Salk Sound HT2's buying experience

Rocket

Salk Sound HT2's buying experience
« on: 29 Sep 2008, 03:02 am »
Hi Guys,

I ordered my Salk Sound HT2's a few months ago from Jim.  He was good to deal with swapping emails and taking the odd phone call from me.  I live in Perth, Western Australia and I was pretty nervous about spending so much money on a product I wouldn't have an opportunity to listen to prior to putting down my cash. 

Over the years I've read a lot of comments regarding Jim's products and his direct selling method.  I even swapped pm's with Dennis Murphy and Zybar regarding what I was after in a speaker.  For a long time I lived with a pair of custom made speakers that used a Raven 1 ribbon tweeter and 2 x 7inch focal mid/bass drivers in an mtm configuration.  It was a great sounding speaker but over a period of time I became bored with the sound and decided I needed a change.  I then built a zalytron speaker kit called the phenomenal speaker.  It was a bit of a disaster and it never really sounded that good imo.  I then bought a pair of Nuforce s9 speakers which I purchased as a demo from my local dealer.  These are a good quality audiophile speaker but I always felt they didn't perform as well as my raven/focal speaker.  I know its a long intro but it explains my nervousness.

Here is a picture of my speakers finished in africal pommele bosse:

As you can see from the picture (sure hope the picture works) I own a number of amplifiers.  Ps audio hca - 2(modded), 2 x N.E.W. 20.1's and a Son of Ampzilla.  I also use a modded pioneer as a transport into a perpetual technologies p3a (modwright level 2) and a N.E.W. p3 preamp.  I think I've got a pretty good system to evaluate these speakers.

I've probably got about 50 hours on the speakers at this stage.  After I set up the speakers in my listening room I decided to have a listen to them.  Remember, they had been sent half way around the world by sea.  On first listening to them I thought they sounded fairly good.  After about half an hour of warm up I decided to put Jim's cd into the mix.  The sound quality that I was getting from these speakers was pretty impressive.  I've read a lot of threads about Jim's opinion of speaker design and I can confirm that the midrange in these speakers is very good.

The bass is pretty articulate and for a speaker of this size they go quite low and in fact are enough for my needs.  The top end is really very good and provides a real natural sound quality.  A few months ago I read a review of zaph audio where ribbon tweeters were tested against some of the best dome tweeters and apparently they didn't perform as well as the domes on the distortion tests.  I personally would like to say that a ribbon tweeter certainly adds a level of naturalness that I just haven't heard in a dome tweeter.  Remember, I did have my nuforce s9's (Editors Choice Award winner by TAS) to compare them with. 

In comparison with my s9's the HT2's are more 3 dimensional, have a top end that I prefer and the bass is more articulate.  These speakers cost me $3695us compared to $5500us for the Nuforce speakers.  Not bagging the Nuforce but it certainly does show that Jim's direct selling method provides so much value to the consumer. 

Garbage in garbage out certainly describes these speakers.  I'm going thru my cd's at the moment and so many of them are fairly average compared with the tracks available on Jim's cd.  I've also read a number comments regarding opinions that the seas driver is overly analytical.  I personally don't agree I would say that in my opinion they are neutral and have what I would describe as a very classy sound and even my wife thinks they sound good.  I think they are rated at 88db and I'm currently using an N.E.W. 20.1 which provides 22 watts per channel.  I listen at moderate levels and the amp seemsto be more efficient than what is quoted on the website.  Btw the Blue Man group track sounds great on these speakers.

I would like to thank Jim and Dennis for providing a true audiophile speaker that is affordable to our community.  Can you think of another speaker that provides the level of finish and component value that these speakers do?

Best wishes

Rod
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2008, 06:38 am by Rocket »

Kris

Re: Salk Sound HT2's buying experience
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2008, 05:20 am »
Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you compared the HT2 to your previous MTM ( Aria 7RW?). I was interested in the Phenomenal kit, but i take your comments as a warning.

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2008, 06:27 am »
Hi,

I haven't had an opportunity to compare them to my previous speakers.  They weren't an aria design by orca but were specifically made for me in 2000 by War Audio here in Perth.  I know the speakers very well and these are just as good and perhaps better.

I personally wouldn't buy another speaker kit from Zalytron.  I had lots of trouble with the xover and the designer eventually admitted there was a problem with it.  We did some simple mods to the xover but it was still a disappointment.  The difference with one of Jim's designs is if a manufacturer changed a mid/bass driver in any way he would check the parameters to determine if an xover change was needed.  This doesn't happen with Zalytron.  I think a satin black pair of Salk Songtowers sell for about $1700us.  I'd rather buy them than a speaker kit from Zalytron.

Regards

Rod

DSK

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2008, 07:24 am »
Congratulations Rod, I know you have been eagerly awaiting these. Let us know your impressions as you and the ST's become accustomed to each other.

BTW... 22wpc sounds a bit on the low side to get the best from 88dB sensitivity speakers.

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2008, 02:24 pm »
Hi Darren,

I hear what your saying.  I keep swapping between the ps audio hca - 2, son of ampzilla and the n.e.w. 20.1.  At this stage the N.E.W. is more musical and  the only downsize at this stage is the bass is not quite as controlled when I compare the amp with the ps audio and SOA.

Regards

Rod

bkatbamna

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2008, 05:02 pm »
Beautiful speakers.  Your kids look cute too.

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2008, 12:11 am »
Hi,

That is a very old photo.  My daughter is now 17 years old.

Regards

Rod

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2008, 01:17 am »
Rocket -

Congrats on the safe receipt of your HT2s, and good to hear you are enjoying them. As has been noted by many, including myself, doing business with Jim is special, and he with his team produce a special product. Fine choice on the veneer too, very nice.

Long may your Salks sing !  :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2008, 01:54 am »
Hi Arthur,

I haven't mentioned this to Jim and its a funny story about the veneer.  Jim gave me a few options within my price range and I went thru his veracity of the month photos.  There was a speaker that I liked in bubinga/bosse pommele veneer.  Anyway I got confused between the two and what I thought was bosse pommele was in fact the bubinga.  Nonetheless I'm happy with the look of the speakers.

I've had buyers remorse on a number of occasions but I think I'll be fine this time.  The speakers have the type of sound that I want from my system.  Now all I have to do is to buy some better cd's and I'll be okay.

How about a list of recommended well recorded cd's that I can purchase?

Regards

Rod

ps I'm keeping the s9's for ht usage at this stage.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2008, 02:44 am »
Hello Rod -

Not knowing what your musical tastes/preferences are makes suggestions tough. If you enjoy jazz, and are open to at least a medium amount of social commentary (US) in your music one of the consistently best recorded artists I've found in my library is Gil Scott-Heron. Starting with his 80's releases on, regardless of how one view's his politics he is a fine poet, writer, and has a voice that plumbs the depths. Bit of a blend of funk, rock, & jazz. Sound quality is comparable to Jim's demo CD. I also had very good luck with a British Import, "The Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac", far surpasses some of the recent digital remasters I've picked up. One fine digital remaster is John Coltrane's "Soultrane". The Moody Blues', 'James Gang' & 'Traffic' remasters are pretty good as well.

As I run across anything else that jumps up as outstanding I'll make note and pass the info along. Yes - one particular thing about Jim's speakers is, if the recording quality isn't there you notice it immediately. (though I suspect that the quality of Jim's demo CD is maybe not entirely due to the straight transfer of 1's & 0's from source CDs. His resume does include 'recording engineer' if I read correctly    :wink:)

Enjoy
JD

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2008, 02:16 pm »
Rod -

Those speakers are stunning - love the veneer!  Great write-up, by the way.   :thumb:

I am very happy to hear that you are enjoying your new purchase.  There is nothing like having your doubts blown away when you first sit down and listen to Jim's products.  Many of his customers don't have the opportunity to hear before buying (such as yourself), but that fear usually turns to bliss upon the first critical listen. 

Congratulations, Rod.  Enjoy and welcome to the family!

P.S.  I posted your pics in the AVS owners thread because I saw that you hadn't yet.  I hope you don't mind. 

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 1 Oct 2008, 01:08 am »
Hi Nuance,

Thank you for posting the pictures for me.  The HT2 doesn't seem to get much press.

I'll be modding my 2 N.E.W. 20.1's over the next couple of weeks.  I intend to vertically biamp them.  I've tried monoblocking them (they have a mono switch) and the bass certainly has more authority but I lose some of the musicality.

I'll update my thread once I have completed these mods.

Regards

Rod

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:52 am »
Hi Guys,

Well I've had these speakers for a few weeks now.  I had a group of audiophile friends come by on Saturday to audition my new speaker purchase.  One of my friend's purchased my War Audio speakers that I loved so much and wouldn't sell them back to me when I begged him to.

He is a great guy but certainly doesn't hold back with his opinions on a product i.e. he commented that he thought my Nuforce s9's speakers sounded no better than HT speakers.  Whilst I don't agree with his opinion, they have a nice midrange and topend but the bass could do with a bit of work.

Anyway, I'm an audiophile addict.  I have 5 amplifiers and one is in the process of being modified and should be available by the end of the year.

Over the course of 4 hours we swapped amps and after a couple of hours in went the Nuforce s9 speakers to bring us back to reality.  Whilst they are a good sounding speaker, in comparison to my Salk Sound HT2's my new speakers provide more detail, a 3 diminension soundstage, air and a better articulate bass than my s9's.  I'm real audiophile nut and enjoy different sounds in my system and regularly swap components.  I could easily live with the s9's but I always found myself wishing for more but with the HT2's in my system I'm pretty satisfied with their hifi fidelity sound.

I'm purchasing a secondhand bel canto pre 1 in the coming weeks and I'll post some further comments on the speakers.  The bel canto was a screaming deal and I couldn't pass it up.

Btw my friend praised the sound of the speakers.

Regards

Rod