2021 Capitol Audiofest - Report, Review, and Pics

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
2021 Capitol Audiofest - Report, Review, and Pics
« on: 8 Jan 2021, 06:56 am »
2021 Capitol Audiofest

November 5th - 7th, 2021

Twinbrook Hilton
Rockville, Maryland

https://www.capitalaudiofest.com/home
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2021, 06:01 am by mix4fix »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
Re: 2021 Capitol Audiofest - Report, Review, and Pics
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2021, 03:14 pm »
CAF sent an email, so I believe it is on track.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2021, 12:30 am »
In addition to already requiring masks, CAF now also requires that all participants provide a COVID Vaccination Card or recent (One week or less) negative test to enter. If you have any questions you can always contact us directly.

:thumbdown:

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2021, 02:41 am »
I'm not sold. I have sat in many Capital Audiofest listening rooms. Almost all would fit the definition of 'close contact'- less than six feet for fifteen minutes or more- to a 'T'. Only the large ballrooms are capable of maintaining a reasonable level of social distancing. I have lost interest in shows in general as the target demographic has gone further and further 'upscale' and (in the case of CAF) the headphone space (the one area of the quality audio market that is actually growing) has been almost nonexistent at recent shows. Good luck to those who go; be safe. In my observation precautions often receive more 'lip service' than actual commitment, and people aren't careful. Not worth the risk to me.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2021, 03:49 pm by dB Cooper »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2021, 07:37 pm »
I am curious on who would show up or not show up.

Regardless of medical status, it is none of their concern if one is vaccinated of not. Listening to crappy music on overpriced audio gear has nothing to do with health. We experience the same people throughout our daily lives in stores, airports, and the like with or without masks, with or without vaccinations, and with or without social distancing. Nothing is different.

bkatbamna

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2021, 08:59 pm »
First time in the history of the world, the people who are supposed to be immune from a vaccine are afraid of getting said disease from people who aren't immunized.
I hope they actually hold the show so that people can get out and about.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2021, 01:24 am »
Gentleman please, one would think you might read the show info before posting.  Attendees will be required to show proof of vaccination or a recent negative test and a mask wearing mandate is in place.  These are reasonable precautions in such a crowded venue with people sitting and walking cheek to jowl throughout the hotel.  I just received my booster, but doubt I'll be attending.  I'm all for mask wearing and support the mandates, but personally I hate wearing a mask and have no interest in paying to wear one.  I'd of course comply if I was there.  The hotel is fully booked so I don't think they'll miss me.  As far as enforcement, I agree with coop, I doubt anyone will be told by hotel or event staff to put on a mask, individual exhibitors may enforce it in their rooms.   All the best to those who go, it seems they're doing what's reasonable for safety, let us know how it goes.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2021, 01:51 am »
Gentleman please, one would think you might read the show info before posting.  Attendees will be required to show proof of vaccination or a recent negative test and a mask wearing mandate is in place.  These are reasonable precautions in such a crowded venue with people sitting and walking cheek to jowl throughout the hotel.  I just received my booster, but doubt I'll be attending.  I'm all for mask wearing and support the mandates, but personally I hate wearing a mask and have no interest in paying to wear one.  I'd of course comply if I was there.  The hotel is fully booked so I don't think they'll miss me.  As far as enforcement, I agree with coop, I doubt anyone will be told by hotel or event staff to put on a mask, individual exhibitors may enforce it in their rooms.   All the best to those who go, it seems they're doing what's reasonable for safety, let us know how it goes.

FYI: CAF website doesn't get updated on the regular.

They can not discriminate if you do not have the vaccine or not. It is discrimination. It is none of their business. No other business asks for it. Why should they?

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2021, 02:01 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the information about the show. I'd like to make it there one day and hopefully not too long into the future :).

Cheers Rod

cheech

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2021, 02:19 am »
Do a google search, there are a host of venues in DC that are requiring proof of vaccination

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2021, 02:22 am »
FYI: CAF website doesn't get updated on the regular.

They can not discriminate if you do not have the vaccine or not. It is discrimination. It is none of their business. No other business asks for it. Why should they?

It's not really a question Steve.  Businesses all over the country are mandating vaccines, and especially venues like concerts, which CAF is very close to when talking about Covid-19 mitigation.  We just had The Stones here and vaccines were mandated, you couldn't even get in with a test.  I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't get a vaccine that's monumentally safe and effective when 700,000 have died from the disease it protects you from, but you have the freedom not to and just get a test if you wanna go, so again, I don't see the issue.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:18 am »
It's not really a question Steve.  Businesses all over the country are mandating vaccines, and especially venues like concerts, which CAF is very close to when talking about Covid-19 mitigation.  We just had The Stones here and vaccines were mandated, you couldn't even get in with a test.  I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't get a vaccine that's monumentally safe and effective when 700,000 have died from the disease it protects you from, but you have the freedom not to and just get a test if you wanna go, so again, I don't see the issue.

You need to understand what Freedom means. Showing proof of vaccination or test result is not freedom. This is "Papiere, Bitte" for the modern age. Verstehen?

First time in the history of the world, the people who are supposed to be immune from a vaccine are afraid of getting said disease from people who aren't immunized.

Somebody explain that to us. You are immune. Why are you guys worried about? The non-vaccinated should be the ones worried.

I hate masks as well. but, I tolerate that for now. But, I can always rip off that mask, take a break, and put on a fresh one. You can undo being injected.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:44 am »
Seeing people rail against the vaccine is like watching them rail against seatbelts.  It's so obviously a benefit it's hard to believe people won't do it.  What happens when you get in to an accident while exercising your 'freedom' to not wear a seatbelt?  The same thing that happens if you are exposed to covid without the vaccine.  You are more likely to die.  Except with covid, you're much more likely to take out the rest of your family and friends too. 

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:52 am »
Certainly safety is on everyone’s mind right now, both vaccinated and unvaccinated. But one can’t help but wonder about the success of the show. Lots of vaccinated people don’t seem to feel safe for some reason and won’t attend. And unvaccinated folks are not allowed. That’s a lot of potential customers eliminated right there.

I’ve got to wonder if future “shows” will be a bit like the French eating their sack lunches in front of the cafes instead of patronizing the cafes. Perhaps the future of shows will be smaller, private club type shows. I think these used to call these “dealers”.  Or parties...

Then you have the train wreck of the “virtual” shows. That’s what I need right about now, more screen time. 🙄 

Glad I have had my fill of shows over the years so I don’t feel like I’m missing anything.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2021, 04:37 am »
Seeing people rail against the vaccine is like watching them rail against seatbelts.  It's so obviously a benefit it's hard to believe people won't do it.  What happens when you get in to an accident while exercising your 'freedom' to not wear a seatbelt?  The same thing that happens if you are exposed to covid without the vaccine.  You are more likely to die.  Except with covid, you're much more likely to take out the rest of your family and friends too.

If I don't wear a seat-belt, I am the only one that has deal with the physical consequences if I crash. If I don't get vaccinated, I am the only one that have to deal with consequences of getting so-called sick. But, that is not happening. Whether I get the vaccine or tested is irreverent, I am being forced to prove it or be discriminated on. Do i have to enter from a separate entrance? Do I have to sit in the back of the listening rooms?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2021, 05:29 am »
Please remember a couple things here.  You can go without a vaccine if you get tested, I think I remember within 3 days or something.  Everyone, vaccinated or not, has to wear a mask, there's no discrimination.  You are not forced to go, if you don't like the rules, just don't give them any money and do something else that weekend.  Lastly fellow members, we do want to stay away from politics, public health is okay I assume.

Tyson

« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2021, 06:05 am »
If I don't wear a seat-belt, I am the only one that has deal with the physical consequences if I crash. If I don't get vaccinated, I am the only one that have to deal with consequences of getting so-called sick. But, that is not happening. Whether I get the vaccine or tested is irreverent, I am being forced to prove it or be discriminated on. Do i have to enter from a separate entrance? Do I have to sit in the back of the listening rooms?

So, you're saying a business does not have the right to refuse service to you for any reason that they see fit?  That seems like you are encroaching on the rights of that business.  Aren't you in favor of free enterprise?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2021, 06:42 am »
So, you're saying a business does not have the right to refuse service to you for any reason that they see fit?  That seems like you are encroaching on the rights of that business.  Aren't you in favor of free enterprise?

If one can't discriminate against skin color, age, or sex, why is our medical condition all of a sudden allowed to be? Does CAF need to know my blood sugar measurement, or my A1C as well? I am a non-smoker, so I will admit that.

Tyson

« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2021, 06:49 am »
If one can't discriminate against skin color, age, or sex, why is our medical condition all of a sudden allowed to be? Does CAF need to know my blood sugar measurement, or my A1C as well? I am a non-smoker, so I will admit that.

Skin color, age and sex are not communicable diseases.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2021, 07:21 am »
Skin color, age and sex are not communicable diseases.

Cold/flu or pink eye is transmittable.

Shouldn't the vaccinated be safe? Shouldn't the un-vaccinated be the only ones to worry? Does vaccinated or tested people automatically mean that they can't pick up Covid when they stop for gas, coffee, or to use the toilet on their way to CAF? What about the attendee or the staff who took the Metro to the hotel?