Hypex NCore question and answers

Jonathon Janusz

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #60 on: 14 Apr 2012, 05:09 am »
I just read the datasheets for the amp, power supply, and soft start boards.  Advantages I could see to using the soft start board (unless I'm missing something?):

Easy wiring for standby on/off switch installation (mains switch on the back, standby switch in front?)

A convenient header for wiring up on/standby LEDs

If one is really hard core (or living on the edge of small case size and or minimal cooling) and looking for overkill, adding thermal shutoff protection above and beyond what is already in place?

Looking at some of the pictures, with a nice prebuilt case, it looks like even someone as unskilled when it comes to DIY as myself could probably pull this off without too much trouble in an afternoon or weekend with a little preparation. . . which I REALLY shouldn't start trying to convince myself to be true. . .  :lol:

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #61 on: 14 Apr 2012, 10:17 am »
The bottom line is that member "Stig" finds the NCores better. There I just saved you some time.   :lol:
Hmm, curious to know how do YOU find them! :green:

What pre-amp are they to be used with? Can they work with tube pre? :scratch:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #62 on: 14 Apr 2012, 12:07 pm »
Hmm, curious to know how do YOU find them! :green:

What pre-amp are they to be used with? Can they work with tube pre? :scratch:

I believe Mike Galusha used a tube preamp with them during his audition.  I will be using a tube preamp (fully loaded Atma-Sphere MP-1 MK 3.1) with them next when I give them a listen.

George

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #63 on: 14 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm »
When I heard them at jtwrace's it took me but a few minutes to realize we were on to something over the top special. I ordered mine, the very next day, and like you will hopefully be in receipt of my modules/powersupplies by May 2012.

What pre-amp are they to be used with? Can they work with tube pre? Also, can they be used with linear power supply too?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: 14 Apr 2012, 12:38 pm »
What pre-amp are they to be used with? Can they work with tube pre? Also, can they be used with linear power supply too?
TRL Dude which is a tube pre.

HT cOz

« Reply #65 on: 14 Apr 2012, 02:22 pm »
That's exactly what my friend used for his build...just wondering if we were somehow missing something.

I'm all for overkill, but only if there is some logical reason for it.  The addition of the soft start just doesn't make any sense to me.

-Jim

You guys are absolutely correct.  This particular design uses a Bulgin Vandal switch in addition to the IEC rocker switch.  The Bulgin is rated for 5 amps and I asked Brunno if this was enough to accommodate the Power Supply he said it was.  Now I don't think I would wire 2 power supplies to this particular switch without some other on off switch so it doesn't see too much amperage.  The rocker switch is a 20 amp switch which can handle any load we would put on it. 

This particular gentleman wanted to build it this way and it works well.  I would prefer for the SMPS to have an additional on/off switch that does not see the full line voltage.  That makes incorporating a front panel switch easier.

You could imagine wiring many of these together an additional board might make sense.  Maybe that is why Brunno was considering building it.  I'm sure there is a reason for all the design considerations...

Party on... :thumb:

Robert

mgalusha

« Reply #66 on: 14 Apr 2012, 02:23 pm »
I believe Mike Galusha used a tube preamp with them during his audition.  I will be using a tube preamp (fully loaded Atma-Sphere MP-1 MK 3.1) with them next when I give them a listen.

This is correct. My preamp is 6SN7 based, all film caps, CCS loaded plates, transformer balanced outputs.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #67 on: 14 Apr 2012, 02:40 pm »
Has anyone considered using the Bybee Music Rails between the the SMPS and the amplier module to reduce power supply noise even more. Might make a great amp, greaterer!
FYI--I have been using Hypex UCD400HGs for three years now and like them a lot. The NCores are on my most wanted list.
Chris H.

firedog

« Reply #68 on: 14 Apr 2012, 03:48 pm »
Let's try and make this easy for newbies (like me). To build a monoblock Ncore amp, you need:

suitable case - with enough space for air cooling as recommended in Ncore data sheet
Ncore amp board
Hypex SMPS600 PS
IEC socket
connecting wire
1 XLR input
1 RCA input
2 Speakon posts
2 Speaker binding post
1 on off switch

Any special wire or other special characteristics of the above needed? Anything missing from the above?
Note: you can build a stereo Ncore in one case with 2 amp modules and just one SMPS 600 supply, but Hypex recommends using 2 power supplies.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #69 on: 14 Apr 2012, 04:18 pm »
firedog - Your list looks complete but it leaves the question of which of those things do I get with the kit and which do I have to provide.

If we take a tip from Apple, we would list what's in the box first, and then what else will you need. Also important to split out what is needed for stereo and what is needed for dual mono.

So far, none of the lists or descriptions I've seen does this.

Taking it further, an experienced builder might even list the required pieces and source them with links included.

There are, after all, the utterly clueless like me who can use all the guidance, instruction and advice you can provide. Testimonials I have seen indicate that anyone can do this but don't take into account that many of us haven't the foggiest notion of how to know what connects where. Another thing that might be useful is any indication as to where you HAVE TO solder and where you can get away with crimping clips on wires.

I'm sure this will all be better illustrated and better described as more of us travel this terrain.
For now though, many questions continue to hover.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #70 on: 14 Apr 2012, 05:09 pm »
Has anyone considered using the Bybee Music Rails between the the SMPS and the amplier module to reduce power supply noise even more. Might make a great amp, greaterer!
FYI--I have been using Hypex UCD400HGs for three years now and like them a lot. The NCores are on my most wanted list.
Chris H.

I know the bybeelabs mr requires dc voltage for it to work. It also requires extra parts/circuitry for any voltage higher than 30 volts, and the Ncore has multiple voltage requirements.

Have you implemented the bybeelabs mr with your ucd 400hg? Perhaps you should do that first and report back.

Anand.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #71 on: 14 Apr 2012, 05:15 pm »
Let's try and make this easy for newbies (like me). To build a monoblock Ncore amp, you need:

suitable case - with enough space for air cooling as recommended in Ncore data sheet
Ncore amp board
Hypex SMPS600 PS
IEC socket
connecting wire
1 XLR input
1 RCA input
2 Speakon posts
2 Speaker binding post
1 on off switch

Any special wire or other special characteristics of the above needed? Anything missing from the above?
Note: you can build a stereo Ncore in one case with 2 amp modules and just one SMPS 600 supply, but Hypex recommends using 2 power supplies.

I do not understand why you have Speakon posts listed? Why do you have a separate RCA input listed? The best recommendation for owners who have single ended preamps or sources is to either purchase/make a RCA to Xlr cable, or use a RCA to Xlr adapter right at the input of the Ncore amp (my preferred choice, so you can freely use your existing RCA interconnect). I try to stick with the KISS principle.

Best, Anand.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #72 on: 14 Apr 2012, 05:18 pm »
There is no kit, per se, but from what I gather, when you buy an amp board and Hypex power supply, you get all cabling and connectors that are necessary for all internal connections, except for wire to connect the amp to the outputs (that is, to the speaker posts that you choose, speakon or otherwise). 

These parts and connections are all identified in the Hypex datasheets; for the power supply, they are described on pages 6 and 7, and for the amp board, on pages 4 and 5.

So aside from all of the chassis connectors, you need to supply wire from the amp board to the speaker posts, and wiring and switches for any of those you add unless the IEC you choose includes a power switch. 

I believe that none of the stuff listed below is included -- and most would choose either an RCA or an XLR, not both.  Bruno makes a real fuss about usng XLR, so I will go with that and use XLR-RCA converter on the input:

> suitable case
> IEC socket
> 1 XLR input
> 1 RCA input
> 2 Speakon posts
> 2 Speaker binding post
> 1 on off switch

I am hoping to be able to sort out how to use nAMPON function (see pin3, page 5, amp datasheet), which I think is a way to keep the power supply powered, while turning off the amp board. 

The image below, which is from the DIYAudio thread, shows the modules and basic wiring (for RCA input), including a switch (the red toggle), which I suspect is controlling the nAMPON function.

If anyone knows about the nAMPON function for sure, please pipe up! 

HT cOz

« Reply #73 on: 14 Apr 2012, 06:14 pm »
At the simplest level you need the following:

1). Case if made of aluminum no ventilation is required
2). An input either XLR or Single Ended -> XLR is prefered
3). An IEC with power switch
4). Speaker binding posts

Here is an example of a simple rear case.

waltzingbear

« Reply #74 on: 14 Apr 2012, 07:57 pm »

If anyone knows about the nAMPON function for sure, please pipe up! 

the nAMPon line is to enable the amp out of "mute" mode. attach the nAMPon line to ground and the amp is operational, ie on.

when the line is high (not connected to ground) the amp is muted.

This is a convenient way to put the amp in standby, the draw is about 5W then.

There is also a connection on the SMPS to turn the SMPS off, but it requires an external power supply to work.

all this is in the manual, although many people have been confused by the nAMPon connection.

cheers
Alan

ps I have two mono block nCores, quite happy. See my reviews in diy

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #75 on: 14 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm »
Alan, thanks, that's helpful, as are your comments on the thread at DIYAudio.

HT cOz

« Reply #76 on: 14 Apr 2012, 11:08 pm »
Thanks for posting Alan.  :thumb:

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #77 on: 16 Apr 2012, 09:29 am »
TRL Dude which is a tube pre.

Hmm I'll be quite interested to audition the combo, to note how these ultra low distortion power amps react with tube pre-amps which have quite higher distortion figures.

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #78 on: 16 Apr 2012, 09:36 am »
I will be using a tube preamp (fully loaded Atma-Sphere MP-1 MK 3.1) with them next when I give them a listen.

Eagerly awaiting your feedback. :thumb:

Wondering how a B1 buffer would fare. Has anyone tried it?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #79 on: 16 Apr 2012, 10:31 am »
Hmm I'll be quite interested to audition the combo, to note how these ultra low distortion power amps react with tube pre-amps which have quite higher distortion figures.

Please stop making an assumption that tubes equal higher distortion.

This hasn't been true for quite some time now.

George