Need a truck!

mca

Need a truck!
« on: 17 Mar 2007, 05:50 pm »
Our work truck was stolen from our business parking lot two weeks ago. It was a 1999 Ford F250 SD extra cab long bed with only 50k miles on it  :(

We should get our insurance check in about two weeks (not sure how much yet) and need to start doing research on a new or used low mileage truck. We have had our share of problems with the Ford including worn front suspension parts, head gasket problems, power window, wiper and cruise control problems.

We are considering looking at the Dodge Ram 2500 or even a Chevy or GMC. Also don't know if we are better off buying a new or lightly used truck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Need a truck!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2007, 06:01 pm »
We have had our share of problems with the Ford including worn front suspension parts, head gasket problems, power window, wiper and cruise control problems.

I am a big Chevy/GM fan. I do like the ruggedness of Ford trucks but have always found the same problems you mentioned (I was a certified tech for 10 years). Not a fan at all of Dodge trucks and they also have the same issues with their suspension.

Truck recommendations are like speakers, everyone will have their opinion. I think as long as you stick with American muscle, you should be good to go. Although, some of the new import trucks are looking strong.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2007, 06:20 pm »
Me: Big Chevy fan.
I was a service writer for a Chevy dealership. Use to be a mechanic for an independant shop and have worked on them all.
I've always owned GM products. Have had 5 Chevy/GMC trucks. (Upgraditis)  aa
Just sold my Silverado less than 2 months ago...Probably still listed here in the "For Sale" ads.  :( Took less than I wanted since a buddy bought it.  :roll:

Silverado Dude! Test drive one...

Bob

s_cervin

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2007, 06:25 pm »
Currently own a 2002 Silverado Z71.  Paid it off last year and has been a great truck!  Drove the new Silverado and now want it.

I vote Chevy or GMC.

Double Ugly

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2007, 07:24 pm »
Dodge has far and away the best diesel engine IMHO, should you decide to go that route.  That said, I also believe the diesel engine is the *ONLY* positive aspect of owning a Dodge.  I've owned several Dodge/Chrysler products, and have sworn to never make that mistake again.

I agree with the posts above; go Chevy or GMC.  I still own the 4WD extended cab GMC I bought new in '91, and aside from some recent issues resulting from the nefarious activities of my ex- and/or her recent-high school graduate boyfriend when I was serving overseas, virtually nothing has gone wrong.  I purchased a Denali pick-up truck (emphasis on pick-up truck, not the SUV) in '02 and still believe it's the coolest truck on the road (the 4-wheel steering ROCKS!).  I sold it when I retired because I didn't want the payment, but I still miss it.  :(

If these specs meet or exceed the demands you'll place on the truck, I'd definitely consider it, especially if you intend to do any towing.

Bemopti123

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2007, 07:45 pm »
Good choice on the GMC/Chevy truck option.  I have seen my contractor, who did repairs to my house and he has a F-150 1999 truck.  The engine gave out at 150K...  The replacement of the engine would have run into around 8K for the Triton or 3500 for a reconstructed one.  I think I am expecting too much, but do believe that for a work truck, that did not do massive hauling whose 150K were done mostly in long trips, the engine gave out too early.  Other than that, I just have had a bad taste in Ford cars.  The new Toyota Tundras look really good.  Do not know if they are up the snuff in terms of durability as the Chevies though.

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2007, 08:13 pm »

Got to love the Chevy.

Slow time noted only a 8 second weekend in the quarter.
Normal weekend with the large engine plus the bottle direct port we run a 6.95 index.

Bottom line Chevy as far as parts go more readily available both mass market parts as well as after market parts.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2007, 08:18 pm »
I'd like to see an 8 second Chevy truck, but the entire picture doesn't display. Only a couple inches at the top??  :scratch:

Bob

bprice2

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2007, 08:57 pm »
Our work truck was stolen from our business parking lot two weeks ago. It was a 1999 Ford F250 SD extra cab long bed with only 50k miles on it  :(

We should get our insurance check in about two weeks (not sure how much yet) and need to start doing research on a new or used low mileage truck. We have had our share of problems with the Ford including worn front suspension parts, head gasket problems, power window, wiper and cruise control problems.

We are considering looking at the Dodge Ram 2500 or even a Chevy or GMC. Also don't know if we are better off buying a new or lightly used truck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I can't speak highly enough of my '05 Toyota Tundra.  Its not a super duty, but serves my needs...carries all my crap and pulls a 3k pound camper trailer.  It also gets slightly better gas mileage than the others of its size.

BTW, those are some good looking dogs.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2007, 10:26 pm »
I would give Nissan a serious look.

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2007, 02:49 am »
I wouldn't touch a Dodge truck. Everyone I've known that's had one has had immense problems with them.

Go for the GMC's.

topround

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2007, 04:28 am »
Diddo on the Dodge ..steer clear

mca

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2007, 05:43 pm »
Thanks for all the comments guys. Looks like I should check into the Chevy/GMC trucks as they seem to be the favorite so far!

MaxCast

« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2007, 06:19 pm »
I've had:
85 Ford F150 ext cab
89 Ford F150 ext cab
95 Chevy 2500 ext cab
04 Chevy 2500 crew cab

All have been good trucks.  I could go either way.  I picked the chevy 04 because of GM points and I liked the inside.  I like the look of the Fords on the outside, but I am on the inside.

I'd buy the Chevy again so my vote is the Chevy.

RooX

« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2007, 06:31 pm »
I work in a truck fabrication shop.  Our main client has 120+ vehicles on the road.  About 40% ford, 40% gm/chev and the remainder is dodge.  All of these are 1 ton dualies.

Over the years (going on 5 now) when we do our yeary refurb on these vehicles there has been a trend.  The GMC/chevs have far far more issues at the end of their service cycle.  If it were only a few trucks then i wouldnt pay much attention.  But of the 100+ chevs that we brought through so far each has been practically scrap worthy at the end of their 3-year duty.  The fords.. well a lot of them were in rough shape, but 90% of the time they were good to go for another year or two.  Between the two, for heavy duty work, i would go for ford for sure.

Now the Dodges on the other hand, we have had extremly good luck with them.  although there are far fewer on the road for this company.  I don't want to add them into the main debate as its not the same sample size.  The 2 dozen or so on the road have been extremly reliable for them though.  Now on this same note, i have had 2 dodge 1 ton's, both diesel.  One had constant problems.  the other had a few problems, one of which could have been VERY expensive had i not threatened court action.  Take that for what its worth. 

As a note..  i really hate all the big three, so i like to think of my self as relativly unbiased.  And to boot i have owned at least one of each of their big trucks.. And have been relativly satisfied with each of them.

lazydays

« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2007, 06:35 pm »
if your gonna buy a truck to work with, there are several things you need to think about here. The Ford frame is several times stronger than a G.M. frame, and maybe twice as strong as the Dodge (I'm assuming your looking a 3/4 ton or heavier trucks here). The G.M. truck has the better transmission (once again assuming you want an automatic), but if it's a manual transmission then they all are about the same.
    Engine wise the Cummins is the class of the field. Taken care of the; this engine will go an easy 500K miles. There are a few warranty issues in the past with the Navistar engine, but they seem to have a handle on them right now.
Still plan on a new transmission every 150K miles (assuming you really use it hard.
    Stay away from a Duramax built before 2005. Many warranty issues (major ones at that). If you buy the Chevy make sure it's a 2007 due to frame issues.
If you happen to buy a Chevy with the Allison automatic (the rest leave something tobe desired), put it on a lift and look at the transmission tag plate
(on the side right above the oil pan). Look for the numbers "933" tobe stamped on there. If they are not there go look at something else, as the gears are not made to Allison specs. To be exact they're soft.
    Now here's another thing to think about. It's no secret that Allison Transmission is for sale (G.M. is broke). Last I heard Mercedes and Catapillar were the front runners in what looks to be a major bidding war. With Cummins somewhere in there as well. If Cat buys it the transmission will appear in everybody's truck (this is what Ford and Dodge need). If Mercedes get the place then look for Dodge to use the 2000 series
(a stronger transmission than what Chevy trucks are using, and already developed for Mercedes). We have a trailer set up with an eight by ten by eight foot tall block of concrete on it to bust drive trains in spectacular fashion. They put 750+K miles on the Cummins and a series 2000 transmission going up and down hills and in stop and go traffic. When the broke that drive train down, they felt the engine had at least another hundred thousand miles left in it. But it did wear out one transmission at about 300K miles. They same setup with a Duramax was good for about one third of the milage with the bottom end of the motor scattered all over the place (massive block failure). Might add here that the six speed automatic was really designed for Ford, but for some odd reason Ford and G.M. just couldn't get together on the deal. So it went in the G.M. trucks.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2007, 06:40 pm »
I wouldn't touch a Dodge truck. Everyone I've known that's had one has had immense problems with them.

Go for the GMC's.

you need to visit the dynos where they test them all. It can be very, very ugly with a lot of oil all over the floor. But day in and day out one drive train will stand out. Buy a Diesel with a manual transmission and forget it. Last of all make sure it's a Cummins.
gary

mca

« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2007, 10:51 pm »
Stopped by a Chevy dealer today and checked out a 2500HD Silverado. Nice looking and driving truck. One thing that did worry me is the truck bed felt like it is made of very thin gauge metal. We haul a lot of equipment and wood crating around and it seems like the bed would not hold up. Maybe they are all like that now, but I remember our 1999 Ford to be a heaver gauge.

TomS

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2007, 10:58 pm »
Stopped by a Chevy dealer today and checked out a 2500HD Silverado. Nice looking and driving truck. One thing that did worry me is the truck bed felt like it is made of very thin gauge metal. We haul a lot of equipment and wood crating around and it seems like the bed would not hold up. Maybe they are all like that now, but I remember our 1999 Ford to be a heaver gauge.
Aren't they using a composite material for the bed now?

RooX

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2007, 01:54 am »
composite is a nice way of putting it :P