Introduction - Khartago

tomoy

Introduction - Khartago
« on: 15 Jan 2021, 05:47 am »
Previous owner of a Stratos Stereo Plus - happy to be back with Odyssey.  Klaus put together a killer Khartago (SE?) and I couldn't be happier.  Just received: Magnepan LRS which need more time to break in, but it's already the best sound I've ever had. Seeing straight through to the venue.

I don't get a lot of time to really go OCD on the whole system, but I'm looking forward to optimizing and breaking things in, listing to and loving the music again!

GentleBender

Re: Introduction - Khartago
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2021, 09:43 am »
Congratulations Tomoy. Good clean power is what Klaus delivers. I’ve got the same problem, hardly enough time to sit and listen so I haven’t had much time to optimize. One day...

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2021, 04:36 pm »
Tomoy, I think you're going to be very happy with the Odyssey/Magnepan synergy.  I've had my Kismets driving a pair of LRS's for several months, and it sounds so good that I find myself actively clearing more time in my schedule for listening.

You'll need to break in the amps for a few weeks, but in my case, the Maggies sounded amazing right out of the box.

Merckx1

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2021, 03:43 am »
Still a month until my LRS’s arrive but for now, the MMG’s are doing quite well!
6-month old Khartago SE, Schiit Saga pre, Topping E30 dac, Sony 1000es Blu Ray up-sampling my cd’s and sending digital out. This photo shows Amazon music streaming through a fire stick. Adequate for lazy listening!

Question: what is the 4-ohm power output of this amp?

Dishman442

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2021, 01:07 pm »
I’m pretty sure they double the wattage comfortably at 4 ohms. The trouble is pinning down a wattage spec from Kraus.  He holds true to the concept that wattage is no indication of sound quality. I agree with him but that doesn’t help me evaluate the effectiveness of his amps driving my impossibly low impedance speakers.

I gave up and just bought them...

Merckx1

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2021, 04:25 am »
30 hours now with the LRS’s and WOW! The Khartago SE is the perfect match. Yes it gets warm but not any warmer than it did with the MMG’s. The midrange and speed and soundstage are just breathtaking! Interestingly, these Maggie’s sound better with their tweeters on the inside! I’m just floored that the Khartago can do so well with such inefficient speakers (80db, 2.8 ohm ?!?!). Really impressed and relieved, frankly!

tomoy

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2021, 06:51 am »
Congratulations! yeah, I'm in love with the system.  I ran some test tone warbles and it sounds like the LRS pair are making a little bass hump in the 60-80Hz region, and a pretty sharp dropoff below that.  Makes it easy to integrate my off center subwoofer, because that hump localizes things well in the soundstage.  I set the woofer to come in around 60Hz and the level a little lower than that hump (matching the LRS output in the 100-200Hz area), and the integration is much better than I expected.  A single REL 5/Ti.  Okay, that's all speaker talk.

I need some time to really let loose to get the Khartago singing.  Also thinking about putting it into a 2' x 2' cabinet which has a front glass door.  Doesn't seem to run hot, and I'll make sure the rear top vents properly, but I'm a little concerned about in-cabinet heat.  Don't want to melt my disc collection.