Did anything surprise you at RMAF?

sumadoggie

Re: Did anything surprise you at RMAF?
« Reply #40 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:18 pm »
I really liked the little Clue speakers, pretty amazing bass for such a little speaker. If they would have worked away from the wall I likely would be getting a pair for the living room. They also had some nice Kentucky Bourbon, which I very much enjoyed.

mike

Hey Mike:

Yup, "the clue" has been specifically engineered to couple with the wall (and sit on 20-22" stands) to tune the room and achieve it's 28-32hz (room dependent, i.e., wall stiffness and some minor room treatment) low end.

In all honesty, in my small living space I can't have anything away from the wall, so, these will replace the pair of wall sitters I have now.

As for the Bourbon, I was happy to provide the Heaven Hill juice directly from Lexington for the first couple days until we had to run across the street to resupply.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2010, 06:00 pm by sumadoggie »

sumadoggie

« Reply #41 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:23 pm »

"The Clue" is not on their site yet.... LINK...

By the way, the sjofnhifi.com site now has "the clue" up at the site at their "store" link...
http://www.sjofnhifi.com/servlet/Categories?category=%28the+clue%29+loudpseakers

mgalusha

« Reply #42 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:28 pm »
As for the Bourbon, I was happy to provide the Heaven Hill juice directly from Lexington for the first couple days until we had to run across the street to resupply.

I *think* it was Elijah Craig and a Google search makes it appear like you were serving the 18yo single barrel. Very nice.  :thumb:

sumadoggie

« Reply #43 on: 19 Oct 2010, 08:24 pm »
I *think* it was Elijah Craig and a Google search makes it appear like you were serving the 18yo single barrel. Very nice.  :thumb:

Bingo!  I am NOT a Heaven Hill rep.  I've been doing a lot of bourbon tasting since I moved to the Lexington area a few years ago and IMHO, the Elijah Craig 18yo ($45) is simply the best bourbon out there under $100 and I'll put it up against those limited production 23yos ($$$) that sell out in a few months!   :wine:

OK, back to audiophilia...

sumadoggie

« Reply #44 on: 19 Oct 2010, 09:33 pm »
The Clue were definitely a surprise.  I'm using dual 15" powered subs at home to do what they were doing in that show room.  Very impressive.  It was a long-wall setup at the show, and the seating was pretty close to the other long wall.  As I walked through the middle of the room to the chairs, I remember the bass wasn't truncated that much.  Still, I wonder what they'd sound like from my fairly central listening position in my own room while placed on the short wall.  I definitely fight the bass suck in that listening position.  Still, I enjoyed my audition a couple years ago with the Guru, and these are a huge step forward from that.  If only I wasn't wedded to a higher efficiency system philosophy...

Ben

The long-wall set up was simply a matter of pragmatics.  The short wall had the hotel AC sticking out which prevented the correct placement for the clue's design.  And the seating position didn't have much to do with the rear wall (which was damped a bit to minimize reflections), it was simply a matter of getting the correct 1:1.18 distance (speaker seperation:listening position) for the listening position.  I plan on setting them up near-field in my listening space - maintaining the correct ratio - because my room is such a funky space.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2010, 11:52 am by sumadoggie »

mhconley

« Reply #45 on: 20 Oct 2010, 11:19 am »
The biggest surprise for me was the affect an RCM and Lloyd Walker's Prelude Quartet cleaning kit had on vinyl.  I've been into vinyl since I was 16 and have always used a Discwasher.  For the last several years I have pondered buying an RCM based upon other's recommendations and raves about how they clean-up the sound.  After hearing the affect first hand when Lloyd played a visitor’s LP, first as it was handed to him, then after a spin on an RCM, I am convinced they are well worth the money and will be purchasing one as soon as I can scrape up the cash.

Martin

K Shep

« Reply #46 on: 20 Oct 2010, 12:57 pm »
This was my second Audio Fest.  The first was the CA Show in Emeryville, CA.  I heard 2 Reel to Reel machines in California but sitting in the Evolution Acoustic room and listening to analog tape played through that system was amazing, IMO. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #47 on: 20 Oct 2010, 07:47 pm »
Bingo!  I am NOT a Heaven Hill rep.  I've been doing a lot of bourbon tasting since I moved to the Lexington area a few years ago and IMHO, the Elijah Craig 18yo ($45) is simply the best bourbon out there under $100 and I'll put it up against those limited production 23yos ($$$) that sell out in a few months!   :wine:

OK, back to audiophilia...

I'd add the Black Maple Hill 18 and the George T. Stagg to that list.... :D

roscoeiii

« Reply #48 on: 20 Oct 2010, 08:48 pm »
OT, but yeah George T. Stagg is a revelation...

mgalusha

« Reply #49 on: 20 Oct 2010, 09:14 pm »
Still OT, I had to have another taste of the Elijah Craig, so I picked up a bottle today.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #50 on: 20 Oct 2010, 09:16 pm »
One thing that surprised me the most at RMAF was the fact that there is a wine out there I actually like. I have never been a wine drinker but I did have a few glasses Friday night. Now if I could only remember what it was  :scratch:

sumadoggie

« Reply #51 on: 20 Oct 2010, 11:51 pm »
I'd add the Black Maple Hill 18 and the George T. Stagg to that list.... :D

Are you talking about the Black Maple Hill 18 Rye?  Yah buddy.  That's good hooch!

I haven't seen the Stagg at any stores in the Lexington area.  I'll keep an eye out for it.  :cyclops:

sumadoggie

« Reply #52 on: 20 Oct 2010, 11:54 pm »
Still OT, I had to have another taste of the Elijah Craig, so I picked up a bottle today.

Right on!  It's like candy...   :drool: