pm »
My pair of amps changed dramatically from cold and first turn on, to only after a few hours of being played.  Thank goodness as at first I was very concerned. :)

sresener

« Reply #63 on: 23 Jun 2019, 02:55 am »
Well I Let the system burn in for a week and tonight I have a good chance to sit and just listen.

Now when I say I enjoy a lot of different music I really do mean it, I enjoy music from the eagles to Conway twitty to metallica to elvis to lady gaga to Fleetwood mac to maroon 5 to dianna kraul to Mark knoffler to dr hook to iron maiden to disturbed. (im all over the map)

Tonight I was just enjoying songs ALOT more than I can ever remember and kept thinking to myself "why do I think I need new speakers"

Now I remember when I first connected my mchk38 and it was such a improvement over my emotiva amps. Yes I lost a lot of raw power but I gained dynamics and detail, it was like comparing a low bit rate mp3 to a cd.

So I decided to warm up the mch-k38 and sit and listen to it.....

First I was greeted with a haze on everything, its hard to describe and I didn't notice it before but It smacks me in the face "ears" now.
There was more bottom end but it was considerably more boomy and uncontrolled (compared to the evo),
Details in mid to high frequencies are greatly reduced.
Even though the k38 lacked details it made my speakers considerably more harsh with higher frequencies.
The evolution amps effectively did to the mch-k38 what it did to my emotiva amps

I am enjoying what im hearing so much that I will now leave my two channel system as it is and figure out a second theater system  to run separately.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2019, 03:56 am by sresener »

gammajo

« Reply #64 on: 23 Jun 2019, 01:18 pm »
sresener
Thanks for reporting, it is very wonderful when we get to experience such a dramatic change for the better - enjoy your Evolutions!. Just got back from listening to a well set up (a very expensive) top of the line Esoteric and JR Rowland system in a well treated room and liked my home system with the Evos better.

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
« Reply #65 on: 24 Jun 2019, 09:18 am »
Removed, out of topic. Sorry

alexreusch

« Reply #66 on: 24 Jan 2020, 04:03 pm »
Dear friends,

there is a new review available in the German magazine "Audio". This is a very popular magazine in the German language area and the ratings are taken pretty serious in the audiophile community. Here are the scans from the magazine:

Here the first two pages of the review:

Here the last page:

For all of you, who do not speak German, I will summarize the review:

The title is a text from a well-known German song: "Above the clouds, freedom must be boundless..."
  • the circuit magical and the sound is equal to tubes
  • the highest musicality
  • the finish/quality of the hardware is outstanding
  • the sound and price/performance is outstanding

Final quote:
"Tube power amplifiers on cocaine - there is elegance and a beautiful high. What secret do the men of NuPrime keep? They will not give it away. This is how you create a myth."

The NuPrime Evolution One scored 133 points and is surrounded by components that are priced in the higher double digits... The Evo One is less expensive than everything else above in the ranking - and there is not much room left to the very top! Congratulations!
I don't know, if the scanned pages will be readable. Is there a chance for an upload, which does not compress the images too much and which allows to zoom-in for better reading?

swifri

« Reply #67 on: 24 Jan 2020, 05:41 pm »
Hey alexreusch, nice finding - truly exceptional - same (135 points) here for the evoDac: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160537.msg1779084#msg1779084
Thanks 4 sharing.

audio.bill

« Reply #68 on: 25 Jan 2020, 12:13 am »
Sincere congratulations to the entire NuPrime team, these are truly exceptional ratings by a highly respected and critical high end magazine.

alexreusch

« Reply #69 on: 25 Jan 2020, 07:19 am »
Hey alexreusch, nice finding - truly exceptional - same (135 points) here for the evoDac: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160537.msg1779084#msg1779084
Thanks 4 sharing.
Thanks! I could also provide a PDF, but there is no way to upload such documents in this forum. Any other website?

sresener

« Reply #70 on: 27 Jan 2020, 03:11 am »
I have always been skeptical on reviews like this.
 This magazine is trying to make money and if they constantly throw out bad reviews its going to effect there bottom line.

I hold a lot more weight on what a actual owner of the amp thinks, or even better what my personal experience is.

rustydoglim

« Reply #71 on: 28 Jan 2020, 02:16 am »
The way to interpret reviews (users and magazines) is to look for consistency and sometimes read between the lines.
Users will say whatever they want to say, so that should be the first thing to look for. And that's why we publicise audiocircle.com.  Magazines generally avoid publishing bad reviews, that's true.  But there are reasons for doing that, mainly they try to avoid damaging a manufacturer's reputation due to a reviewer's preference and subjective opinion. There are many good products out there, they can just focus on the positives. Now we are getting into "reading between the lines".  A positive review generally means you can consider this product. A highly rated review means you should consider this product. A "Product of the year" means you must consider this product.
I only use the word "consider" because in high end audio, system matching and personal preference play a big part in the decision.

Consistency is the most important criteria that you should consider from a manufacturer.  Consistency in the description of each and every products.  We do that so that when new products are released, the early adopters do not have to rely on reviews.  It takes many years for a manufacturer to establish a reputation and consistency. Once we have established a patent of consistency, we can't break it anymore.  Imagine if we say something about the AMG STA or PRA that is not accurate and users started to complain in the forum, our hard earn reputation will be ruined (may be not that extreme, but you won't trust what we say for the next product).  And this is the reason we haven't said too much about the AMG STA until now (I am going to post the listening impression after this post) as we feel that we need more time.

Westerwälder

« Reply #72 on: 28 Jan 2020, 06:16 am »
Let's take a closer look at a hi-fi magazine.
It is striking that many devices that are advertised with large ads also get a good test.
That could give us an idea. Somehow the magazine has to finance itself.
In the case of the Nuprime devices that were tested by Andreas Günther, I see no connection yet.
The dealers here in Germany hope that the Nuprime brand will now be of even greater interest to the hifi community due to these tests.

swifri

« Reply #73 on: 28 Jan 2020, 06:51 am »
I share the frustration about hi-fi magazines as simple guidance is expected but poetry is all we get. The remarkable thing about evoOne/Dac "audio"-test is, nuprime received >130 score in both cases. I never read any test of them exceeding 125 - far more expensive gear included. They really wanna tell you something.

sresener

« Reply #74 on: 30 Jan 2020, 04:05 am »
Don't get me wrong I think very highly of my evolutions amplifiers performance.
For what I paid for them they would be impossible to replace, I just wish Nuprime comes out with a more powerful version :)

FWIW mine don't sound like tube amps

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #75 on: 30 Jan 2020, 01:10 pm »
Let's take a closer look at a hi-fi magazine.
It is striking that many devices that are advertised with large ads also get a good test.
That could give us an idea. Somehow the magazine has to finance itself.

That's an audio myth and not how it works.  Products are requested for review, the manufacturer is aware that a review is being considered so they make sure, usually, to deliver a fully tested unit functioning to specification.  When the review is scheduled for publication the manufacturer is notified of which issue the review will be in and they often decide to take out an ad in that issue, but that's long after the review has been written.  Yes, magazines generally pick products that received a positive review for publication, nobody wants to read this product sucks, only comparison articles are immune from that.  And the sales department likely informs the manufacturer hey, you're getting a good review, wanna take out an ad.  But there's no direct collusion between manufacturer and the reviewer.

Samoyed

« Reply #76 on: 30 Jan 2020, 04:36 pm »
Opinions are like........, everybody has one. Is it more accurate to say they act in concert on a basic assumption?

eosdigic

« Reply #77 on: 31 Jan 2020, 07:52 am »

Most of owners say evo one is way too transparent/hi-res so they suggest to use a tube pre to make sound warmer/musical.
But this review says it sounds like tube..

alexreusch

« Reply #78 on: 31 Jan 2020, 05:30 pm »
Most of owners say evo one is way too transparent/hi-res so they suggest to use a tube pre to make sound warmer/musical.
But this review says it sounds like tube..
Which owners? I am an owner and I would never say that. The Evo One is very balanced and musical.

sresener

« Reply #79 on: 31 Jan 2020, 11:26 pm »
Which owners? I am an owner and I would never say that. The Evo One is very balanced and musical.

I would say the evo is transparent and will pick apart poor sources or equipment, but if your system is put together well it will reward you.

To me the only weakness of the evo is the amount of power it has. When I read review saying things like "endless power" or "handles difficult speakers to drive with ease" I pretty much dismiss the review.

When I tried smaller speakers this wasn't a issue as my subwoofer's "had" to carry the load. But when I pushed some kef r900's, focal 1038's or b&w 803's..... well the evo amps simply could not push these speakers to what I know they are capable of, and again the subwoofers have to be introduced.

Now don't take that last statement as a rip on the evolutions as the other amps I heard were considerably more powerful,  a pair of Brytson 4b3's, simaudio 400m's

And when I talk about power its not about shear db, its about making drums, bass guitars, grand pianos  or even cellos grab your attention and make it feel like its right in front of you. I also prefer to listen to music a bit hot on the bottom end too :)

So nuprime needs to make a amp with the precision of the evo and the power of a bridged bryston 4b3  :)