Direct, from Las Vegas . . .

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2005, 12:40 am »
Here's the Sapphire XL in piano black:

Piledriver

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jan 2005, 12:44 am »
Harry, I have never heard nor felt anything like the Maestro. I have sat in every area of my room and listened to two channel as well as countless movies and let me tell you it is amazing. The Maestro fills the room during the epic battles in movies yet retains definition and does not come accross as over powering. Listening to two channel audio the definition is unbelievable from the subtle smooth bass violin to the booming kettle drums. The quickness of the Maestro I'm sure will astond you as it does me.

brj

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jan 2005, 12:45 am »
Very nice finish!

I guess I missed it in the earlier pictures, but what is the reason for the "stepped" shape of the cabinet?

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2005, 02:48 am »
Ahhh, now I see the rest of the cab. Still interesting.
You're teasing us, what's in the back?

Has that `I mean Business ' Look.

E

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jan 2005, 05:17 pm »
Quote from: brj
Very nice finish!

I guess I missed it in the earlier pictures, but what is the reason for the "stepped" shape of the cabinet?

Thanks! Looks far better in person :)

Controling cabinet resonance is extremely important to the ultimate sound quality of a speaker. The side panels of most speakers have the largest area, and radiate the most out of phase energy. Using the right material is important. Extensive bracing helps, but we found out a long time ago that varying the thickness of the wall can make dramatic improvements. Greater improvements than simply making the wall thicker.  For this reason, in the Sapphire XL and XS, the rear half of each side is double thickness.

circularduck

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2005, 05:50 pm »
Quote from: Mike Dzurko

For this reason, in the Sapphire XL and XS, the rear half of each side is double thickness.

Okay, I'll bite.  What's the difference between the XL and the XS?

Or how about some spec's on either one?  Comparisons to the existing Sapphires?  :)  Price?  :D Something!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2005, 06:43 pm »
The XL is the standard model and the XS is a premium model with some upgrades which we'll be listing shortly. Both are available in a variety of finishes including piano black (standard), Lexus Pearl White, Maple, Rosewood, and Cherry. Additionally, they can be special ordered in virtually any automotive paint finish!

In addition to our room at CES, Bow Technologies of Denmark used a pair of Sapphire XL with their superb CD Player and Integrated amp. I don't know a lot of detail about this setup as I was only able to visit briefly. I believe they said the pricing on the CD player and Amp were around 9200 Euro each . . .beautiful gear!

Eric

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2005, 07:44 pm »
New Sapphires look great Mike!!

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #28 on: 13 Jan 2005, 07:48 pm »
Mike
Does this represent a design evloution across the line in the future or just something for the 2 way system?

I agree with Eric - that fat rear is growing on me ;-)

E

brj

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2005, 08:07 pm »
Thanks! Looks far better in person :)

I believe it!

Controling cabinet resonance is extremely important to the ultimate sound quality of a speaker. The side panels of most speakers have the largest area, and radiate the most out of phase energy. Using the right material is important. Extensive bracing helps, but we found out a long time ago that varying the thickness of the wall can make dramatic improvements. Greater improvements than simply making the wall thicker.  For this reason, in the Sapphire XL and XS, the rear half of each side is double thickness.

I love it when people figure out new, simple ways to solve a problem! :)

I wonder if a wedge shape would work as well... i.e. instead of adding a second, partial span, full thickness layer of material to the sides, add a full span, tapered layer of material.  Thus, you would gradually thicken from just the single layer at the front edge to two full layers at the back edge.  At the very least, I'm sure that the poor guy that has to sand the finish around those corners would be happier! :lol:

Actually, now that I really think about that for a bit... it really would be easier to finish without the additional corners, which means that it would take less time, which means that it would cost a bit less.  Of course, that is only a plus if it works just as well as the "step" variation in thickness.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jan 2005, 09:02 pm »
Quote from: thedeskE
Mike
Does this represent a design evloution across the line in the future or just something for the 2 way system?

I agree with Eric - that fat rear is growing on me ;-)

E

Eric:

This is something that is still under discussion . . .but I'll say that there is a very strong possibility of heading this way.

Brg:

You're right, as far as resonance control, a varying thickness wedge is also a good way of doing it. As far as production, with the equipment used, and techniques, it won't be much of a cost factor.

brj

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan 2005, 09:15 pm »
Brg:

You're right, as far as resonance control, a varying thickness wedge is also a good way of doing it. As far as production, with the equipment used, and techniques, it won't be much of a cost factor.

But it would look cool too! :D

Thanks for the response, Mike!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #32 on: 10 Feb 2005, 01:02 pm »
Terry of DH Labs sent me a CD with more pics from the show. Here's one of them and I'll post more when I get a chance:

Harry P

« Reply #33 on: 10 Feb 2005, 10:04 pm »
Mike, the more pictures the better, how about some more pictures of the lady?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #34 on: 20 Feb 2005, 02:13 am »
Quote from: Harry P
Mike, the more pictures the better, how about some more pictures of the lady?

Harry:

You dog you :) I'll have to see what I have . . . I wish we would have taken a group shot with all the crew from our room . . .

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #35 on: 21 Feb 2005, 03:42 pm »
Here's the very cool Primaluna integrated amp we used: