Poll

Do you own or plan to own a turntable?

I own a turntable and it is......
12 (70.6%)
I don't own a table but I plan to get one.  My options are....
1 (5.9%)
I'm all about the pits (CD only audiophile)
2 (11.8%)
What's a turntable?
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: 3 Oct 2003, 07:27 pm

Allright, who has a turntable or is going to buy one soon?

Marbles

« Reply #20 on: 9 Sep 2003, 10:55 pm »
My Teres Turntable is powered by a Teres motor which is powered by a battery.  This battery is a trickle charge model that I leave plugged in all the time.  No fuss, no muss.

http://www.teresaudio.com/battery.html

From the Teres website:

Description
Listening evaluations have shown that powering the Teres motor from a battery results in a significant sonic improvement. Retrieval of low level detail, clarity and imaging are all improved with battery power.

Smart Charger
We discovered that there is a degradation in sonic performance when the charging circuit is connected to the battery. The Teres battery option solves this problem with an innovative approach. The circuitry detects when the motor is running and automatically disconnects the charger via a small relay. Not only does this automatic disconnect circuit improve sonic performance but it also maximizes battery life by keeping the battery fully charged. The result is a simple, plug and forget battery supply with the best possible sonic performance

mcrespo71

« Reply #21 on: 12 Sep 2003, 04:21 pm »
The Teres battery supply just goes to show that, on paper at least, these turntables appear to be world beaters!  I'd love to hear one in the flesh!

Oh, my bitchin about the foreshortening of depth on my Rega P25 seems to have more to do with my positioning of the MM De Capo I's! :!:

When I pulled my speakers a full 3 feet from the wall, the Rega P25 was more than able to resolve the rear of the stage on Beethoven Symphony #3.  It was indistinct a few days ago, so once again, speaker positioning proves to be paramount :D

Beezer

Agreed
« Reply #22 on: 12 Sep 2003, 07:40 pm »
My listening area is less than optimal nowadays.  However, yesterday I snuck the speakers out another 4-6" from the rear wall and focused them behind the listening position.  It made a huge difference!  The guitars on Johnny Cash "Man Comes Around" really came to life.  Hmmm, bad choice of words - I'll miss that man!

Beez

JoshK

« Reply #23 on: 12 Sep 2003, 08:41 pm »
My Teres platter gets here on Monday!  Sorry, just wanted to brag a bit.  :oops:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 13 Sep 2003, 04:50 am »
well, battery p/s may be great - no argument from me there.  but, power from the wall can be pretty good  - the 4a, 0-20v lab grade power supply i got cheap off ebay was a worthwhile improvement over the stock p/s of the already excellent origin-live dc motor kit i am using on my turntable...  amazing speed stability gives excellent pitch...

doug s.

mcrespo71

« Reply #25 on: 30 Sep 2003, 07:56 pm »
I just lunched my Benz Micro Silver MC  :x and need to figure out if I should retip or trade in for a better cartridge in the benz or clearaudio line.  I have a Rega P25 with RB 900 arm, so I can't adjust VTA too much (I have a 2mm shim to raise back of arm if necessary).  Any suggestions from you vinylphiles?  Thought about upgrading to Clearaudio Virtuoso or Benz Micro ACE/Glider HO versions, but I can't really test the cartridges out, so I have to go on reviews or recommendations.

For now, I borrowed my father's backup- a Grado Reference Platinum, which sounds very nice, though not as explosive dynamically as the Benz.  BTW, I needed to add the 2mm spacer to the RB900 to get any high frequencies from this cartridge.  It initially sounded dead and my Reference 3A's never sound dead, so I figured either the cartridge really sucked in the high end or VTA was off.  Well, raising the back of the arm put the cartridge parallel with the record and now all is right with the world :P

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 1 Oct 2003, 01:15 pm »
mcrespo, i definitely wouldn't bother w/a re-tip on a cartridge that inexpensive - yust get another one, if ya liked it.  ie:
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?anlgcart&1068572453
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?anlgcart&1068430789

of course, if ya wanna upgrade, that's a different story!   :)   don't limit yer cartridge choices, due to the rega arm's height limitation issues, there'a a simple cheap work-around:

get it here, among other places:
http://www.hi-fi-accessories-1.com/index.htm

i tink there's another similar sleeve, made by another vendor; search a-gon, if interested...

hth,

doug s.

cyounkman

cartridgen
« Reply #27 on: 1 Oct 2003, 06:00 pm »
I've heard good things from all over about the Ortofon Kontrapunkt cartridges, and they would seem to mix well with your tastes and equipment...

mcrespo71

« Reply #28 on: 1 Oct 2003, 06:15 pm »
Good point about the Ortofon, Chris! :D

The Ortofons were on my short list, but the only ones I could find were low output.  Not sure if they made a HO version or not.  My tube preamps phono stage only has 48db of gain, so I need to look at MM or HO MC cartridges.

Short list so far:
Grado Reference Sonata
Rega Exact
Dynavector 20XH
Ortofon Kontrapunkt A/B- anyone know if these come in HO versions?
Benz Micro Glider/Ace
Clearaudio Virtouso
Clearaudio Aurum Beta S

That's my short list.  Any other recommendations.  My speakers are crazy revealing, so I need a cartridge that is fairly neutral, if slightly erring- I like it warmer rather than cooler.

mcrespo71

« Reply #29 on: 1 Oct 2003, 06:19 pm »
don't limit yer cartridge choices, due to the rega arm's height limitation issues, there'a a simple cheap work-around:

get it here, among other places:
http://www.hi-fi-accessories-1.com/index.htm

i tink there's another similar sleeve, made by another vendor; search a-gon, if interested...

Great workaround, but unfortunately it doesn't work for the RB 900 arm, which is mounted differently than the RB250s, 300s, and 600s.  I like the rigidity of the Rega, so even though it is not VTA adjustable, I can work around it with shims and intelligent cartridge selection.

I agree about the retip on the Benz Silver.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #30 on: 1 Oct 2003, 09:03 pm »
mcrespo, there's also a non-threaded adapter; perhaps that would work.  if not, yust sell the rb900 & get an o-l modded rb250, & pocket the difference!   :)  

o-l sez it's even better than their modded rb600 & rb900, due to the more rigid bearing mount - by the time they're done, their mod, which takes adwantage of the arm being supported on both sides, more than makes up for slightly inferior spec'd bearings.  according to o-l anyways.  i certainly am enjoying my o-l rb250...

re: ortofons, i really like my modestly priced mc25-fl, which *is* low output.  ortofon makes hi-output mc's like the x5-mc, but i dunno if they make spendier hi-output stuff.  here's a link:

http://www.ortofon.com/html/body_moving_coil_technical_data.html

doug s.

Bryan P

• http://www.otlamp.com/members/BryanPedersen/system.jpg
« Reply #31 on: 21 Nov 2003, 09:05 pm »
I have not ben by the circle for a while. I own a Teres TT with Morch arm. Ortofon Kontrapunkt B and Koetsu Rosewood. The Ortofon for the money is a killer. More air then Koetsu and faster. Both are great cartridges though.
http://www.otlamp.com/members/BryanPedersen/system.jpg
Cheers
Bryan :D [/url]

Bryan P

« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2003, 09:08 pm »
I have not been by the circle for a while. I own a Teres TT with Morch arm. Ortofon Kontrapunkt B and Koetsu Rosewood. The Ortofon for the money is a killer. More air then Koetsu and faster. Both are great cartridges though.
Cheers
Bryan :D [/url]
PS: I almost forgot. I just purchased a pair of De Capo i. I will let youknow how they work with my OTL's when I get them hooked up.

mcrespo71

« Reply #33 on: 21 Nov 2003, 09:09 pm »
Bryan- Killer Gear!!!  Atmasphere makes some of the BEST tube gear I've ever heard, though the amps with any power are a bit out of my price range.  Do you even have a CD player?  Can't see it from your picture.  I wish I could be a vinyl only audiophile, but I still need to buy some of the newer see dees.

Bryan P

« Reply #34 on: 22 Nov 2003, 02:06 am »
I owned a YBA 2 Delta til last year.  I never listened to it after I purchased my TT, even though I have over 3000 CDs. I use the CDs for the car and Motorhome.

Troutbum

turntable
« Reply #35 on: 13 Dec 2003, 06:39 pm »
VPI Scout with Grado Sonata
Krell KPE phono stage

pretty nice sound- vinyl is starting to take over my den

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #36 on: 13 Dec 2003, 09:16 pm »
It's great to hear AC's talking about vinyl. If you are a Vinyl junkie like myself (what ever city I'm in I search out the used record stores) and you buy used records you have to get Buggtussel Vinyl Zyme. I just tried it this weekend and WOW :hyper: I mean night and day difference. I have used record research, VPI, Nitty Gritty and home brews. This is by far the best IMHO. I new it was working when I noticed the vacuum tube on my VPI 16.5 was clear again. I re-cleaned albums with great results. The best $55.00 I have spent on this hobby.

Analog Set-up:

Nottingham Interspace Turntable W/Hyperspace platter (about 50lbs)
Nottingham Interspace Tonearm
Lyra Lydian
EAR 834P Phono Stage

The following Santa is bring for Xmas:( along with my MiniMax Preamp & Solar HiFi Fusion H1 Digital Amp) and New Cables.

1. Turntable will be sitting on Mapleshade 2" THREADED HEAVYFOOT CONES, 23x16x2 Maple Platform & 4 Isoblocks
2. Phono Stage on 3 H.A.L Ball-Cup BIG Tenderfoot w/Gabon Ebony Cryogenically de-stressed 1" ball.
3. H.A.L's Herbie's Way Excellent Turntable Mat

Well Back to the music(Listening to GONG "Gazeuse") Allan Holdsworth  one of the best guitar player ever!!

cyounkman

Re: turntable
« Reply #37 on: 13 Dec 2003, 09:32 pm »
Quote from: Troutbum
VPI Scout with Grado Sonata
Krell KPE phono stage

pretty nice sound- vinyl is starting to take over my den

Sounds like a nice setup -- I have often lusted after that Scout; so much more attractive than VPI's lower-end offerings. (Not that it's the deciding factor, but tt's are so visually imposing I think they really should be beautiful...)

The KPE is supposed to have some of the bass around from vinyl... do you agree? Does it support high- and low-output? I'm assuming the Grado is high output?

Quote from: Bryan P

Is that an M-60 MkII? If so, [pant, covet, pant].

Quote from: Bryan P
PS: I almost forgot. I just purchased a pair of De Capo i. I will let youknow how they work with my OTL's when I get them hooked up.

Please please do. Any word? Are they new? If so let us know how the break-in period goes for you...
I have always had the feeling that simple-concept designs (like tubes with no transformers in the way, single-ended circuits tubey or solid-state) will really capitalize on the DCi's transparency; although I don't have as much empirical evidence as I'd like. Of course, let me know if you want me to borrow your A-S... [hee hee cackle hack]

Rocket

turntable acquisitions
« Reply #38 on: 14 Dec 2003, 01:27 am »
Hi Guys,

I've just gone thru the process of buying a new turntable.  I live in oz and hifi is so expensive here.

i considered the vpi scout and it was a reasonable price but with their tonearm it was $2700au and the nottingham horizon and interspace were $1700au and $1900 respectively, the interspace did not come with a tonearm.

i just bought a bluenote piccolo turntable (including entry level mm cartridge) from audionote in singapore, it cost $1420 including taxes and shipping.  i did have a little bit of damage during shipping to the turntable and i'm in the process of getting that fixed (nothing major).  in comparison the oz dealer wanted $2000au without a cartridge.  pays to research on the internet.

i also have a perreaux phonostage.  great flexibility as i can use most cartridges, but not in the same league as what you gents have.  may'be a hagerman cornet later in the year.

best wishes

rocket

Rocket

turntable acquisition
« Reply #39 on: 14 Dec 2003, 01:32 am »
Whoops,

how does the bluenote sound?  pretty good in my opinion.  i think it would trounce a rega 3 which was about $200au cheaper.

i haven't listened to a cd in over a week.

regards

rocket