Car Questions

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Car Questions
« Reply #60 on: 16 Feb 2007, 10:44 pm »
You should be fine. Two dangers exist letting it get too low:

- Running out of fuel
- Sloshing the fuel around and making the fuel pump suck air. That's bad for it. The fuel is the pumps lubricant.

I'd run it to about 1/8 tank.

Bob

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #61 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:38 pm »
Actually I kind of look at 10 percent ethanol in gasoline as "hamburger helper" for fuel.  My mileage drops 10 percent in Minnesota winter when that farmer subsidy is always added.  it is an insane additive inasmuch as it takes more than a gallon of gas or diesel to make a gallon of corn grain fuel.  It works in Brazil where the source is sugar cane, but not in the USA from corn grain.  See a recent issue of Scientific American for details.

Diesels?  I had a couple of VW ones years ago, they shook all the accessory equipment on the engines apart - -  starters, AC hoses, pumps, etc. Saved on fuel, paid thru the nose on repairs, and gutless wonders.  Only fun was driving up Colorado mountain passes smogging everyone behind me with solid black stinking smoke screens while holding up the whole line of traffic.  :)

I am still happy with my "friend of OPEC special" Audi S6.  See you all at Audiokarma in Detroit end of March, driving there non-stop from Minn to share a display room with Salk Speakers assuming I have any equipment I can spare to display.  Sales are beyond outstanding right now.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #62 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:50 pm »

Diesels?  I had a couple of VW ones years ago, they shook all the accessory equipment on the engines apart - -  starters, AC hoses, pumps, etc. Saved on fuel, paid thru the nose on repairs, and gutless wonders.  Only fun was driving up Colorado mountain passes smogging everyone behind me with solid black stinking smoke screens while holding up the whole line of traffic.  :)

Regards,
Frank Van Alstine
So that was you!!
I always thought it was a little ironic that those Mercedes diesels, which really are quite nice to drive, make life so unpleasant for anyone within 400 feet of their back end. Same with diesel Jettas. I pull way back, or pass ASAP.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #63 on: 17 Feb 2007, 12:31 am »
Ok Dan good.
Now, drive it hard - blow it out!!

Drive it like you stole it, is my motto.

Oh yeah. Keep it shiny side up, is my other motto.  :lol:

Cheers  :green:

Dan Banquer

« Reply #64 on: 17 Feb 2007, 01:06 am »
Ok Dan good.
Now, drive it hard - blow it out!!

Drive it like you stole it, is my motto.

Oh yeah. Keep it shiny side up, is my other motto.  :lol:

Cheers  :green:

You want me to do that commuting back and forth on 128? God help me and every driver who comes in contact with me! :rotflmao:
             d.b.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #65 on: 26 Feb 2007, 12:47 pm »
Well It's been over a week and I have refueled. I did notice while the Chevron Techron fuel additive was in the tank some increased acceleration and less "coughing" as I would go down a hill without my foot on the pedal. I also noticed that my mileage remained at it's 30 miles per gallon, but that's a good thing as the weather last week really slowed up traffic for a few days so I wound up in stop and go traffic and very slow moving traffic.
I will report back next week if all is still looking good or not.
Thanks Bob;
              d.b.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 26 Feb 2007, 06:26 pm »
Good deal Dan, keep us posted.

Bob

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #67 on: 26 Feb 2007, 06:35 pm »
You want me to do that commuting back and forth on 128? God help me and every driver who comes in contact with me!

Gotta live on the edge a little.  :wink:    C'mon, take a walk on the wild side, Dan.  :lol:

Cheers

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #68 on: 27 Feb 2007, 03:16 pm »
You want me to do that commuting back and forth on 128? God help me and every driver who comes in contact with me!

Gotta live on the edge a little.  :wink:    C'mon, take a walk on the wild side, Dan. 

Yea, come on Dan, just tell the arresting officer you were doing it in the interest of the environment.  :lol:

Bob

Dan Banquer

« Reply #69 on: 27 Feb 2007, 03:48 pm »
O.K. guys, I did get the tacometer up to 4,000 rpm a few times, but it's still pretty tough to chirp the tires with a 100 horsepower engine and Dunlop SP 40's. Besides, I'm 54 and by definition too old for this s__t
I'd swear you guys are bunch of overgrown juvenile delinquents. :lol:
                 d.b.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #70 on: 27 Feb 2007, 03:51 pm »
You say that like it's a bad thing.  :lol:

Cheers  8)

Dan Banquer

« Reply #71 on: 1 Mar 2007, 03:26 pm »
I just filled up the car again and from what I am seeing I am getting about 33 miles per gallon for commuting. The Saturn is rated for 25 city and 38 highway, and I usually get about 30 mpg for commuting in the winter. So given the numbers I'd have to say the Chevron Techron fuel additive helped fuel efficiency also.
Thanks again Bob!
                d.b.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #72 on: 1 Mar 2007, 03:37 pm »
No problem Dan. I suck so much good audio information from these forums, I feel like I need to return the favor when and how I can.
Don't be shy about dumping another bottle in the tank Dan. The carbon that got knocked away isn't all of it, there is still some hanging on in your engine.

Bob