BMW 1 series.

mcgsxr

Re: BMW 1 series.
« Reply #60 on: 11 May 2007, 12:40 pm »
I agree with much of what JLM says about cars - I own a 2003 Accord V6, and love it though, overstuffed Civic or not!   :lol:

The FIT is a wonderful little car, perfect for commuting in traffic, or urban errand running.

Wish it had a little more poop though, it would be an absolute gas if it had even a 1.7 motor...

Next car - Mini or Civic, or Fit?  There are other toys, and some with great value props, but as I age (late 30's now), I want a little fun with my intermediate gas mileage and great storage capabilities. 

More hatchbacks please!

boead

« Reply #61 on: 11 May 2007, 01:04 pm »

More hatchbacks please!

Yeah, I agree.

I bought this car for commuting and I couldn’t be happier. Maybe a little over priced for a Honda but the Integra was a favorite of Honda and got a lot of tech that trickled down to other models. A new version of the Integra is supposed to surface in 09 or something and Acura will get to sell it in the N.America, we’ll see. The RSX was produced up till 2006.

This car gets great MPG, has ample power (160 and 210 HP versions), handles amazingly and has a hatchback with fold down rear seats and lots of storage space.

I almost bought an 07 Civic EX but stumbled on this car with 17k miles on it and a 100k B-B warranty for the same price and its WAY nicer to drive. The Civic felt cheap while the RSX doesn’t.

Lots of head, leg and elbow room too. Feels big inside. Crash test figures on this car are amazing, it’s a very safe car.

I played with the Fit but it was too small, was noisy on the road. Wouldn’t buy on. A friend at work just got a Mini and although it’s cute, its interior is horrible! Stupid layout that’s just trying to be different yet makes NO sense. Also, it actually IS too small with loads of road noise.

« Last Edit: 11 May 2007, 02:07 pm by boead »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #62 on: 11 May 2007, 01:38 pm »
JLM-Mark, I'd also agree with most of what of what JLM said with the strong exception of the comment about additional taxing for the price of the vehicle. QUOTE: "I'd recommend a heavy luxury tax for personal use pickups, SUVs, RVs, and any car selling for over say $40k". I never understood the point of the luxury tax, how is that justifyable? Price of a vehicle shouldn't make any difference in anything other that sales tax, which would remain the same rate regardless of price. Weight of the vehicle (which causes road damage), should have a bearing.

RANT: Why the hell are 10-15 year old civics still between two and three grand?!?!  :evil:

Bob

boead

« Reply #63 on: 11 May 2007, 02:03 pm »
JLM-Mark, I'd also agree with most of what of what JLM said with the strong exception of the comment about additional taxing for the price of the vehicle. QUOTE: "I'd recommend a heavy luxury tax for personal use pickups, SUVs, RVs, and any car selling for over say $40k". I never understood the point of the luxury tax, how is that justifyable? Price of a vehicle shouldn't make any difference in anything other that sales tax, which would remain the same rate regardless of price. Weight of the vehicle (which causes road damage), should have a bearing.

RANT: Why the hell are 10-15 year old civics still between two and three grand?!?!  :evil:

Bob
Since our consumer goods are mostly distributed by truck, the price of fuel and taxes imposed on truckers “could be” devastating to our economy.

BTW: 10-15 year old Honda and Nissan cars cost little to maintain and will actually drive well over 200k miles. My buddy has a 95’ish Maxima with just over 300k miles and still going strong. I know people with mid 90’s Accords with 150+k miles and they look and drive like new’ish cars. With the exception of the usual creaks and rattles which they ALL did right out of the factory. Regardless, they hold up to the test of time and again, are inexpensive to maintain.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #64 on: 11 May 2007, 02:12 pm »
Bo - I did a quick search this morning for Civics. The criteria was 92-95 Civics less than $1,000, within 75 miles of my house on Autotrader.com.
NO RESULTS  :o
I expanded the search to $3,000 and increased the distance to nationwide. Lots of hits now but they seemed to start at two grand and have about 200,000 miles on them. Jeez, that's alot of cash for that age/miles. I guess I'm still thinking old school (backwards :wink:), what happened to 150,000 mile, 10 year old cars for less than $500? :scratch:
Am I THAT old!

Bob

mcgsxr

« Reply #65 on: 11 May 2007, 02:17 pm »
No Bob, just that the 10 year old cars for $500 are not typically Japanese...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 11 May 2007, 02:34 pm »
No Bob, just that the 10 year old cars for $500 are not typically Japanese...
:|
Once again, we're getting into enough cash to make me second guess a third vehicle to "save money".

Bob

Levi

« Reply #67 on: 11 May 2007, 02:57 pm »
Hi All,  Here is what I did with my Gen7Accord.  It is now transformed!

mcrespo71

« Reply #68 on: 11 May 2007, 05:11 pm »

Dude, looks exactly like an Acura TL. :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #69 on: 11 May 2007, 05:16 pm »
Those appear to be TL 17 inch rims, so that makes sense.

What else - body kit, and mild lowering?

boead

« Reply #70 on: 11 May 2007, 05:31 pm »

Dude, looks exactly like an Acura TL. :thumb:

The Accord seen/sold in the US is only available in North America. Elsewhere the Accord is a different car which is nearly identical to the Acura TSX. Acura is only available in North America. The RSX is(was) a Honda “Integra” outside of N. America although many people think it’s a Civic because it looks similar.
Acura no longer sells a 2-door car but there is a European/Japanese Accord coupe coming out and it’ll likely be available as a TSX coupe.

Levi

« Reply #71 on: 11 May 2007, 06:22 pm »
Thanks all.

Basically, the Gen7 Accord shared most of it's suspension and engine parts with Acura TL and TSX
A great deal of research confirmed my findings.

rims are from 2004 TL which is 17x8" wide -45 offset. 

I just modified the suspension a little with the following parts:
Eiback Pro-kit spings which lowered the car 1.4" front and 1.2" back
Koni sports adjustable shocks,
TL 22" rear swaybars,
Neuspeed shock tower bar and Ingals rear camber kit.

I didn't install any body kit.  I also did the installation myself during my free weekend.  Well, alignment was done by a shop.

BobM

« Reply #72 on: 11 May 2007, 06:39 pm »
I've been looking at some of the new cars to replace my aging I30. The Acura TL has definitely caught my interest. I'm also looking at the BMW 3 series, the Lexus 250, Infinity G35 and such-like.

The TL doesn't really look as sharp as the others, but seems to have all the luxury amenities. It's front wheel drive is actually more of a plus to me than a detraction (I'm thinking snow traction rather than crazy cornering potential).

Anyone have any thoughts on these models or other options in the price range?

Thanks,
Bob

mcrespo71

« Reply #73 on: 11 May 2007, 10:05 pm »
I've been looking at some of the new cars to replace my aging I30. The Acura TL has definitely caught my interest. I'm also looking at the BMW 3 series, the Lexus 250, Infinity G35 and such-like.

The TL doesn't really look as sharp as the others, but seems to have all the luxury amenities. It's front wheel drive is actually more of a plus to me than a detraction (I'm thinking snow traction rather than crazy cornering potential).

Anyone have any thoughts on these models or other options in the price range?

Thanks,
Bob

You may want to wait for the new Acura TSX, which I think comes out next year.  From some of the prototype photos I've seen online, it looks tremendous.  Also, the new Honda Accord Coupe comes out next year as well and is a very, very positive styling change over the G7 Accord which I own.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #74 on: 14 May 2007, 04:18 pm »
My mother used to have a car like this:
She had a red one, an automatic. Just some 900kg and 1.5L with close to 90 BHP.
That was a rocket!!!
It's a 1989/1990 Mitsubishi "colt".

Superfun to drive FAST!!! Hehe.. And that's just what my mother used to do..
She has that leadfoot still! Not much for slow driving my mom, I can tell you that..  :lol:

Imperial

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #75 on: 15 May 2007, 03:33 pm »
Bob,

I don't like paying taxes (or resultant higher prices) anymore than anyone else.

Without higher highway diesel taxes, we will just continue to subsidize the trucking industry for all the road/bridge damage they cause.  BTW my brother owns a small trucking business, but I don't believe in subsidies.

My idea for taxing expensive cars is to provide the simpliest way to pay for road wear and polution damage (from fuel use and resource depletion) without penalizing those who can't afford to replace gas guzzlers (like yourself).  Note that some European have had a 100% luxury tax on all cars and home electronics since the 70s.

boead,

I looked at an Integra back in '90, but the dealer soured the deal, by only offering $600 for my Sentra in trade (sold it a year later for $1500).  It was a high precision machine, but required high revs to get real power from it (it was a dog with an automatic).  Bottom line, it didn't fit me or the way I drive most of the time.  We don't have an Acura dealer nearby, so service would have been a hassle.  And I'm too cheap to need/want fancy wheels, leather, etc., so the TL/TSX is expensive compared to an Accord.  But the RSX is one that I kept an eye on for a long time.

Imperial,

Just to put things in perspective, you would have gotten laughed off the road if you tried to call that car a rocket in the U.S. (or Canada).

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #76 on: 15 May 2007, 09:11 pm »
Imperial,

Just to put things in perspective, you would have gotten laughed off the road if you tried to call that car a rocket in the U.S. (or Canada).

I tell you, I'd been real worried for my mothers health if we lived in the USA...
As you say, cars are faster and more powerfull there...

Dude, my mothers sister live in Canada, and I'm sure she also has a leadfoot! :thumb:
I remember that they had a car that "smokey and the Bandit" Trans-Am you know.
My mother driving 403Cid of V8... Then I'm gonna walk! Not sit in that car!!! Hehe!

Imperial

tomjtx

« Reply #77 on: 15 May 2007, 10:10 pm »
I heard the 08 Jetta is a clean burning diesel legal in california and gets 60mpg, highway.

That's what I'm waiting for cause I drive about 25,000 highway miles a year