Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #780 on: 19 Mar 2014, 06:44 am »
So we are in total agreement.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #781 on: 19 Mar 2014, 11:02 am »
Actually, I read @jtwrace's comment to imply that while it don't hurt to do it like this, it won't cause an improvement.  e.g. if you like the look of separate cases, great... otherwise, just put them in once case and save money/time/space.
This is true.   :)

So we are in total agreement.
As usual.   ;)

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #782 on: 19 Mar 2014, 11:13 am »
This is true.   :)

As usual.   ;)

;)

spreadspectrum

« Reply #783 on: 21 May 2014, 10:28 pm »
I am wondering of you guys could shed some light on something that I have been wondering for some time.

I want to re-connect a pair of subwoofers to my system, which have been idle since living with the nCore monoblock amps for a while.  I have traditionally preferred the high level inputs on the sub (second run of speaker cables from amp outputs to high level inputs of sub).  The reasons for this are beyond the nature of my post.  However, I have read a bit about "issues" with connecting digital amplifiers in this manner.  I have surmised that this has something to do with potential relative to ground on the outputs, but I would be pretending if I really understood it.  I know that REL modified their subwoofer cables to address this.

Short question is this: does anyone know if there may be problems using the high level ouputs of nCore to feed subwoofers?  If there is any possible issue, I'll just switch to using a second pair of line level outputs from my pre-amp.

Thanks for your input.

Ryan

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #784 on: 21 May 2014, 10:45 pm »
I do not think there should be any problem using high level inputs on subs the normal way with Ncore, but to be certain I would send Hypex an e-mail asking about it.  The output stage of the Ncore amps are essentially ground referenced: the black speaker terminal is ground, and I do not recall there being any potential above ground.
This was a problem with the ICEPower amps, as they sat around 40 volts away from G (but it could be dealt with as well by adding some caps), and balanced output amps need to the sub high level cable to hooked up to + and the amp G (not -), but Ncore is single ended output.
I am not sure, so ask Hypex, but I am now curious and will go and measure the Ncore now...

spreadspectrum

« Reply #785 on: 21 May 2014, 11:42 pm »
I am not sure, so ask Hypex, but I am now curious and will go and measure the Ncore now...

This is yet ANOTHER lesson that I should just suck it up and buy a voltmeter.  Nonethless, I am intrigued by what you find.  In addition, I'll take your advice and ping Hypex on the matter.  Going the line level out from the pre-amp would not be a bad option, but I understand that in some pre-amplifiers this unbalances the balanced outputs if they are in use (I use the balanced outputs to drive the nCores).  I am checking with Hegel to see their advice on this as well (I use their P20).

Ryan

spreadspectrum

« Reply #786 on: 22 May 2014, 10:28 am »
Pretty quick feedback from Hypex...

"Our amps have the speaker negative at ground potential. To the best of my knowledge it should be no problem connecting an NC400 to the high level inputs of a REL subwoofer and I've never heard of a situation where it lead to any problems."

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #787 on: 22 May 2014, 01:17 pm »
Yup, as I expected.  I prefer running subs from the amp connection as well. 

acninja

« Reply #788 on: 12 Apr 2015, 09:51 pm »
after reading everything in this subforum i'm very interested in purchasing, or at least demoing these nc400 based amps.  that being said, why are there so many for sale?  if they were as good as all the rave reviews, wouldn't people keep them instead of selling them?

a second question, how do they compare to the "class d audio" SDS amps?

thanks!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #789 on: 12 Apr 2015, 09:54 pm »
after reading everything in this subforum i'm very interested in purchasing, or at least demoing these nc400 based amps.  that being said, why are there so many for sale?  if they were as good as all the rave reviews, wouldn't people keep them instead of selling them?
People love to try new things and usually perceive "different" as "better".  The data doesn't lie though.  They're excellent! 

a second question, how do they compare to the "class d audio" SDS amps?
thanks!
Money aside, no comparison.

Julf

« Reply #790 on: 13 Apr 2015, 05:55 am »
why are there so many for sale?  if they were as good as all the rave reviews, wouldn't people keep them instead of selling them?

For some people the actual building is the fun - once they are done, they want to move on. Some build them specifically for sale/profit. Then you have the people who discover that a neutral and transparent amplifier isn't actually for them - a lot of the high-end seems to be about a specific "sound" these days. And then we have the people who get slightly disappointed when they find out that even an excellent amp doesn't sound that much different from a merely "good" amp, and the real mileage in terms of improvement comes from the speakers and the room.

Gentlegiant

« Reply #791 on: 4 May 2015, 05:25 am »
Hello, I'm fairly new to this forum. Can anyone tell me if Hypex is still producing/selling the NC400
and associated switching power supply? These items are listed as "out of stock" on their web site,
which doesn't appear to have contact info other than a phone number (I'm in the US).

Thanks in advance.

lowtech

« Reply #792 on: 4 May 2015, 06:42 am »
Hello, I'm fairly new to this forum. Can anyone tell me if Hypex is still producing/selling the NC400
and associated switching power supply? These items are listed as "out of stock" on their web site,
which doesn't appear to have contact info other than a phone number (I'm in the US).

Thanks in advance.

"NC400 -- Out of stock -- Available in Week 25"

I guess that means first week of July.  http://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=4466

The SMPS600 seems to be in stock.

Julf

« Reply #793 on: 4 May 2015, 06:46 am »

You could try sales@hypex.nl or support@hypex.nl. It seems Hypex does the modules in batches.

Gentlegiant

« Reply #794 on: 5 May 2015, 02:57 am »
Thank you much, Gentlemen. Given that the latest "news" on their web site is from 2013,
I found myself wondering whether any of the information was current. In any event, I have
sent them off an e-mail asking for further details and will publish anything of interest here.

NachoTime

« Reply #795 on: 5 May 2015, 03:14 am »
I purchased a pair of NC400's and a SMPS1200A400 on 3/25/15.  The order was placed via their website and all items were in stock at that time.

Looks like they must of run out of stock sometime in the month of April.