What classical music you listening to, luv?

Yog Sothoth

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #3480 on: 23 Feb 2022, 04:01 pm »
Thanks for those @eljr; we seem to share an overlap of musical tastes and some of those you've posted recently I have not heard of.  So I'm on the hunt.  I used to do a radio show where I featured 20th Century Composition (back in the 20th Century).

Most lately I've been revisiting Stockhausen's "Momente"!

eljr

« Reply #3481 on: 23 Feb 2022, 04:04 pm »

eljr

« Reply #3482 on: 23 Feb 2022, 04:10 pm »
Thanks for those @eljr; we seem to share an overlap of musical tastes and some of those you've posted recently I have not heard of.  So I'm on the hunt.  I used to do a radio show where I featured 20th Century Composition (back in the 20th Century).

Most lately I've been revisiting Stockhausen's "Momente"!

In truth, this is more of my default forum to post my spins. It comes in handy, there is not much here in teh way of classical.
More to your shared bio. I enjoy music since 1900 immensely. This is an omission which can get one  ostracized in classical circles. How ridiculous, isn't it?

Where was your radio program?

I also am fond of Early music and Baroque. Not so much the other periods.

My posting here as si few it does not really reflect much of anything except that I am not from teh "old school" of classical dinosaur enthusiasts.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3483 on: 23 Feb 2022, 04:12 pm »
Love having Qobuz.  Every Friday there's a ton of new releases (usually 20 to 30 every week), here's part of last week's releases, that I'm working through now:

eljr

« Reply #3484 on: 23 Feb 2022, 04:25 pm »
Love having Qobuz.  Every Friday there's a ton of new releases (usually 20 to 30 every week), here's part of last week's releases, that I'm working through now:

Enjoy!

I am very partial to new releases.  I just can't understand the folks who are stuck in either a period or, worse yet, spin the same old stuff they listened to 50 years ago. Nothing worse than a classical forum that is dominated by Solti and Karajan.
Don't get me wrong, I own hundreds of recordings (CD) by these folks and I enjoy them but NEVER to the exclusion of new music. I think that awful.

What was you favorite new release this year to date? I would be very interested.

Tyson

« Reply #3485 on: 23 Feb 2022, 04:48 pm »
Enjoy!

I am very partial to new releases.  I just can't understand the folks who are stuck in either a period or, worse yet, spin the same old stuff they listened to 50 years ago. Nothing worse than a classical forum that is dominated by Solti and Karajan.
Don't get me wrong, I own hundreds of recordings (CD) by these folks and I enjoy them but NEVER to the exclusion of new music. I think that awful.

What was you favorite new release this year to date? I would be very interested.

Oh there are so many!  But here's a few that I've really enjoyed so far.

Finally some solo piano transcriptions of great music besides the Beethoven stuff we normally get.  Katsaris is of course a master at this type of playing.

As a huge fan of Bach, a new performance of his work has to be very special to impress me.   Zimmermann puts in a performance that is unique and captivating.

Lisista has become one of my favorite pianists, anything she does is worth hearing.  The Ravel here is particularly good, IMO.

Just happened across this recording randomly.  Not a performer or any composers I'd heard before.  Just goes to show there is good music outside the standard repetoir.

Antinoni's Haydn is very much like his Vivaldi - volatile!  Some people hate it, I guess they prefer their Haydn to be grand (and boring), but I love the fire and passion here.

eljr

« Reply #3486 on: 23 Feb 2022, 05:10 pm »

eljr

« Reply #3487 on: 23 Feb 2022, 05:25 pm »

Lisista has become one of my favorite pianists, anything she does is worth hearing.  The Ravel here is particularly good, IMO.

Ms. Lisista won me over in early 2015 with her nearly 3 hours of Philip Glass selections.

I have her Scriabin release from last month but I was somehow unaware of this, 1908, Ravel and Rachmaninoff.
Now I know.

So much Bach released. It seems more than ever. Is your perception the same? Still, I never let it slip passed.

I will look at all, thanks!

eljr

« Reply #3488 on: 23 Feb 2022, 06:00 pm »
This place has moved so far from where it was when JimDGoulding started it so many years back. 

Can you be more specific?

Then you could discuss a great performance of something like a Shostakovich Sym #11.

And you can't now? Why?

I learned quite a bit here.

I feel very sure there is much more you can learn, here, now.

Now, there is so much obscure stuff here that it no longer has any relevance for the average classical listener.

Again, can you be specific? What obscure stuff are you speaking of? I see nothing here that is obscure at all. Could it be my vison failing? Or is it something else?

I don't look in here much anymore for that reason.

It may well be your loss but as you have been so vague, we really don't know, do we?

Peace, brother.

eljr

« Reply #3489 on: 23 Feb 2022, 06:09 pm »
I moved this to the top of my queue on recommendation.  :wink:

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #3490 on: 23 Feb 2022, 06:33 pm »
In truth, this is more of my default forum to post my spins. It comes in handy, there is not much here in teh way of classical.
More to your shared bio. I enjoy music since 1900 immensely. This is an omission which can get one  ostracized in classical circles. How ridiculous, isn't it?

Where was your radio program?

I also am fond of Early music and Baroque. Not so much the other periods.

My posting here as si few it does not really reflect much of anything except that I am not from teh "old school" of classical dinosaur enthusiasts.

I was on KCSB in Santa Barbara; our local UCSB station.

I honestly haven't sought out new classical recently as I am constantly expanding on multiple genres.  Lately it's been Exotica.  While I have a number of Denny and Baxter I wanted to go deeper.  But I digress too far afield of the thread's subject.  You've given me inspiration though and I've been looking for someof you suggestions.

At night lately as I go to sleep I've been listening to George Crumb's Makrokosmos pieces.  I very much the sound of his piano preparation and his playing inside the instrument.  While this type of music may not be everyone's cup of tea, it is a nice break from the more common composers.  I can't fault anyone for liking what they like though!

I was hospitalized once for about six months and at night I was starting to have trouble sleeping.  Once an intern told me "maybe you wouldn't have so much trouble sleeping if you didn't list to such nightmarish music."  All I could do was laugh!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3491 on: 23 Feb 2022, 07:38 pm »
Nothing worse than a classical forum that is dominated by Solti and Karajan.
Don't get me wrong, ...

Seems quite clear.
For me, there is nothing worse that a classical forum dominated by mid 20th century and later pieces.  Even something as overplayed and the big Beethoven symphonies is preferable to Henk Badings.   We simply like different stuff. 
Fortunately, there is enough music for all of us to find something we like... and avoid that which we don't.
Now that this thread is NOT dominated by Solti and Karajan (and their like), it's not of much interest to me. 

Tyson

« Reply #3492 on: 23 Feb 2022, 07:59 pm »
I am also a big fan of modern classical.  Aho is a very good, recent discovery of mine that I enjoy very much. 

A lot of my introduction to modern classical off the beaten path has come from 2 particular groups - the Kronos Quartet and Brooklyn Rider.  They cover a ton of interesting composers with top flight recordings.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #3493 on: 23 Feb 2022, 08:05 pm »
Seems quite clear.
For me, there is nothing worse that a classical forum dominated by mid 20th century and later pieces.  Even something as overplayed and the big Beethoven symphonies is preferable to Henk Badings.   We simply like different stuff. 
Fortunately, there is enough music for all of us to find something we like... and avoid that which we don't.
Now that this thread is NOT dominated by Solti and Karajan (and their like), it's not of much interest to me.

I wonder if at some point it would make sense to split this into child circles, one for traditional classical and one for contemporary?  Then those who are primarily interested in one would not be disrupted by the noise of the other.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3494 on: 23 Feb 2022, 08:18 pm »
I had suggested this a couple of years back in a PM with the moderator.  If you look at the past 200 post vs the first 200 post, it's a very different place.  Obviously for some that's an improvement, for others not so much.  But I respect those who post, regardless of preferences.  Speak your passion!

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #3495 on: 23 Feb 2022, 08:19 pm »
I had suggested this a couple of years back in a PM with the moderator.  If you look at the past 200 post vs the first 200 post, it's a very different place.  Obviously for some that's an improvement, for others not so much.  But I respect those who post, regardless of preferences.  Speak your passion!

Agreed!

eljr

« Reply #3496 on: 23 Feb 2022, 09:47 pm »
Seems quite clear.

As I suspected. Fair enough. I do think you miss much but I do see this all the time. In all genres.
People just  get set in their ways. There is a comfort to it for many. Heck, for most. Almost all in fact.
Still, I can't understand why you feel you can't place your spins here and discuss them.  Most classical forums I post in I am the one that stands alone... and you would not be standing alone. I believe I can safely say we all respect the old stuff. It really should be a two way street, no?

Peace

eljr

« Reply #3497 on: 23 Feb 2022, 09:52 pm »
I wonder if at some point it would make sense to split this into child circles, one for traditional classical and one for contemporary?  Then those who are primarily interested in one would not be disrupted by the noise of the other.

First, I have no ability to understand how posting modern classical could be considered disruptive. Nor do I understand how posting from the Romantic Period could be disruptive.

Second, I listen to all kinds of classical. Isn't this more common than people posting from only one era? Yes it is.

Tyson

« Reply #3498 on: 23 Feb 2022, 10:03 pm »
I'm only the Facilitator for the circle and not the ultimate moderator so my opinion is not authoritative.  But I'd be inclined to keep this circle as one single place and not split it up, if for no other reason than the amount of traffic we get is very low already, splitting up would decrease that even further. 

eljr

« Reply #3499 on: 23 Feb 2022, 10:07 pm »

Not that I have posted here much but if I had to jump from  thread to thread to post my classical spins, I'd just leave.

I don't think change is good nor bad, I think it the normal way of the world. That is all life is, change.

I would love to see and discuss your spins so I hope you continue to post here.

That you respect modern although you don't embrace it is maturity. Most posters on classical sites take the approach that a Phillip Glass spin, for example, is something to belittle. 

I personally enjoy when they do this as it opens the door for me to "expose" them. Then they become offended. Funny how that works.

Anyway, stay, I much prefer a well rounded forum. I also believe you will see more traditional spins from me than you may suspect although most will be recent recordings. The last few years have brought a significant sonic improvement and I look to take advantage of it whenever I can. .

Peace, brother