Dave's Cables Interconnect Cable Tour (New Tour With Speaker Cables: Page 10)

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Dave's Cables Interconnect Cable Tour
« Reply #160 on: 12 Jan 2014, 04:37 pm »
Hi John, Thanks for your comments!

I am working on getting D3 interconnect cables and speaker cables built and burned in for a tour, and will hopefully be able to get them ready by the end of the month.   :)

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #161 on: 28 Jan 2014, 12:10 am »
Hi!

Still working on getting demo D3 cables ready, it's getting closer! The D3s have proven to be pretty popular and so far they have not lost a listening comparison against ANYTHING. So I am very happy about that as there has been some stiff competition... the Neotech silver/gold alloy wire is probably unbeatable right now.  :green:

I am also testing out RCA connectors for the next cable, which will be an all out assault on making the world's best IC cable. With Neotech as a design partner and the new silver/gold wire I think it is achievable. The geometry will be too complicated to make by hand so I may attempt to crowd-fund the project via kickstarter as the minimum order of cable and connectors will be very expensive.

Here's some pics of the connectors that will be compared on the current D3 cable. After the cables are built, burnt in and tested I will post a thread about connectors in the path of least resistance so it can be a resource. I am unaware of another comparison of connectors at this level so it should be helpful for those who are considering spending around 4 bills on RCA connectors.

Furutech:

Neotech:

WBT/Mundorf:

Xhadow (more of an alternative to my current Furutech FP-101 than a choice for the higher end cable, but who knows?)

maxima95

« Reply #162 on: 28 Jan 2014, 02:12 am »
Dave,

It will be good for you to hear to OCC/Rhodium (Furutech CF-102R and the Neotech NER-OCC RH) vs. Silver (OFC/Silver Xhadow and WBT/Mundorf 99% Silver/1%Gold).

Don't know what the base material is for the WBT/Mundorf center pin (if there is another base metal).

The differences and how they mate with the D3 will be interesting and informative.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #163 on: 28 Jan 2014, 03:10 am »
Hi maxima, the WBT/Mundorf center pin and ground pin is made of Mundorf's silver/gold alloy with platinum plating. I am thinking it may do well with the Neotech OCC silver/gold alloy wire.  :D

I have tried a few other connectors with rhodium plating and I thought it was too bright in the Furutech plugs with the filament type center pins (FP-106 I think), I liked it better than gold plating on UPOCC copper center pins, but I have not tried the CF plugs yet. The gold plated FP-101s I use on the D2, D3 and DD are really excellent and not horribly expensive like the other plugs I'm trying. I think the Xhadows will be very good and may be offered as an alternative to the FP-101s to customize the sound to the customers preference and system.

This is not an inexpensive test, but it is necessary to make sure the next cable will live up to it's expectations. while there are other plugs out there, the ones I have chosen have been carefully selected and represent the absolute best RCA connectors available.

jonbee

« Reply #164 on: 28 Jan 2014, 03:26 am »
That's a very interesting project! I'd love to hear about it.
BTW, my DDs came today for my office system. The speakers there use RAAL ribbon tweeters. With many ICS they are balanced a bit hot, but with the DDs they are smooth, natural and very spacious, without losing detail or dynamics. Lovely sound. The D3s in this system were a bit too forward, while in my main system my preferences were reversed. Matchups are key, but both cables offer very high quality, refined sound, and at a very attractive, even unbeatable, price. The speaker cables are an even bigger bargain, so I've re-wired my two best systems with Dave's cables, and the sound is just awe inspiring.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #165 on: 28 Jan 2014, 05:42 pm »
Hi John, Congrats on your 666th post  :icon_twisted:

I'm glad to hear you got the DD, and as you said it is a great match for some systems while the D3 is better in others... the D3 is really a more neutral and accurate cable while the DD is more laid back and matches well with bright/hot systems or when personal preference leans to a more relaxed and romantic sound.

I am building D3s as fast as I can to get demos burnt in and the new connectors tested!

jonbee

« Reply #166 on: 28 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm »
I am building D3s as fast as I can to get demos burnt in and the new connectors tested!
Nice to hear your good work is being recognized!

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #167 on: 10 Feb 2014, 01:15 am »
Hi Audiocircle!

I am getting some demo cables ready to send on tour.  :green:

1. There will be a pair of 12' long 14 gauge speaker cables made with the UPOCC copper litz-type wire that is my exclusive product. It will have Furutech FT-211/212 locking bananas and spade connectors. The cable is very accurate,  detailed and revealing, somewhat forward and bright compared to regular copper, but with NO harshness or undesirable artifacts. If you are using regular copper speaker cables these will be a huge improvement if you have decent equipment. I am also sending a set of jumpers with Furutech FP-201 spades with gold and rhodium plating.

2. There will be D3 and a D3 XLR interconnect cables. AC member RPM123 will burn in the D3 XLRs for me, the others are built and burning in as I type this message. The D3 is turning out to be, in many cases, quite a bit better than the Duelund cable... and it has been compared with some very expensive cables and it hasn't lost a listening comparison yet. The Neotech UPOCC silver/gold alloy wire is really incredible!

I picked these cables because I think the 14g SCs + D3 ICs are the best value combination of cables for a high end audio system. The speaker cables could be (slightly) outdone by UPOCC silver cables priced in the $5k+ range and the D3 ICs are among the best in the world already so you might be looking in the $3k+ range to try to top them. So for around $1k I can provide a set of cables that you will need very deep pockets to try to do any better and for most systems it doesn't make sense to spend in the $10k range just for cabling as those funds would be better allocated elsewhere. For many folks that have decent equipment but just ok cabling using these cables will be a major night-and-day kind of a difference.

And I think that's going to be it for the tour cables because the value of the cables is getting up there. One caveat... if you participate the shipping insurance will cost a bit, the value of the cables is near $1900 and I would be ok with insurance for $1600. I expect in most cases insured shipping will cost around $30-35 and signatures will probably be required. UPS or FedEx is ok.

So far RPM123, maxima95(?), mikeeastman, Ozark Tom, maybe shaizada?

Please let me know if you are interested in being on this tour. You must have a post history (50 minimum) here on AC!

genjamon

« Reply #168 on: 10 Feb 2014, 01:24 am »
Ummm, yes please!!!

jonbee

« Reply #169 on: 10 Feb 2014, 01:49 am »
I picked these cables because I think the 14g SCs + D3 ICs are the best value combination of cables for a high end audio system. The speaker cables could be (slightly) outdone by UPOCC silver cables priced in the $5k+ range and the D3 ICs are among the best in the world already so you might be looking in the $3k+ range to try to top them. So for around $1k I can provide a set of cables that you will need very deep pockets to try to do any better and for most systems it doesn't make sense to spend in the $10k range just for cabling as those funds would be better allocated elsewhere. For many folks that have decent equipment but just ok cabling using these cables will be a major night-and-day kind of a difference.
Amen. I'm very pleased since I've switched to D3s and Dave's SCs. My listening group came over last week and they were very impressed with the sound too. I highly recommend AC-ers take Dave up on this tour. It's the best way I know of to try out great gear in one's own system.

Audioclyde

« Reply #170 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:05 am »
I'm interested in being on the tour; although from everything I've read, the DD's might be more to my listening preferences.

Best,

Randy

Chris Adams

« Reply #171 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:10 am »
Sent a PM. Love to be on the tour especially the D3 XLR cables. You can put me at the bottom of the list as I won't be available until 2nd week of March.

Thanks, Dave :thumb:

RPM123

« Reply #172 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:26 am »
Looking forward to the tour and I hope they arrive before the long weekend!  :D

maxima95

« Reply #173 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:34 am »
I'm looking forward to this.  I've wanted to hear the 14 ga speaker cables for some time, particularly with those nice connectors.  I currently have a DD RCA and would like to hear the D3.  The D3 XLR is a great bonus because I now need an XLR cable.  I can find a way to try the jumpers also.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #174 on: 15 Feb 2014, 05:36 am »
Hi everyone!

I got the package out to RPM123 today, so not in time for the weekend but I wanted the SCs and single ended ICs to get a good burn-in. I tried to drop off the package at a UPS drop box yesterday but it got jammed inside the drop box... I didn't want to leave the package where someone could possibly steal it and it took some force to get the thing back out. Lol, glad the cops weren't passing by at the time, it wouldn't have looked good.  :duh:

So far on the tour we have:

RPM123
maxima95
mikeeastman
Ozark Tom
Chris Adams
Audioclyde
sounddog
poseidonsvoice
guf
jd3
teeetee

Let me know if anyone else is interested!

Also, @Audioclyde I have been recommending the D3 over the DD for most systems lately. The DD is still the best choice for some systems, especially those that are a little on the hot and bright side, shouty (midrange peak) or have a rising frequency response. So if you try the D3 and feel it is too forward, bright or unforgiving then the DD would be worth a listen... but overall it's not as accurate, clear or detailed as the D3, and the D3's tone is just amazing, very realistic. Also, every once in a while I have run into systems where the DD just falls flat and doesn't work at all where that never happens with the D3 (knock on wood  :green:).

The D3 has been coming out on top in listening comparisons against some really nice cables including recently the Nordost Valhallas which go for $4500, Analysis Plus silver, and many others. The Neotech silver/gold alloy is a breakthrough product, probably the world's best wire for audio use right now.

« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2014, 03:44 am by DaveC113 »

jd3

« Reply #175 on: 15 Feb 2014, 12:42 pm »
Dave,
I've got the D2 XLR's and would love to try the D3's if I can be added to the tour.

teetee

« Reply #176 on: 16 Feb 2014, 12:15 am »
Dave,
Would like to try your D3 RCA cable and speaker cable. Please add me to your tour
thanks

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #177 on: 16 Feb 2014, 01:21 am »
This is great, I appreciate the interest!   :thumb:

Since there is a decent amount of interest I am thinking about sending out a 2nd tour package...  a set of 8' speaker cables and 1 meter D3 single ended interconnects. I have both of those items burnt-in and ready to go. If you do not need the XLR version of the D3 and 8' speaker cables are long enough for you to try out let me know and we can get you guys on a separate tour so people won't have to wait as long.

teetee

« Reply #178 on: 16 Feb 2014, 03:37 am »
Dave,
I only need RCA IC and speaker cable
Thanks

jd3

« Reply #179 on: 16 Feb 2014, 11:25 am »
This is great, I appreciate the interest!   :thumb:

Since there is a decent amount of interest I am thinking about sending out a 2nd tour package...  a set of 8' speaker cables and 1 meter D3 single ended interconnects. I have both of those items burnt-in and ready to go. If you do not need the XLR version of the D3 and 8' speaker cables are long enough for you to try out let me know and we can get you guys on a separate tour so people won't have to wait as long.
Dave,
You can add me to that group.  Thanks!