New, as yet unnamed, Open Baffle Speakers

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
New, as yet unnamed, Open Baffle Speakers
« on: 4 Jun 2008, 04:57 am »
We are currently building a few pairs of these speakers for customers.

Jim,

I am exceptionally interested in these new, as yet unnamed, speakers. They look like they would be exceptionally difficult to veneer. What type of finish upgrades will be available, if any?  What about hand-rubbed, Blackhole, and so on?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

jsalk

Re: New, as yet unnamed, Open Baffle Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2008, 05:42 pm »
Jerry -

We are currently building a few pairs of these speakers for customers.

Jim,

I am exceptionally interested in these new, as yet unnamed, speakers. They look like they would be exceptionally difficult to veneer. What type of finish upgrades will be available, if any?  What about hand-rubbed, Blackhole, and so on?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

The veneering is either extremely complex (nearing impossible) or quite easy depending on how you view it.  It would border on impossible to veneer over the round-over.  So we will not even attempt it.  That is the reason for the "guitar finish."  While this could certainly be taped of to provide a sharp transition, it is actually stain over raw MDF in this area.  At first we were going to tape it off, but later decided fading the stain into the veneered surfaces was a nicer look.

Since we are basically a "custom" shop, you can have virtually any options you desire.  One we will offer for certain is an upgrade to the G2 ribbon tweeter.  We have already modified the crossover for this option and are building a pair of them now.  Beyond that, you can upgrade to a premium veneer and a hand-rubbed finish.  The crossover caps (and inductors) can be upgraded and you can have bi-wire binding posts. 

Blackhole 5 cold certainly be provided as well.  I am not certain what difference it would make since the front baffle is 2" thick and all the side and rear walls are 1" thick.  The sidewalls are only 11" deep and there is internal bracing.  But if someone wants Blackhole 5, they will get it.

Someone recently asked if plinths could be supplied as well.  The answer is if that is what you want, that is what we will do.  We are building your speakers, so you should be able to have them any way you want (provided it does not compromise the basic design).

I hope this answers your questions.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2008, 07:52 pm »
Okay, I'll have mine at the low low introductory price of $299.99

No problem.  But the drivers are optional and extra - a few thousand extra. :)

- Jim

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2008, 04:50 am »

I hope this answers your questions.

- Jim
[/quote]

Jim,

It answers them all, perfectly. I very much look forward to hearing them. Will you be at RMAF?

Thanks again,

Jerry

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2008, 05:14 pm »

Jim,

It answers them all, perfectly. I very much look forward to hearing them. Will you be at RMAF?

Thanks again,

Jerry

Jerry -

We will be at RMAF, but which speakers we will be bringing is still up in the air.

- Jim