Ear 834P and VDH Frog Gold

Jack Hawthorne

Ear 834P and VDH Frog Gold
« on: 17 Nov 2020, 05:05 am »
Hello

I've had a WTL Amadeus GTA for the past six years and have enjoyed it immensely. I've been using an AudioNote IQ3 cartridge and an EAR 834P MM/MC Phonostage into an Audion Silver night 300B amp and Audionote AZ3 speakers. I would say that it has a warm rich dynamic sound with lots of bass that sometimes can get a little out of control but is always supremely musical with lovely tone and a holographic quality. This last couple of weeks I had the opportunity to upgrade to a Van Den Hul 'The Frog Gold' MC cartridge which surprisingly I'm not enjoying as much out of the MC section of the 834P! its lost some of its ambience and is sounding too 'Hi-fi' which came as quite a surprise (read...crushing disappointment) I know its not the cartridge because i had a chance to audition on the Arm of my WTL and i was blown away by how good it sounded...... so my question is.....should i carry on with the MM section of the 834P and use a SUT?.... or sell the 834P and get something better if possible. I much prefer the sound of an all valve phonostage and own a Dynavector P75 Mk2 that sounds awful in comparison in my system.
my budget would be around £1500 and i don't mind buying second hand, I've seen the Icon Audio Ps1 Mk2 advertised which looks pretty and also the updated EAR Phonobox... but does anyone know of anything else on the market that would be a good match for my cartridge?

Thanks in advance for any help

Jack

mick wolfe

Re: Ear 834P and VDH Frog Gold
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2020, 07:17 pm »
I'm guessing it's simply a mismatch with your current SUT. (which I assume is built into the EAR) Any one SUT does not fit all by any stretch. Do a search and see what SUT (or step up) others are using with the Frog.

garyalex

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2020, 08:53 pm »
If it were me I'd get an SUT and use the EAR's MM section.  That's what I do with my Koetsu Black and 834P.

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2020, 09:40 pm »
I've heard similar over the years. The SUT in the EAR is not its strong suit. As always however, YMMV.

Jack Hawthorne

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2020, 10:58 am »
Hi Mick and Garyalex

Thank you both for replying!

Yah i have read up now on the poor quality of the sut's in the 834P and have bought an external SUT so i can run it through the MM.

Thanks again for your help

Jack

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2020, 03:54 pm »
You're welcome. Good luck with the new SUT.

garyalex

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2020, 07:10 pm »
Excellent.  Glad this worked out for you.