Got my Rev b last night...WOW

jonbee

Got my Rev b last night...WOW
« on: 12 Mar 2013, 04:24 pm »
I bought the used Rev b Dave was selling a couple of days ago. Dave upgraded it with Furutech FPX(G) receptacles.
Just for grins I plugged it in and simply plugged my existing PS Audio Power Plant Premier into the Rev b and let her rip, with everything else run out of the PPP.
All I can say is WOW!
I live in a high RFI area, and have used many power conditioners over the years, alway with good results. A year ago I moved to the PPP from a PS Audio Quintet, and was delighted with the improvement in air, separation and naturalness. I wasn't sure adding another component to the chain would be an improvement, but I can testify that the improvement from chaining the PPP and the Rev b is at least as large as going from the Quintet to the PPP.
I listened to several very familair cuts that I had just listened to critically the night before, as well as just before the Rev b install. All the elements of the mix stood out with greater separation, less grunge, and a cleaner, smoother presentation. Mid and low bass had better definition and impact. None of these effects required careful listening. Even with no tweaking, I'm delighted. This relatively modest investment improved listenability as much as a successful dac or preamp upgrade, and nearly as much as a successful amp upgrade.
I need to play around some more with configuration, power cables, and the like. But Kudos to Dave for this product. Giant killer in the power conditioner market? You bet!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Got my Rev b last night...WOW
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2013, 07:32 pm »
Thanks for the review.  I like it when the listener is more involved in the experience through the use of one of my products.  That is why I do what I do.  For me music has been a way of life for many years.  When I started this business a few years ago I wanted to share what I had learned over the years to enhance the reproduction of well recorded performance.  I'm listening to Joe Bonamassa playing his butt off as I write this.  Getting closer to the performance is what I am all about.  Get the crap out and let the music flow................................... ....................................  if only my fingers worked as good a Joe's......... 8)

Dave

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2013, 07:36 pm »
Just an update. More listening showed that while the window was much clearer chaining the Rev B and the PS Audio PPP, but there were some odd changes. The bass was much stronger, enough so that I shut off my sub to improve the balance. Also, the top end was much more recessed and hence the sense of dynamics was altered.
So- I followed Dave's recommendation and moved my NCore amp from the PS Audio so that it was powered out of the RevB directly.
This reverted everyhting back to where I was, in terms of balance and dynamics. I switched the sub back on and enjoyed the balanced I was used to, with the improved clarity and openness the Rev B brought.
I'm mystified about the reason for these effects, and I'll need to move a few more thing around before I'm satisfied I've got it optimized. Maybe the PPP will have to go away?
I'll ask Dave for his thoughts on this.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2013, 08:02 pm »
  The PS Audio device WILL restrict dynamics of any amp. Try if you like plugging the PS Audio device into the REV. "B" and plug only your digital into the PS Audio. See if you like it. If not sell the PS Audio and get an Uber Buss.
    For starters now a Triode Wire Labs 7+ power cord for the Rev "B" will make ya happy too.

charles

jonbee

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2013, 08:12 pm »
  The PS Audio device WILL restrict dynamics of any amp. Try if you like plugging the PS Audio device into the REV. "B" and plug only your digital into the PS Audio.
charles
I never had any issues with dynamics with the amp running out of the PS Audio directly, along with the source components, but it really made a difference now that the Rev B is chained in. I'm contemplating cabling changes as a next step, but I really like the sound now.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2013, 08:41 pm »
Just an update. More listening showed that while the window was much clearer chaining the Rev B and the PS Audio PPP, but there were some odd changes. The bass was much stronger, enough so that I shut off my sub to improve the balance. Also, the top end was much more recessed and hence the sense of dynamics was altered.
So- I followed Dave's recommendation and moved my NCore amp from the PS Audio so that it was powered out of the RevB directly.
This reverted everyhting back to where I was, in terms of balance and dynamics. I switched the sub back on and enjoyed the balanced I was used to, with the improved clarity and openness the Rev B brought.
I'm mystified about the reason for these effects, and I'll need to move a few more thing around before I'm satisfied I've got it optimized. Maybe the PPP will have to go away?
What you are experiencing is not uncommon when you are dealing with power supply and demand.  The PS Audio Power Plant Premier is a great piece when used properly.  What you are describing is the current limiting aspect of power regeneration.  Simply put, the PPP cannot swing the current required instantaneously for low frequency output without help.  You had to pump up the sub to get bass out of the PPP.  When the RevB was introduced into the system it made the PPP more efficient in supplying instantaneous power.  That created an imbalance in the frequency response of the system making the high end recessed which decreased the impact and dynamic swing of the system.  It is a systemic response that you are hearing. Everything in that systems' frequency response relies upon everthing else to sound "right". 

Psychoacoustics is an interesting subject.  Everything effects everything in the auditory realm (as in others).  It is all about balance and synergy.  That is what makes audio fun and hard at the same time.  "Real sounding: they are here!" audio is where science meets art in a way.  People that have been doing this for a long time use the term 'voicing the system' quite a bit.  When you can wrap your head around that term you are getting closer to the real deal in audio.  Getting closer to the performance is what all of this obsessive/complusive derangement that we have is all about, isn't it?

Dave

smargo

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2013, 08:52 pm »

what we find as "wow" one day - becomes what was i thinking another day - sometimes we think something improves the sound but 6 months later were not so sure

i think the real acid test of a component - does it make a difference still after 6 months of listening

there are many times after i have a component for some time and then switch back to what i was doing previously - im not that impressed with what i have done

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2013, 09:07 pm »
I never had any issues with dynamics with the amp running out of the PS Audio directly, along with the source components, but it really made a difference now that the Rev B is chained in. I'm contemplating cabling changes as a next step, but I really like the sound now.

The PS audio as Dave stated is a fine device but it is known for limiting dynamics of an amp. Sorry but a fact. As I mentioned try the PSA with your digital front end and see what you experience. As an experiment try the amps only plugged into the PSA. then use the Rev "B"for the amps only. That experiment should prove everything. Have fun trying.
  Trying to help here not put down anything. I'm to old for that nonsense. :wink:

charles

jonbee

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2013, 09:48 pm »
Psychoacoustics is an interesting subject.  Everything effects everything in the auditory realm (as in others).  It is all about balance and synergy.  That is what makes audio fun and hard at the same time.  "Real sounding: they are here!" audio is where science meets art in a way.  People that have been doing this for a long time use the term 'voicing the system' quite a bit.  When you can wrap your head around that term you are getting closer to the real deal in audio.  Getting closer to the performance is what all of this obsessive/complusive derangement that we have is all about, isn't it?
Dave
Yes indeed. After doing this for 45 years I'm still learning, and my system just keeps getting better.
Once again, my hat is off to Dave for a high value piece of the puzzle.

jonbee

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:59 pm »
I spent most of yesterday listening, with the PS Audio PPP powered by the RevB and supplying power to the front end components, and the NCore amp plugged into the RevB, as Dave suggested.
The improvement from the addition of the RevB is transformative. As noted before, there is much less grunge and more space between instruments and more solid, defined bass, but the sum total of these is a dramatically improved soundstage, in size and clarity. It is no longer possible to locate the speakers with my eyes closed! A real glimpse of audio nirvana, at a reasonable price.
I can't say how much of this is due to chaining the PPP with the RevB and how much would be the case with the RevB alone. My equipment rack makes it difficult to mix and match things, so I may not be able to answer that, but the Rev B is the best bang for the buck change to my system in a long time. I now think it adds as much to my system as upgrading my amp and preamp to the AudioGD C3/NCore400 from my Cullen modded PS Audio GCC-500 integrated. That upgrade cost 3x what the Rev b did- and I would do it again in a heartbeat.