Van L Speakerworks "Chicago"

chgolatin2

Van L Speakerworks "Chicago"
« on: 19 Mar 2007, 02:49 pm »
Has anyone owned one of his products?  Especially his bookshelf monitors own line of product.  Seems to be very very knowledgeable about speaker systems  and other musical products.  I guess my question is geared to people that live in the Chicago land area or others that have purchase his products.

I did audition one of his products Monitor/bookshelf and I was very impressed with the sound but the $1,800 price tag was a bit scary lol! 

ssrearadmiral

Re: Van L Speakerworks "Chicago"
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2011, 02:33 am »
I've known Van L for over 20 years... I had him rebuild a pair of old Genesis 210's and had him recondition my old Carver equipment...15 years later I am still in love with his work... he's very knowledgable and honest about his products and others he doesnt even carry.... trust the guy... he's the only guy I could find around Chicago who was able to get me Robertson Audio products in their day and highly recommended them, even though it was one of his lowest overhead profit lines... good man

ssrearadmiral

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2011, 02:37 am »
I also owned a set of his speakers built by him in 1992 when it was Chicago Speakerworks (powered by older Bryston Amp/preamp, with 400 watts of AB), but I had to sell them due to financial problems at the time, and I got 3200 for the pair, but only paid 2100 for them... god I miss those speakers... they were too big for my apartment too... they really kicked butt

Passive Chappy

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2012, 09:46 pm »
I just heard his latest floor stander.  Very impressive.

I'd say if you compare his speakers to ones below his price point then they are expensive.  But if you compare them to higher price points then they are a bargain because they sound just as good or better than many speakers costing a lot more.

And John is a great guy that is old school in that if he can't get it fixed then it probably can't get fixed.   

zeke

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2012, 10:06 pm »
I bought some gear from John years ago.

Does he still have a "brick and mortar" store ? 

Passive Chappy

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2012, 02:34 am »
Yes he's still there.